How to make a delicious chocolate mousse pie with this totally decadent and irresistible recipe! This no-bake dessert has a layer of oreo cookie crumbs, a creamy, rich chocolate flavor filling with a chocolate mousse-like texture and topped with fresh whipped cream and chocolate curls.
No bake chocolate pie
With the fall season comes all the delicious and comforting pie recipes like this no-bake chocolate mousse pie recipe and these 3 layers of fun that will turn any chocolate lover's head.
Very similar to the popular French silk pie recipe in its composition and visually, but I would say it is more of an easy chocolate mousse pie recipe because the only thing that separates it from the traditional version is that it is not made with a pie crust.
Instead of pie crust, we have a layer of cookie crumbs made with oreo cookies that enhance the taste of the chocolate and provide an extra layer of crunch.
But what we will remember most in its taste is its generous layer of chocolate mousse very similar to the chocolate mousse recipe with a strong and rich taste that satisfies all your chocolate cravings in one bite.
And thanks to the cloud of whipped cream which is absolutely needed to soften all the chocolate in the mouth and its little chocolate shavings which are there to decorate and add a touch of crunch of course
Ingredient and substitutions
This is a no-bake recipe and the best way to do it is to make a crust with chocolate crumbled cookies like oreo that can be replaced by other cookies like biscoff or make a graham cracker crust instead.
If you're in the mood for pie crust, it's possible to make a pie crust and bake it blank.
Chocolate mousse filling
- Egg: Use large, room temperature eggs.
- Sugar: White granulated sugar or brown sugar.
- Chocolate: Use baking chocolate which will melt faster, you can use semi-sweet chocolate chips for baking or bittersweet chocolate.
- Vanilla extract and salt: essential to bring out all the flavors.
- Butter: use unsalted and softened butter
- Heavy Cream: full fat and cold, you can replace it with whipping cream.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make the Chocolate mousse pie
1 - Oreo crust
- Start by blending the cookies in a food processor until you have fine crumbs with no chunks.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a saucepan.
- Add melted butter into the oreo crumbs and mix until that the crumbs soak up the butter.
- Pour the crumb mixture into your 9 inch pie dish and using either the bottom of a glass or a measuring spoon, press the crumb mixture down until you have a layer of about 3-4 mm, while also going up the edges.
- Place the pie dish in the refrigerator for about 30 min while you prepare the other preparations.
Tip: Make sure to pack the edges to avoid cracking when serving.
2 - Chocolate filling
- Place eggs and sugar in a bowl and heat in a double boiler over a saucepan containing a little water while stirring with a whisk.
- Check the temperature with a cooking thermometer which should read at least 131°F / 55°C.
- Meanwhile, melt the chopped chocolate in the microwave.
- Remove from heat and gradually add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture while mixing with a whisk until you have a smooth chocolate mixture and let cool slightly.
- Place the softened butter in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and mix at medium speed for about 5 minutes.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and stir in the chocolate mixture.
- Meanwhile, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Finish by folding the whipped cream into the mixture with a spatula.
- Pour chocolate mixture over the cookie crust and chill for at least 4 hours.
Tip : Made with eggs that are pasteurized with sugar in a double boiler up to a certain temperature, which makes this no-bake dessert safe to eat. If you don't have a thermometer to pasteurize the eggs, then heat over medium heat for at least 5 minutes, the sugar should be completely dissolved.
3 - Whipped cream
A must to go with and soften the strong taste of chocolate, homemade whipped cream is like a cloud in your mouth and is very easy to make - all you need is a good electric mixer.
- Place the cold heavy cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- Beat with an electric whisk for about 3-4 minutes on medium speed until you have a nice thick cream.
- Pour the sweetened whipped cream over the top of the entire pie and decorate with chocolate shavings or chocolate sprinkles. (see below how to make chocolate curls).
Tip: Be careful not to beat for too long or it will slice and if unfortunately, this is the case you can add small amounts of cold cream while mixing at medium speed to get a smooth texture.
4 - How to make chocolate curl
I've always been intrigued by chocolate curls, I thought it would take some pastry knowledge to master the science of chocolate.
Well no, it's quite simple to do and you can do it without tempering the chocolate but if you have a little time then tempering can give you even prettier and shinier curls.
- Place a baking sheet in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl and heat it in a double boiler with a little water.
- When the chocolate is completely melted, pour it onto the back of the baking sheet.
- Immediately with an angled spatula spread the chocolate to a thin 1mm thickness and let it cool for a good minute.
- When the chocolate is completely cooled, use a steel spatula to scrape off the chocolate in a semicircle to obtain small chocolate curls.
- Keep them in a fresh place away from humidity until it is time to decorate your no bake chocolate pie.
Tip: Use high quality chocolate, with a high percentage of cocoa butter, baking chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate chips.
Storage and freezing
In the fridge:
Store chocolate mousse pie only in the refrigerator for 3-4 days covered with plastic wrap or in a storage box
In the freezer:
You can freeze the chocolate pie without the whipped cream topping for about 3 months.
Place the chocolate mousse pie in the refrigerator and let it thaw gently for 1 to 2 hours.
More chocolate desserts
More pies recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print