Indulge in the delightful warmth of this homemade caramel cinnamon rolls recipe, a soft, gooey delight that combines a fluffy and gooey brioche dough filled with cinnamon filling and a cream cheese topping flavored with salted caramel sauce, creating a sweet and comforting treat that's perfect for any time of day.
We already love my classic brioche cinnamon rolls and their cream cheese frosting, but this new twist on salted caramel cinnamon rolls is simply irresistible.
This upgraded version of traditional American cinnamon rolls adds an extra layer of indulgence by combining the sweetness of cinnamon with the richness of my salted caramel sauce.
Get ready for a delightful treat with these delicious cinnamon rolls, generously filled with sweet cinnamon goodness and topped by a rich cream cheese frosting infused with the subtle flavors of caramel.
Why you'll love this recipe
You need these ingredients to make homemade cinnamon rolls with caramel filling:
- Sweet roll dough: made of whole milk or alternatives, instant dry or fresh baker's yeast, all-purpose or other flours, light brown or white sugar, a room-temperature egg, softened or melted unsalted butter, and a pinch of salt.
- Caramel cinnamon sugar filling: Use softened unsalted butter, flavored brown sugar for a caramel note, cinnamon for warmth, and a touch of vanilla extract to flavor.
- Caramel cream cheese glaze: A blend of Philadelphia cream cheese, powdered sugar, homemade caramel sauce and vanilla extract.
How to make Salted Caramel Cinnamon Rolls
Here are some quick visual instructions. Don't forget that full recipe instructions with exact ingredients can be found in the recipe card below!
- Rehydrate the instant yeast in the warm milk and leave to stand for a few minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the flour, light brown sugar and salt at medium speed.
- Add the milk and yeast mixture, then the egg and softened butter, and knead for about 7 minutes until you get a soft dough slightly sticky.
- Cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap and leave the dough rise for 1h30-2 hours in a warm place, until doubled in size.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the cinnamon filling ingredients, softened butter with brown sugar, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Degas the brioche dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to a large rectangle using a rolling pin, to a thickness of about 5 mm.
- Spread the cinnamon filling over the entire surface of the dough using an angled spatula.
- Roll the brioche dough on the long side into a long sausage
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 12 slices about 3 cm thick.
- Place the rolls in a large baking dish greased with butter.
- Cover and let the rolls rise a second time for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 180°C and bake the caramel rolls for around 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- In a clean medium saucepan, heat white sugar over medium heat without stirring until it turns into a liquid caramel with a brown color.
- Then, add the heavy cream in several portions while stirring to incorporate it.
- Finish by adding the pieces of salted butter and stir until fully incorporated, resulting in a smooth caramel sauce.
Caramel cream cheese icing
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl: cream cheese, softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and salted butter caramel.
- Mix with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Spread the caramel cream cheese glaze over the top of the warm buns and enjoy.
Tips for this recipe
At room temperature: Caramel cinnamon rolls can be stored at room temperature for 3-4 days in an airtight container without the cream cheese frosting.
In the fridge: With the cream cheese frosting, store the rolled buns in a food container or wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to a week.
How to freeze them? Once the cinnamon rolls have completely cooled, place them in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat cinnamon rolls? Allow them to thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating them in the oven for about ten minutes at 150°C (300°F).
How to make the dough ahead of time (Overnight dough)?
To prepare these caramel cinnamon rolls in advance, a crucial step involves letting the brioche dough rise in the refrigerator overnight after rolling it into a spiral with the cinnamon and brown sugar filling. This initial slow fermentation period in the cold allows the dough to develop its flavors and texture.
The next morning, all you have to do is bake these delights directly in the oven, and you'll be rewarded with freshly made, wonderfully soft cinnamon rolls for breakfast.
How to prepare cinnamon roll dough by hand?
To make cinnamon roll dough without a stand mixer, you can use a large mixing bowl and a sturdy wooden spoon. Begin by combining your ingredients in the bowl and mixing until a rough dough forms.
Then, knead the dough by hand on a well-floured surface until it becomes smooth and elastic, which may take around 10-15 minutes.
More Cinnamon roll recipes
I hope you love these caramelized cinnamon rolls with caramel filling. If you make it, be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Happy Baking!Print