How to make a delicious carrot bread recipe with spices and pecans with its delicious cream cheese icing. This a very easy-to-make recipe for a delicious and sweet carrot cake loaf with all the fall flavors.
Why you'll love this bread
For all fans of sweet carrot recipes, here is a version of my favorite carrot cake with a soft, moist, and crunchy texture and all the flavor of carrots and fall spices.
If you've already tried my carrot cake recipe, then you won't be able to resist this version, which is even more tender and crunchy in the mouth and has the delicious scent of warm spices.
This easy recipe is made with freshly shredded carrots, which provide both a moist texture and a delicious flavor that pairs perfectly with this spice mix of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
This carrot loaf cake comes with a delicious cream cheese frosting (Philadelphia cheese) that has a slightly tart flavor and a sweet and salty taste, perfect with this spiced bread.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Flour: All-purpose wheat flour or wholemeal flour or a gluten-free flour mix.
- Yeast: a mixture of baking powder and baking soda that you can replace with only baking powder.
- Spices: Ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves or use my homemade pumpkin pie spice mix.
- Sugar: A mixture of white granulated sugar and brown sugar to add flavor.
- Oil: neutral vegetable oil such as grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, or unscented coconut oil.
- Eggs: large at room temperature.
- Carrots: Freshly grated carrots.
- Buttermilk: or plain yogurt or sour cream.
- Vanilla and salt: essential for flavoring and bringing out all the flavors.
- Nuts: Crushed pecans or a mixture of almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts.
Cream cheese frosting
- Cream cheese: Full-fat Philadelphia cheese.
- Butter: unsalted butter and softened.
- Powdered sugar: very fine powdered sugar, icing sugar or confectioner’s sugar
- Vanilla extra: pure liquid vanilla extract
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make this Carrot Cake Bread
1 - Mix the dry ingredients
- In a medium bowl place all dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves).
- And mix with a tablespoon until you get a very homogeneous mixture.
Tip: I also recommend sifting the dry ingredients 1 to 2 times to get a nice blend.
2 - Carrot batter
- In a large mixing bowl, place granulated sugar and brown sugar with vegetable oil and whisk together for 1 minute.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix again to incorporate.
- Then add grated carrots and buttermilk and mix until smooth and liquid.
Tip: No need to use an electric mixer or a stand mixer, a simple hand whisk is enough to make the mixtures.
3 - Add the dry ingredients
- Add the flour mixture and the chopped pecans.
- Gently mix with a hand whisk or a rubber spatula until the mixture is homogeneous.
Tip: Avoid over-mixing the cake batter after adding the dry ingredients, just enough to incorporate them.
4 - Baking
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and line a 10-inch/25 cm loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the carrot cake batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the oven at half height for about 50-55 minutes until puffed up and golden brown on top.
- Remove the carrot bread from the oven and allow it to cool completely in the pan before removing it from the pan and placing it on a large serving platter.
Tip: Check the cake with the blade of a knife or a toothpick inserted in the center, it should come out clean, if you still have liquid batter extend the baking time by 5 minutes.
Cream cheese icing
- In a medium bowl, place softened butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- With an electric mixer, mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the icing on the cooled carrot bread with a spatula, add a few chopped nuts and serve.
At room temperature: Carrot bread (without the icing) can be stored at room temperature for 4-5 days, wrapped in plastic wrap, or placed in an airtight container.
In the fridge: With its cream cheese icing, it is best to keep your carrot bread in the fridge covered or in a storage box for 4-5 days.
In the freezer: Store the bread in the freezer for up to 3 months, well covered with plastic wrap or placed in slices in storage bags. Let it thaw gently either in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
More carrot recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print