The best chocolate drip cake recipe ! An ultra indulgent and very chocolatey cake, made with a fudgy chocolate mud cake, an easy praline ganache, a perfect pink Swiss meringue buttercream and a purple drip glaze.
What is a drip cake?
The drip cake or dripping cake, is simply a layer cake with an icing that drips on the sides. This gives it the effect of drops that overflow, hence the name "Drip". Very trendy and popular in cake design, it is perfect for a birthday cake, a baby shower and other special occasions.
The drip brings a very gourmet style, you can add color to the drip and it is also often decorated with lots of treats on top, such as candies, meringues and other sweets.
This chocolate drip cake is made of a chocolate mud cake, filled with a praline chocolate ganache and a thin layer of pink Swiss meringue buttercream frosting.
For the decoration, I added donuts, mini eclairs, malteser and some sugar decorations. And the dripping is made with white chocolate ganache and purple food coloring.
5 ways to make drips :
The drip can be made in several ways, with :
- Chocolate ganache
- Royal icing
- Salted caramel sauce
- A fruit coulis
- A syrup
How to make the chocolate drip cake recipe
- Line 2 round baking pans of 6 inch / 15 cm diameter with parchment paper.
- Melt the dark chocolate, butter, instant coffee and water in a saucepan over medium heat until smooth and cool.
- Mix together the eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil in a container.
- Mix together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in another container.
- Add the contents of the saucepan to the egg, milk and oil mixture.
- Stir in dry ingredients until mixture is smooth and still liquid.
- Fill the 2 prepared pans with the batter and bake for about 45-50 minutes.
- Turn out of the pan and let cool completely on a rack.
- Cover with cling film and put them in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
The praline ganache
- Bring the heavy cream to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Break the chocolate into pieces in a bowl, then pour the hot cream over it and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the praline until you have a smooth mixture.
- Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
The pink buttercream frosting
Follow the step by step instructions for the : SMBC - Swiss Meringue Buttercream and add a touch of pink food coloring.
Making the drip
- Chop the white chocolate and put it in a container with the heavy cream.
- Heat in a double boiler or in the microwave on low power.
- Add a small amount of purple food coloring.
- Set aside at room temperature, it should be 95°F / 35°C when ready to use.
Layering the cake
- Whisk the praline ganache at medium speed for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Fill 2 pastry bags with the ganache and the other with the pink buttercream.
- Cut your cakes into several layers of equal thickness using a cake leveler.
- Place a cake board on your turntable and place a first layer of cake and pipe the buttercream around the edges and fill the inside with praline ganache.
- Cover with a new layer of cake.
- Repeat this step for all cake layers.
- Let your cake sit in the fridge for at least 20 minutes if needed.
How to smooth the cake
- Spread a very thin layer of Swiss buttercream over the whole cake (crumb coat) and let it sit in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- Cover with a new layer on the whole cake.
- Smooth with an icing smoother.
- Decorate the drip cake
- Pour white chocolate drip over the top of the cake and spread until the drip goes over the sides. (If it is too runny, put it in the fridge to set the icing)
Decorate with your treats
Keep the cake in the fridge for at least 1 hour (take it out about 20 minutes before serving)
Other layer cake recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print