Recipe for the best soft and fluffy chocolate sponge cake recipe called molly cake, made with whipped cream and unsweetened cocoa powder (for a two 6 inch / 15 cm round cake pan)
- 3 eggs - at room temperature
- 250 g (1 1/4 cups) Sugar - granulated
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 250 ml (1 cup) Heavy cream - full fat and cold
- 175 g (1 1/3 cups) Flour - cake flour
- 75 g (2/3 cup) Cocoa powder - unsweetened
- 9 g ( 2 tsp) Baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 320° F /160°C and line 2 6-inch/ 15 cm round baking pans with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, whisk together the eggs and sugar for 5 to 7 minutes, the mixture will double in volume and turn white.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the egg-sugar mixture while running the mixer at medium speed and until the mixture is homogeneous, then set aside.
- In another bowl, place the cold heavy cream and whisk well for 3 minutes until smooth and firm, then gently fold in with a rubber spatula until the preparation is well mixed.
- Divide your cake batter into your 2 cake pans and bake for about 45 - 55 minutes (Check for baking with a toothpick inserted in the center and it should come out clean)
- Let the chocolate sponge cake cool a bit in the pan before removing them and letting it cool completely upside down on a wire rack.
- When your cake has completely cooled, wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours before cutting.
Storage: Up to 3-4 days at room temperature and up to 3 months in the freezer, wrapped in plastic wrap or in a storage box.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: cake, sponge, layer cake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Chocolate sponge cake, chocolate molly cake, chocolate cake