How to make the best lemon pound cake recipe with lemon flavored icing sugar glaze. This recipe is delicious and with an incredibly moist texture made with sour cream for a perfectly tangy flavor that will please all lemon lovers desserts.
If you're a lemon recipes lovers, then you'll definitely fall in love with this absolutely delicious moist lemon pound cake recipe 🍋 and is lemon flavored sugar glaze.
I have to tell you that I'm not the biggest fan of lemony flavor although I do love moist pound cakes, but I'm drooling just thinking about the texture of this pound cake.
This is definitely my favorite lemon pound cake recipe and for me the recipe is perfect, the right balance between the sugar and the acidic taste of the fresh lemon juice and lemon zest with a very moist and dense texture as we like in lemon pound cakes.
So well that my mother knows where to get the recipe when she has lots of lemons at home and wants to use them to make a lemon cake.
What perfectly balances all the ingredients is the sour cream, which provides a richer, softer, more tender texture and a delicious flavor.
The lemon pound cake comes with a lemon glaze that dries to a sweet crust for extra pleasure in the mouth. Serve a slice of this lemon cake with whipped cream and some fresh fruit like fresh blueberries.
Ingredients and substitutions
This lemon pound cake recipe is a very easy to make and it is prepared with simple ingredients and just the right amount to get that classic pound cake like texture and his perfect lemon flavor.
And my little secret ingredient that gives it that perfect balance between sweet and tart is the sour cream.
- Flour : all-purpose flour, measure the quantities with a kitchen scale because the flour plays an important role to have a very tender cake.
- Butter : with a well softened texture but not melted, it gives this rich and dense texture.
- Sugar: white powdered sugar and do not use flavored sugar such as brown sugar or cane sugar which can alter the taste of the lemon (the amount of sugar is important because it stabilizes the acidity of the lemon, if you want to reduce the amount of sugar then also reduce the amount of lemon juice a bit)
- Eggs: large eggs room temperature, this is important to obtain a homogeneous paste.
- Zest and fresh Lemons juice: They contribute to the flavor of this cake, use the lemon zest and fresh lemon juice of untreated and organic lemons preferably. You can also use bottled lemon juice and a lemon extract as well.
- Sour cream: full-fat sour cream helps balance the taste and adds softness to the cake. You can replace it with buttermilk or Greek yogurt.
- Baking powder: for more fluffiness use baking powder or baking soda.
- Salt and vanilla extract: Salt helps bring out all the flavors. And the vanilla adds a delicious aroma to this cake.
To add more taste to your dessert, here are some ideas to add to your preparation before baking or to go with it :
- Poppy seeds: Add them to the mixture to make the lemon poppy cake version.
- Red fruit: Frozen blueberries or raspberries to add to the batter as in my lemon poppy seed cake with streusel topping.
- Cream cheese frosting: A creamy cheese frosting like in my carrot cake recipe.
- Whipped cream: Serve with a light whipped cream to soften the tartness.
- Vanilla ice cream : The perfect freshness and sweetness to balance the lemony taste.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make lemon pound cake with sour cream
1 - Infuse the sugar with the lemon zest
- Scrape the peel of the lemon (about 1 to 2 yellow lemons) and place the grated lemon zest in a small bowl with the granulated sugar.
- Then stir with a wooden spoon so that the sugar soaks up all the flavor of the lemon.
- Set aside for a few minutes during the rest of the preparation.
Tip: You can use a zester to easily remove the lemon peel or a cheese grater, which also works well.
2 - Cream the butter
- Place the unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened, in a large bowl and mix with an electric whisk for about 2 - 3 minutes until you get a creamy and smooth mixture.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest mixture to the butter and beat again for about 1 good minute to incorporate them well.
3 - Add eggs and lemon juice
- Add eggs one at a time and vanilla extract and beating well after each addition for at least 30 seconds to incorporate.
- Then add the lemon juice and sour cream and mix again with the mixer for a few moments.
After adding the eggs, the mixture will have a lumpy texture (curdled) but don't panic it's quite normal, use well ingredients at room temperature.
4 - Add dry ingredients
- Finish by adding the flour mixture, all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Then mix this time with a soft spatula or a wooden spoon and until you get a very homogeneous mixture.
Tip: Do not use the electric mixer to mix after adding the dry ingredients and avoid over-mixing. Instead, mix with a rubber spatula.
5 - Baking
- Preheat your oven to 350°F / 180°C and line a 9 - 10 inch / 22 - 25 cm long rectangular loaf pan with parchment paper or with a baking spray for perfect release.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top a little with the back of a spoon or an angled spatula.
- Bake in the oven at half height for about 50-60 minutes until the cake is puffed up and the has a nice golden brown color.
- Allow cake to cool completely in the pan before trying to unmold it or it may break. You can run a knife around the edges before unmolding it to make it easier to remove.
Tip: Check if the cake is done with a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean or with a few crumbs but not liquid batter.
Advice: Be careful not to overcook your cake or it will lose its softness and be too dry in the mouth.
How to make lemon glaze
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl, confectioner's sugar, heavy cream and lemon juice.
- Mix with a fork until you have a smooth, creamy, liquid icing.
- Pour glaze over the cooled pound cake and serve with whipped cream and fruit.
Tip: If the sugar icing seems too thick and not runny enough, add heavy cream. If it is too runny, add confectioner's sugar to thicken it.
Storage and freeze
In the fridge: You can keep it in the refrigerator for about 1 week. Take it out a few minutes before serving or microwave it for a few moments on low power.
In the freezer: It keeps very well in the freezer for up to 3 months. Cut into slices and place in storage bags. Simply let it defrost at room temperature or use the defrost function of your microwave.
5 Tips for a successful moist cake
Unlike the simple loaf cake, which is lighter, this one is called pound cake because of is basic ingredients. Flour, eggs, butter and sugar, each make up a quarter of the preparation.
This gives the cake a very unique texture, which is tender and moist with a soft texture. Beyond the right proportions of ingredients here are some tips to make a great cake.
- Ingredients at room temperature: This tip is important especially for the eggs, butter and sour cream. So remember to take them out about 30 minutes before, so that the mixture is as homogeneous as possible.
- Do not over mix the batter: Especially after adding the flour, which if over mixed can change the final texture of the cake, which will lose its softness.
- Grease your baking pan very well : Use a grease spray or even parchment paper for a perfect release.
- Be careful with the baking time : Watch the cake as it cooks, if it is overcooked it will be too dry and if it is undercooked it will be too soft.
- Let your cake cool: Let your lemon cake completely cool before removing from the pan and serving.
More lemon recipes
- Lemon curd cupcakes
- New york style cheesecake
- Lemon blueberry muffins with streusel
- Sour cream lemon pie
- Lemon muffins with lemon glaze
- Lemon poppy seed muffins
More loaf cake recipes
- Chocolate Hazelnut loaf Cake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin bread with streusel topping
- Chocolate pear cake
- Buttermilk Banana bread
- Chocolate banana bread
- Chocolate chip banana bread
- Walnut banana bread
- Carrot bread with cream cheese icing
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print