How to make the best cinnamon pie recipe with a sweet and creamy cinnamon vanilla filling on a flaky and buttery pie crust. This easy recipe is as delicious as a pumpkin pie with all those spicy fall flavors and served with fresh whipped cream.
If you love cinnamon recipes with autumnal flavors, spices and cinnamon perfect to warm up in this season and for the upcoming winter.
Then you'll love this perfect cinnamon pie recipe with its sweet and creamy cinnamon vanilla filling on a crispy and buttery pie crust au crispy puff pastry very close to a puff pastry.
Cinnamon pie recipes are very similar to the famous pumpkin pie but in a sweeter version, it is really the dream fall dessert to serve for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner to share with family for a warm and greedy moment.
Why we love this recipe
- Creamy and sweet texture perfectly spiced with cinnamon ground and all spices mix and complete with vanilla extract that softens all these spicy flavors.
- A crisp, homemade pie crust is a must to balance the creamy filling.
- Generous and delicious, a dessert that is both very simple and elaborate enough to share during the holidays.
Ingredients to make this pie
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make this delicious cinnamon pie at home, scroll down to see the quantities in the recipe card.
Pie dough is a recipe very similar to shortcrust pastry in its composition, flour, sugar (optional), salt, butter and water. Everything is mixed in a bowl by hand or with a food processor.
You can easily replace the pie dough with a sweet shortcrust pastry or simply with a graham cracker crust or a store-bought pie crust.
The cinnamon pie dough shell can be made 1 to 2 days in advance or you can also use a frozen pie crust. (And there's no need to bake blank, which saves time in the preparation)
- Cream cheese: Use full-fat cream cheese like the Philadelphia brand.
- Sugar: A mixture of white sugar granulated or powdered sugar and flavored sugar such as brown sugar.
- Eggs: At room temperature, they help firm up the texture.
- Cream: Use full-fat heavy cream.
- Flour: or cornstarch.
- Spices: Ground cinnamon and an all spices mix.
- Vanilla extract and salt: Essential for flavoring and bringing out all the flavors.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make Cinnamon Pie
1 - Pie crust
- Place the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt and mix with a tablespoon.
- Add the chopped, cold butter and mix with the fingertips until you have a sandy mixture with a few small pieces of butter still visible.
- Pour in the cold water and quickly gather the dough into a ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge for 20 minutes, or spread between 2 baking sheet of parchment paper and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Line a 9 inches / 22 cm pie plate previously greased with butter with the dough disk.
- Prick the bottom of the pie with a fork.
Tip: Place pie crust in the freezer while preparing the pie filling. It is not necessary to blind baking the pie crust, the baking time is enough to bake the dough.
2 - Cinnamon filling
- Place cream cheese, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and heavy cream and mix again with an electric mixer to incorporate.
Tip: You can mix the filling ingredients with an electric mixer or use a stand mixer to make the mix.
3 - Baking
- Then add the dry ingredients, flour cinnamon all spices and salt.
- And mix gently with a rubber spatula to incorporate them.
- Pour filling into the pie plate on top of the pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and bake the cinnamon pie for about 45 minutes.
- Let the cinnamon cake cool completely before serving warm or cold with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Tip: The cinnamon pie is done when the pie crust and the top of the pie are golden brown, the texture of the filling is quite firm and it will firm up even more after chilling.
Storage and freezing
In the fridge: Cinnamon pies can only be stored in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days under plastic wrap or in a storage box with a lid.
Freezer: You can also freeze the cinnamon pie for up to 3 months in the freezer covered with cling film or in a storage box.
Defrots: Let it slowly recover in the fridge during the night.
More cinnamon desserts
- Cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing
- Cinnamon rolls with chocolate sauce
- Snickerdoodle cinnamon cookies
- Kanelbullar - Swedish cinnamon buns
- Cinnamon sugar pretzels
More pie recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print