How do I make chocolate sponge molly cake? Certainly the best recipe for chocolate cake for your layer cakes! A cake both dense and light, a perfect texture for your layer cakes but also for your cupakes!
Do you already know the famous Molly cake? This soft cake, with its dense and light texture, is the favorite recipe of pastry bloggers ! Try now the chocolate version of this perfect sponge cake!
Follow me in this step by step article and I'll tell you everything you need to know about this cake. How to make it and above all my advice to make it a success!
The molly cake
We all already know this perfect sponge cake recipe which can be summed up in 2 words: Molly cake! A soft cake with a dense but light texture.
A cake without butter but with whipped cream instead, which makes it even tastier.
Here is the version of the chocolate sponge molly cake, always the same texture, the same melting in a soft, light chocolate cake.
Why choose chocolate molly cake
- It's good! The tasty and light chocolate version.
- It is quick and easy to prepare.
- Perfect texture to make a layer cake or cupcakes.
- It's light!
Useful tools for this chocolate cake
- Cake pan, aluminium round, brand that I prefer PME and WILTON.
- A stand mixer, or an electric mixer
- Cake release spray, in addition to baking paper for perfect mould release
- Cake tester, to check that the cake is cooked through.
- A cake leveler, to cut layers of the same thickness.
- Spatula, to gently mix the preparation.
- Cooling rack, perfect for cake cooling
- Eggs at room temperature.
- White granulated sugar.
- Cold heavy cream with at least 30% fat.
- All purpose flour for cakes.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, to flavor chocolate cake.
- Baking powder, or baking soda to make the cake rise.
- Salt, to enhance the taste.
How to make Molly Chocolate Cake
- Whisk eggs and sugar with electric mixer or food processor at high speed for 5 minutes. The mixture should double in volume.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture while running the mixer at medium speed.
- Beat the cold liquid cream into a whipped cream with an electric mixer.
- Add the whipped cream with a spatula, or use the mixer in a food processor for this step.
- Bake the cake, pour the batter evenly into 2 baking trays lined with parchment paper. And bake in the oven for the time indicated.
- Check the baking time by dipping the cake tester in the center, or use the blade of a knife.
- Allow the cakes to cool for a few minutes before removing from the moulds and leaving them to cool completely on a cake rack.
- Keep the cakes in the fridge, covered with cling film at least 2 hours before cutting them with a sponge cake lyre.
Storage of the chocolate molly cake
This cake can be stored for a long time at room temperature, in an airtight storage box.But you can also store it in the freezer, in a special freezer bag, for up to 3 months.
How to make a successful chocolate molly cake
- Avoid over-mixing the dough, gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Beware of overbaking, which may cause the cake to dry out.
- Bake the molly cake in 2 moulds for a homogeneous cooking.
- Cut out with a sponge cake lyre your cakes very cold to avoid crumbs.
What toppings and creams to use with this cake
- Smoot chocolate ganache frostin, only for smoothing the outside for fondant cakes.
- Chocolate ganache, to fill the inside and smooth the outside, perfect for a cake that needs to remain at room temperature.
- Swiss meringue butter cream, to garnish, decorate and smooth your cake.
- Whipped vanilla white chocolate ganache, to garnish, decorate and smooth the outside.
- Chocolate kinder ganache, to garnish your layer cake.
- Best vanilla buttercream, perfect for piping and smoothing.
- Italian meringue buttercream, to smooth, garnish and decorate.
Other sponge cake recipes
Don't forget to tag @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my Chocolate sponge cake Molly Cake recipe and to add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
Chocolate sponge Molly cake
- 175 g flour
- 75 g cocoa powder unsweetened
- 250 g sugar powder
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 250 ml heacy cream whole at 30 % of mg
- 10 g baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ tsp baking soda (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 320° F /160°C (fan heat) and line 1 cake tin with parchment paper, 6 inch / 15 cm in diameter.
- In the bowl of your stand, whisk together the eggs and sugar for 5 to 8 minutes, the mixture will double in volume and turn white.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, yeast and baking soda.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the egg-sugar mixture while running the mixer at medium speed and until the mixture is homogeneous, then set aside.
- In another container, place the cold whole heavy cream and whisk well, then gently fold in with a spatula.
- Pour your cake batter into your pan and bake for about 45 - 55 minutes.
- Check the baking with a cake tester or the blade of a knife, the cake is cooked when the tester comes out clean.
- Let your cake cool for about 10 minutes in the pan before removing it from the mould, then let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- When your cake has completely cooled, wrap it in cling film and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours before cutting.