How to make homemade chocolate cinnamon rolls, soft chocolate rolls dough with a buttery cinnamon chocolate flavored filling mixture and a delicious chocolate glaze on top ! A triple dose of chocolate in this highly satisfying treat.
You already know the great recipe for Cinnamon Rolls, a perfect gooey brioche dough packed with a cinnamon flavored buttery brown sugar mixture and topped with a delicious cream cheese icing !
Here it's a very chocolatey version that I'm sharing with you with these easy chocolate cinnamon rolls ! A triple dose of chocolate in this sweet roll that will surely be enjoyed by all chocolate lovers 🍫.
A perfect combination of chocolate flavored cinnamon rolls buns with a flavoured cinnamon chocolate filling and its sweet and easy chocolate glaze.
These chocolate cinnamon rolls are gooey and so comforting, they are perfect to share with your family during the holidays.
What you need to make this brioche
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed or substitutions to make good homemade chocolate cinnamon rolls with a stringy texture:
Chocolate dough :
- Flour: all-purpose flour or special homemade bread flour.
- Cocoa powder: unsweetened and bitter.
- Egg: 1 large egg at room temperature.
- Milk: 2% dairy milk and lukewarm (be careful not to get too hot). You can replace it by plant-based milk, like homemade almond milk.
- Butter: use unsalted butter, melted and cooled or well softened.
- Yeast: 1 packet of active dry yeast (instant yeast) or you can also use fresh yeast.
- Sugar: granulated sugar.
- Salt: A small amount is essential to bring out all the flavors.
- Chocolate chips: use mini chocolate chips or baked chocolate chunks.
Chocolate cinnamon sugar filling :
- Sugar: or even light brown sugar or powdered sugar.
- Cocoa powder: use unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Cinnamon: ground cinnamon powder
- Butter: unsalted and melted butter or softened.
- Vanilla: use vanilla extract.
Chocolate glaze :
- Cocoa powder : unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Powdered sugar : or confectionner's sugar.
- heavy cream : full fat heavy cream.
Tip: Add homemade chocolate chips to your brioche dough or filling for an extra dose of chocolate.
How to make Best Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
1 - Chocolate dough
- Start by rehydrating the instant yeast by mixing it with the warm milk and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, (or in a large bowl with your hand), add the dry ingredients, flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.
- Then while leaving the mixer running at medium speed, add the other ingredients. Add the egg, melted butter, the warm milk and yeast mixture.
- Knead for about 3 minutes until you have a sticky dough that comes away from the sides and has a soft texture.
- Cover with a clean cloth or a plastic wrap and let it rise for about 1h30 to 2 hours until it doubles in size.
Tip: Make cinnamon rolls ahead and let it rise in the refrigerator. It will be even softer and easier to handle.
2 - Cinnamon chocolate filling
- Place all ingredients, brown sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and cinnamon ground in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix with a fork until the mixture is homogeneous.
Tip: For the filling, you can replace it with Nutella or try my homemade chocolate hazelnut spread recipe.
3 - How to fill the brioche dough
- Roll out chocolate cinnamon roll dough with a rolling pin on a lightly floured work surface or on parchment paper.
- Form a large rectangle about 0.5 mm thick.
- Using an angled spatula or spoon, spread the softened butter over the entire surface of the dough.
- Pour in the chocolate cinnamon mixture and spread it over the entire surface with your hands or a spoon to make it stick to the butter.
Tip: Spread the sugar well with your hands to make it stick to the butter, when cooked it will melt and give a delicious chocolate filling.
4 - How to shape rolls
- On a lightly floured surface gently roll up the edges of the dough lengthwise to form a long sausage.
- Using a large knife, cut out equal-sized pieces of dough (about 9 to 11 pieces).
Tip: Use dental floss to make clean cuts and keep a nice swirl on your buns.
- Place them on a baking dish (like a lasagna dish), making sure to space them out from each other and from the edges.
- Let them grow a second time at room temperature for about 30 minutes to 1 hour until they swell a little.
5 - Baking
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and bake the chocolate cinnamon rolls for about 20 minutes. Until they are well puffed up.
- Let them cool down a bit.
Tip: For soft brioches, be careful not to overcook them or they will be too hard and dry.
6 - Chocolate glaze
- Place all ingredients, powdered sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder and heavy cream in a small bowl.
- Mix with a spoon until you have a smooth, even glaze.
- Pour glaze over baked rolls and serve warm.
Tip: Reheat the buns in the microwave for a few moments and serve with a little vanilla ice cream or salted caramel sauce.
Question about Chocolate Rolls
Cinnamon goes perfectly with many other flavors including chocolate. It comes slightly perfumed the flavor of chocolate.
The key to keeping the cinnamon rolls moist is to reduce the cooking time, the more they are cooked the less moist they will be.
The cinnamon rolls should rest at room temperature or slightly warm under a tea towel to let the yeast rise. The dough can also rise in the refrigerator but it will take longer, about one night.
Storage & Freeze
Room temperature:Chocolate cinnamon rolls can be stored for about 1 week at room temperature, covered with a cloth or in an airtight container. You can slightly reheat it in the microwave to give it some softness.
Freeze : Or you can keep this chocolate cinnamon roll even longer, up to 3 months in the freezer in preservation bags.
More chocolate brioches
More brioche recipes
- Brioche French toast recipe
- Cinnamon rolls with cream cheese
- Suedish cinnamon buns kanelbullar
- Butcheln sour cream sweet buns
- Homemade soft pretzels
- Cinnamon sugar pretzels
- Sesame bagels
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print