How to make the best pumpkin bread with a soft and moist texture and all the flavor of pumpkin and spices. This recipe is very easy to make and perfect for starting the fall season and enjoying the squash.
Best pumpkin bread recipe
When the fall comes, we can't wait to make all the pumpkin recipes like this fabulous recipe for moist pumpkin bread with streusel topping.
This is definitely my favorite recipe made with pumpkin along with the pumpkin pie recipe and if I had known that the pumpkin puree would bring so much softness and flavor I wouldn't wait so long to make this recipe.
Made with homemade pumpkin puree that you can easily substitute with canned pumpkin puree, a pumpkin pie spice mix and its incredible streusel topping, a super crispy and very easy-to-make crumble.
This is my favorite pumpkin bread recipe, It is perfect to share with family or for a snack and warm up this winter with a hot chocolate.
Ingredients and substitutions
The streusel is nothing else than a crunchy crumble but even more tasty. It is made with 3 main ingredients, flour, butter and sugar.
To which I add almond flour for the streusel version which brings a delicious flavor, you can also add a pinch of fleur de sel to bring out the flavors and of course a touch of cinnamon to flavor it.
Pumpkin bread batter
- Flour: An all-purpose wheat flour that you can substitute with wholemeal flour or a gluten-free blend.
- Yeast: a mixture of baking soda and baking powder to make the bread rise.
- Spices: A hot spice mix, such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Or use pumpkin pie mix directly, which is perfect.
- Butter: Unsalted, softened butter that can be replaced with neutral vegetable oil like canola oil, coconut oil or even olive oil if you like.
- Sugar: A mixture of granulated white sugar and brown sugar for flavour.
- Eggs: at room temperature.
- Pumpkin purée: Homemade fresh pumpkin puree if possible or canned.
- Nuts: Add nuts to the batter for a crunchy texture like chopped pecans.
- Icing: A maple syrup sugar glaze or cream cheese glaze will work well with this recipe.
- Chocolate: replace ⅓ of the flour with unsweetened cocoa powder and a few extra chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks.
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card below.
How to make the moist pumpkin bread with streusel topping
1 - Making the streusel
- Place all ingredients in a bowl, flour, almond meal, cold butter, brown sugar and salt.
- Mix all ingredients together and rub with your hands until you get a sandy texture.
- Form a ball of dough and roughly break up to form a crumble.
- Place in the fridge while preparing the bread.
Tip: Streusel can be made 1-2 days in advance to save time and can even be stored in the freezer.
2 - Pumpkin bread batter
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda and baking powder, salt, and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves).
- In another bowl, whisk with a hand mixer the melted butter with the brown sugar and granulated sugar for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and whisk well between each addition.
- Add the pumpkin puree and mix until smooth.
- Finish by adding the dry ingredients and mix gently with a rubber spatula until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the top until completely covered.
Tip: You can make the batter with a simple hand whisk, an electric mixer or your stand mixer. Just be careful not to over mix after adding the dry ingredients.
3 - Baking
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and bake the pumpkin bread halfway through until it is golden brown on top.
- Check for baking before removing from the oven with the tip of a knife or toothpick inserted in the center, which should come out clean or with a few crumbs.
- Remove the pumpkin bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan before moving it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve pumpkin bread warm or cold with maple icing or cream cheese frosting.
Tip: Let the baked pumpkin bread cool as much as possible in the loaf pan as it has a moist and tender texture and may break.
Storage and freeze
Room temperature: Homemade pumpkin bread can be stored for a long time at room temperature. It should be placed in an airtight container or wrapped with plastic wrap to protect from light and humidity for about 1 week.
Freezing: Leftover pumpkin bread can be stored in freezer bags to keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let them defrost gently at room temperature.
More pumpkin recipes
More bread and cake recipes
- Chocolate banana bread
- Buttermilk Banana bread recipe
- Chocolate chip banana bread
- Lemon pound cake with icing sugar
- Poppy seed lemon pound cake
- Carrot bread with cream cheese icing
- Lemon Bundt cake
- Chocolate chip bundt cake
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print