This delicious Dutch apple pie is very indulgent and flavorful and it's the perfect fall dessert. Made with a buttery, flaky crust, filled with a generous layer of tender, cinnamon-flavored apples and completely covered with a crispy crumble topping.
Apple Crumble Pie
This Dutch Apple Pie recipe is my favorite dessert during apple season and a nice alternative and an easier way to the classic Apple pie.
This very delicious apple crumble pie is simply the combination of my two favorite desserts, apple tart and apple crumble
Dutch Apple pie is loaded with 3 easy preparations, a buttery and flaky pie dough usually used in pies like pumpkin pie or pecan pie. With a generous cinnamon apple filling covered entirely with a homemade crumb topping.
It is a highly prepared dessert in the season of Autumn, it has a delicious flavor of cooked apples with cinnamon, on a buttery and flaky pie crust and its delicious crunchy streusel-like crumble.
Usually served a bit warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and a drizzle of salted caramel sauce, it's the ultimate dessert to share with the family.
Composition of the crumble pie
I use a pie crust recipe that is very similar to the shortcrust pastry we use for classic apple tarts, but it has a flakier, buttery texture, much like a quick puff pastry.
The pie crust can easily be replaced by another pastry such as a sweet shortcrust or simply a store-bought pie crust
Apple pie filling
- Apples: Use ripe apples with juicy, sweet flesh such as golden delicious, Gala, Pink lady or granny smith apples.
- Sugar: Brown sugar or light brown sugar is an optional flavoring for the apple filling. You can replace it with granulated sugar or leave it out.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice is optional and adds a touch of tartness to the pie.
- Flour: Flour helps thicken the filling and gives a soft texture.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon adds a delicious flavor to baked apples.
- Vanilla extract and salt: To perfume and bring out all the flavors.
Sweet crumb topping
A tasty and sweet crumble topping rather like a streusel topping recipe made of flour, almond meal, brown sugar, sea salt, and butter that can also be flavored with cinnamon.
As in the crumble recipe, we mix all the ingredients together until we obtain a sandy texture that we then pick up and crumble to form small balls of crumble.
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make apple pie with crumb topping
- In a medium bowl put all the ingredients, flour, almond meal, brown sugar, and sea salt.
- Mix until you have a homogeneous mixture.
- Add the cold unsalted butter pieces and mix with your fingers until you get a sandy preparation.
- Gather the dough into a compact ball, then crumble it into small pieces.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
Tips: The crumble can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer to save time in preparation.
2 - Pie crust
- Place dry ingredients, flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the cold butter pieces and crumble with your fingertips until you get a sandy texture.
- Add the cold water and gather the dough with your hands until you get a homogeneous ball of dough without kneading it too much.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
Tip: To go faster you can immediately roll out the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and place the dough disc in the freezer.
3 - Apple filling
- Place sliced apples, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, lemon juice, flour, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Mix with a tablespoon until you have a homogeneous mixture.
Tip: No pre-cooking for this filling, the apples will cook in the pie, just be sure to cut them into thin slices for a melting texture.
4 - Baking
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and prepare a deep pie plate of 9 inch / 22-24 cm width by greasing it with butter.
- Roll pastry dough out on a floured work surface or between 2 sheets of parchment paper on a large disk the diameter of the pan.
- Line the pie dish with the pie disk, form a nice border and prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork.
- Fill the inside with the cinnamon apple mixture.
- Then pour all the crumble on top of the pie until all the apples are covered.
- Bake in the oven at half height for about 1 hour until golden brown on top.
- Let the Dutch apple pie cool completely in the pan before serving it with a little vanilla ice cream and salted caramel.
Tip: let the pie bake for at least 55 minutes to make sure the bottom crust is cooked through and does not have a soggy crust. You can leave the baked pie to cool gently in the turned-off oven, positioned on the bottom rack while leaving the door open.
Storage and freezing
In the fridge: The Dutch apple pie can only be stored in the fridge because the fruit filling is fragile. Cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezer: You can also store this Dutch apple pie in the freezer for up to 3 months, well wrapped in plastic wrap or in a storage box. Let it thaw gently in the refrigerator.
More apple tart recipes
More apple recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print