This salted caramel cake recipe is made with a soft buttermilk cake, filled with a mascarpone whipped cream and salted caramel sauce and my easy Swiss meringue buttercream frosting.
Salted caramel cake
Delicious and very tasteful, this layer cake is perfect as a birthday cake or any other occasion! A soft and moist sponge cake with buttermilk, filled with a mascarpone whipped cream and a layer of homemade salted caramel.
For the outside, a thin layer of Swiss meringue buttercream and a drip (runny icing) made with salted caramel.
- Stand mixer or an electric mixer
- Cake pan 6 inch / 15 cm diameter
- Rotating cake stand
- Angled spatula
- Icing smoothener
You will also like : Best 10 cake decorating tools for great cakes !
How to make the salted caramel cake
- Line two 6 inch / 15 cm cake pans with parchment paper.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of your stand mixer and whisk for about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one by one, making sure to mix well between each addition.
- Meanwhile, sift together dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the first mixture in several batches.
- Pour into your 2 prepared pans and bake in the oven (see recipe card).
- After cooling, cover with cling film and store in the refrigerator.
Mascarpone whipped cream
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, whip for a few minutes until you obtain a thick and homogeneous whipped cream.
Salted Caramel sauce
To make this recipe, follow the step-by-step instructions in my article: Salted caramel sauce
Swiss meringue buttercream
For this recipe, follow the step-by-step instructions and video of my recipe: Swiss meringue buttercream frosting
Assembly and smoothing
- Cut the cakes into equal thicknesses.
- Place a cake plate on your cake turntable and place a first layer of cake on it.
- Spread a layer of mascarpone whipped cream on your cake and add a small amount of salted caramel in the middle.
- Cover with another layer of cake and repeat this step for all the layers.
- Apply a thin layer of buttercream over the whole cake.
- Smooth the cream with an icing smoothener.
- Drizzle the salted caramel sauce at the right temperature over the top of your cake and drizzle it over the sides.
You will also like : How to frost a cake for perfect finish !
Store your cake in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days and take it out about 30 minutes before serving.
- Chocolate praline drip cake
- Buttercream the best recipes
- Layer cake with chocolate and vanilla ganache
- Salted caramel chocolate chip cookies
- Salted caramel chocolate tart
- Triple chocolate cheesecake
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print