This easy homemade maple pecan pie recipe without corn syrup is delicious with a crumbly, crispy crust and a sweet and crunchy roasted pecan filling. As easy as it can be without pre-baking pie crust and made without corn syrup.
Pecan pie with maple syrup
This maple pecan pie is a delicious, full-flavoured pie that we like to make when fall comes around and we want to make a comfort food dessert.
This wonderful dessert is usually made of crushed or chopped pecans and mixed with a mixture of butter and corn syrup (glucose syrup) that I substituted here with maple syrup mixture which brings a delicious maple flavor.
The pecan pie filling is soft and sweet with a crunchy texture, very similar to walnut pie where walnuts are used instead of pecans.
Also made with traditional pie dough that we like to use in pie recipes because it has a crispy, buttery texture that goes perfectly with the sweet pecan filling.
The maple pecan pie is usually served on a plate with a topping of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for those with a sweet tooth.
How to make a pecan pie without corn syrup
This is America's favorite dessert and the original recipe calls to use corn syrup which is a glucose syrup.
Many people think that it is not possible to make this recipe by replacing this ingredient without altering the final taste of the pie.
However, it is possible to make this recipe without corn syrup and still make it successful. Its texture will be mostly defined by the amount of syrup added, the more it contains the creamier the texture and the less it contains the thicker it will be.
You can simply replace it with another sugar syrup, like pure maple syrup, which has a delicious flavor, or by simply using honey or a combination of both.
Ingredients et substitutions
The pie crust is quite different in texture and taste from the pie shells we usually use in tarts recipes. It is more like a shortcrust pastry but with a texture closer to puff pastry.
It is crumbly, crispier and more buttery. You can easily replace it with a sweet shortcrust pastry or an almond shortcrust pastry.
- Pecans: You can substitute other dried fruits such as walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts or make a nut mixture.
- Eggs: at room temperature
- Butter: Unsalted butter softened.
- Sugar: a flavored granulated sugar such as brown sugar or cane sugar, coconut sugar.
- Corn syrup: Corn syrup or honey, maple syrup, agave syrup or molasses. In this recipe I use only maple syrup.
- Vanilla and salt: Essential to perfume and bring out all the flavours.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make this easy Pecan Pie
This recipe is a simple pecan pie recipe. It doesn't require much equipment, you will only need a pie plate, a rolling pin and a hand whisk.
1 - Pie crust
- Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl, all purpose flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the very cold butter, cut into pieces.
- Rub all the ingredients together with your hands until you get a sandy texture.
- Add the cold water and gather the dough to form a ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface or between 2 sheets of baking paper to a thickness of 3-4 mm. (As large as the size of your pie dish).
- Cover a 9 inch pie pan previously greased with butter or lined with parchment paper with the dough.
- Cut off excess dough around the edges and form a pretty border.
- Prick the bottom of the pie with a fork and place in the freezer while preparing the filling.
Tip: Putting the dough in the fridge or freezer will harden it and allow it to keep its shape during baking. The dough can also be prepared 1 to 2 day ahead of time, by staying in the fridge it will also be easier to handle.
2 - Pecan filling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- In a bowl mix together eggs, melted butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt.
- Stir in half of pecan halves.
- Pour the batter over the unbaked pie shell and place the remaining whole pecans on top. (for an old fashioned pecan pie version, put all the pecans directly into the filling).
- Bake for about 50 minutes until pastry is golden brown and filling is firm in the center.
- Allow the baked pecan pie to cool completely in its pan before removing from the pan and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Serve the maple pecan pie warm or cold with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Tip: Take the time to roast the nuts in the oven for a few minutes to bring out their full flavor and get a toasted nutty taste.
Conservation and freeze
In the fridge: Maple pecan pie can be stored in the fridge for about 1 week, let it come to room temperature before serving. It is best served slightly warm or hot with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Freezer: You can freeze pecan pie cut into pieces in a conservation box and keep it up to 3 months.
Defrosting: Let it thaw gently in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
More Pie recipe
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print