How do I make chocolate sponge cake ? Certainly the best recipe for for your layer cakes! A cake both dense and light, a perfect texture for your layer cakes but also for your cupcakes!
Do you already know the famous Molly cake? This soft cake, with its dense and light texture, is the favorite recipe of pastry bloggers ! Try now the chocolate version of this perfect sponge cake!
Follow me in this step by step article and I'll tell you everything you need to know about this cake. How to make it and above all my advice to make it a success!
Chocolate sponge cake
We all already know this perfect chocolate sponge cake recipe which can be summed up in 2 words: Molly cake! A soft cake with a dense but light texture.
A cake without butter but with whipped cream instead, which makes it even tastier.
Here is the version of the chocolate sponge molly cake, always the same texture, the same melting in a soft, light chocolate cake.
Why choose this chocolate sponge
- It's good! The tasty and light chocolate version.
- It is quick and easy to prepare.
- Perfect texture to make a layer cake or cupcakes.
- It's light!
Useful tools for this chocolate sponge cake
- Cake pan, aluminium round, brand that I prefer PME and WILTON.
- A stand mixer, or an electric mixer
- Cake release spray, in addition to baking paper for perfect mould release
- Cake tester, to check that the cake is cooked through.
- A cake leveler, to cut layers of the same thickness.
- Spatula, to gently mix the preparation.
- Cooling rack, perfect for cake cooling
- Eggs at room temperature.
- White granulated sugar.
- Cold heavy cream with at least 30% fat.
- All purpose flour for cakes.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, to flavor chocolate cake.
- Baking powder, or baking soda to make the cake rise.
- Salt, to enhance the taste.
How to make chocolate sponge cake
- Whisk eggs and sugar with electric mixer or food processor at high speed for 5 minutes. The mixture should double in volume.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture while running the mixer at medium speed.
- Beat the cold liquid cream into a whipped cream with an electric mixer.
- Add the whipped cream with a spatula, or use the mixer in a food processor for this step.
- Bake the cake, pour the batter evenly into 2 baking trays lined with parchment paper. And bake in the oven for the time indicated.
- Check the baking time by dipping the cake tester in the center, or use the blade of a knife.
- Allow the cakes to cool for a few minutes before removing from the moulds and leaving them to cool completely on a cake rack.
- Keep the cakes in the fridge, covered with cling film at least 2 hours before cutting them with a sponge cake lyre.
How to store or freeze
This cake can be stored for a long time at room temperature, in an airtight storage box.But you can also store it in the freezer, in a special freezer bag, for up to 3 months.
How to make a successful chocolate sponge cake
- Avoid over-mixing the dough, gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Beware of overbaking, which may cause the cake to dry out.
- Bake the molly cake in 2 moulds for a homogeneous cooking.
- Cut out with a sponge cake lyre your cakes very cold to avoid crumbs.
What frosting and filling use with this sponge cake
- Smoot chocolate ganache frostin, only for smoothing the outside for fondant cakes.
- Chocolate ganache, to fill the inside and smooth the outside, perfect for a cake that needs to remain at room temperature.
- Swiss meringue butter cream, to garnish, decorate and smooth your cake.
- Whipped vanilla white chocolate ganache, to garnish, decorate and smooth the outside.
- Chocolate kinder ganache, to garnish your layer cake.
- Best vanilla buttercream, perfect for piping and smoothing.
- Italian meringue buttercream, to smooth, garnish and decorate.
Other sponge cake recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print