The traditional holiday recipe for pumpkin pie from scratch. Very easy to make with easy homemade pie crust and fresh pumpkin puree. You won't resist its buttery crispy texture and his rich creamy and spicy filling.
Easy Pumpkin Pie
The classic pumpkin pie recipe is a must-try in the fall season and for Thanksgiving.
Like all the recipes made during this season, apple pie, carrot cake or banana bread, this one is definitely my favorite dessert during the holidays.
This dessert is a favorite of all, we love its creamy and smooth texture and those little spices that go so well with the mashed pumpkin.
Even if you're not very good at baking, this recipe is really easy and if you're well organized it can be very quick to make. Even though it's a recipe from scratch and the pie crust and mashed pumping are homemade, it's a much better dessert and you'll have the satisfaction of making it yourself.
How to make fresh pumpkin puree
Although it is attractive to take canned pumpkin puree already prepared in cans. It's much better made at home, you get all the freshness of the squash and it's really not that complicated.
You need to cook the squash in advance either steamed or cooked in water for about 20 - 25 minutes, until you can easily stick a knife into its flesh.
Then you need to mashed the squash into a smooth puree using a handheld press or an electric mixer, which will ensure that you have a smooth texture with no lumps.
You will then need to let the squash puree cool completely before using it in the recipe.
- Pie dish 9 inc / 23 cm diameter
- Puree press or blender
Ingredients to make a pumpkin pie
- Pie crust: with my crispy and buttery recipe that reminds a bit of a puff pastry and an easy one bowl method without a mixer.
- Eggs: They are essential to bind the ingredients together and give texture to the filling. Use room temperature eggs.
- Sugar: A mixture of powdered sugar and brown sugar for flavour and sweetness.
- Squash puree: Canned or homemade, the texture will be a little different depending on whether you use one or the other and the time saved also in the preparation will be consequent it's up to you.
- Heavy cream: The cream softens the texture and taste of the filling, the more you use the creamier it is. If you reduce the amount, the texture will be thicker, less creamy and more spicy.
- Cornstarch: in combination with eggs it helps to firm up the texture, it is an essential ingredient that you can eventually replace with flour.
- Spices: essential in recipes with squash, here I have slightly dosed the quantities of some spices, such as ginger, nutmeg or cloves, only the cinnamon is more dosed because it is the one I prefer.
How to make pumpkin pie from scratch
How to make pumpkin pie crust
Homemade pie dough is very easy to make and is much better than store-bought ready-made dough. To save time you can make it 1 to 2 days in advance and keep it in the fridge.
Place the flour, powdered sugar and salt in a bowl and add the cold butter cut into pieces.
Rub with your hands until you have a sandy texture
Add the cold water and gather the dough to form a ball
Cover with cling film and place in the fridge
Prepare a pie dish and grease it with butter so that the dough does not stick after baking.
Roll out the dough on a flour work surface or between 2 sheets of baking paper to a thickness of about 3 mm.
Cover the inside of the dish, cut out the edges and shape them (as shown in the photo)
Place your pie crust in the freezer for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
Making the pie filling
- Mix together all the dry ingredients, flour, cornstarch, salt and spices and set aside.
- In another container, put the eggs with the powdered sugar and the brown sugar and beat with a hand whisk for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin puree and then the heavy cream and mix again until you have a smooth and liquid mixture.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture and mix gently to incorporate.
- Fill the inside of the pie dish containing the pie crust with the filling.
How to bake a pie
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
- Bake the Pie at the halfway point for about 1 hour, it will be ready when you see that the filling is golden brown and that it is firmer.
- Let it cool completely at room temperature and then place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving it with a bit of whipped cream.
Store and Freeze
Pumpkin pie should be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 to 5 days. It is best when it has been completely cooled in the refrigerator before serving.
How to freeze the pumpkin pie
You can freeze pumpkin pie for up to 3 months. After baking, when it is cool, cut into small pieces and place in a storage box.
Others fall recipes
- Apple Pie
- Pumpkin bread with streusel topping
- Rusti apple and pear tart
- Carrot cake with cream cheese
- Banana bread
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print