How to make the delicious sour cream lemon pie recipe. An easy and generous recipe with a crispy pie crust filled with a sweet and creamy sour cream lemon mixture made without egg yolks and topped with whipped cream on top.
>> And if you like lemon recipes check out all my favorite recipes on the blog made with lemon >>
What is a lemon cream pie?
The lemon cream pie is like the usual lemon pie recipe also made with a crispy and flaky pie crust but in a much more tasty and generous way.
This lemon pie has a tangy filling that makes all lemon lovers fall in love with it. But what we like even more is that it is much less intense in lemon because of the combination of sweetened condensed milk and sour cream that gives it more creaminess and softness.
So if you are the kind of person who likes lemon desserts but not too tart, then this is the perfect recipe for you!
Easy Sour Cream Lemon Pie
This recipe for the sour cream lemon pie is very easy to make and is quite simple in composition in comparison to other recipes.
The lemon cream mixture is made without egg yolks so no baking is required, only the pie crust needs to be baked but I give you an alternative to the baked pie shell and to make a completely no-bake pie using a graham cracker crust like in my key lime pie recipe.
And that generous layer of lemon flavored cream filling in this lemon sour cream pie is sweeter and slightly tart very different from the lemon fillings found in lemon meringue tart made with lemon curd
Why you will love this recipe
In addition to being a very easy dessert to prepare, the sour cream lemon pie is an irresistible dessert that is impossible to stop at one slice because you fall in love with its creamy consistency and the perfect texture of the pie crust.
And it's a really perfect dessert for spring and summer as it is full of freshness.
- An easy, buttery, flaky pie crust
- A sweet and slightly tart no-bake sour cream lemon filling
- A full-flavored dessert perfect for family dessert time
Ingredients you need to make this lemon cream pie
Pie Dough :
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour.
- Sugar: This is optional but adds a sweet touch to the dough, preferably use fine granulated sugar.
- Butter Unsalted butter cut into pieces and very cold (you can place it with the water in the freezer for 10 minutes before preparing the recipe).
- Water: Ice water.
- Salt: A pinch of salt to bring out all the flavors.
You can easily replace the pie crust with a graham cracker crust I tell you how in the recipe card.
Lemon cream pie filling :
- Sweetened condensed milk: You will need 2 cans and take the sweet one otherwise you will have to add the sugar separately.
- Sour cream: Use sour cream but you can replace it with buttermilk, cream cheese, or even Greek yogurt.
- Lemon juice et lemon zest: Use fresh organic lemon juice and zest.
- Vanilla extract: To flavor the mixture.
Whipped cream :
- Heavy cream: Use full fat heavy cream or heavy whipping cream cold.
- Confectioner's sugar: Preferably icing sugar to avoid the smell of sugar grains or a very fine powdered sugar.
- Vanilla extract: To flavor the cream.
Find the complete recipe with quantities and instructions in the recipe card below.
How to make Sour Cream Lemon Pie
Make the pie crust
- Place the flour, cold butter cut into pieces, and salt in a bowl and mix with your hands, crushing the butter with your fingertips until you obtain a sandy mixture.
- Add the cold water and mix to collect the dough without kneading it too much to form a homogeneous dough ball.
- Immediately roll out the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper to a thickness of 3-4 mm.
- Place the dough disc in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before filling a pie dish with it.
- Prick the bottom of the dish with a fork and cover with a sheet of parchment paper then fill as I did with ceramic balls or white beans, rice etc.
- Place the dish in the freezer for about 30 minutes before baking the pie in a preheated oven at 375°F / 190°C for about 25 minutes.
- Then let the pie shell cool completely.
Tip: The pie dough can be made by hand as I do here or in a food processor. The important thing is to avoid kneading the dough so that it keeps its crispy texture.
Sour Cream Lemon Filling
- Place sweetened condensed milk in a medium bowl with vanilla and lemon zest.
- Stir in sour cream and lemon juice and whisk until well combined with no lumps.
Fill the pie crust
- Pour the lemon sour cream filling over the baked pie crust and smooth the top with an angled spatula or the back of a tablespoon.
- Place the lemon sour cream pie in the refrigerator for at least 4 to 6 hours.
- Decorate the top with whipped cream and lemon zest just before serving.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, the sour lemon sour cream pie can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Measure your lemon cream filling ingredients carefully and let the pie sit in the fridge for the time indicated to give the cream time to firm up.
How to store this lemon sour cream pie
It can only be kept in the refrigerator for about 3 to 5 days in a box or under a plastic wrap.
Also remember to prepare and serve the whipped cream with the lemon cream pie at the last minute.
More lemon recipes
- Lemon pound cake
- Lemon cupcakes with mascarpone icing
- Lemon Poppy Seed pound Cake
- Lemon blueberry Muffins
More pie recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print