These brown Butter Sugar Cookies are highly flavored with a nutty taste with crispy edges and a chewy texture. A classic for the holiday season along with the other Christmas cookies recipes.
You will love this easy 1 hour favorite starter recipe that you can customize with a large choice of toppings.
These classic sugar cookies are adapted with my favorite chocolate chip cookies recipe to which I added brown butter. And the combination is just amazing as it gives off a delicate roasted hazelnut flavor with a perfect crispy outside and chewy center.
If you're still looking for a recipe to add to your Christmas cookies list, these are definitely a must try for the upcoming holiday season and they are very quick and easy to make. You can even customize them with a topping of your choice like cream cheese frosting, vanilla buttercream and some sprinkles or crushed sugar candy.
I find it a must for some classic recipes, as it enhances the taste and really gives that roasted hazelnut flavor that perfumes your home.
Follow my step by step recipe for brown butter which is really simple and takes only 10 minutes to make by heating it in a saucepan over a medium heat until it turns golden brown. It can be stored easily and you can add it to your favorite recipes like cookies, muffins and other homemade desserts.
As in other cookies recipes you will need basic ingredients like all-purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder, eggs, a combination of plain sugar and some light brown sugar instead of regular brown sugar. And brown butter made in ahead of time and at room temperature.
And of course the salt and vanilla extract which are absolutely needed to flavour and bring out the taste of the butter.
You can also add :
- My homemade chocolate chips
- Some treats like smarties, m&m's, caramel bites, sprinkles,
Rolled in granulated sugar
This method is typical of some recipes like snickerdoodle, they are rolled in a sugar mixture flavored with cinnamon, here it's just a simple crystallized sugar. I would like to add that it is optional and up to each one' taste, it gives a little bit of crispness on the outside.
And I also chose to reduce a little the amount of sugar inside because I find that this covering gives an even more sugary taste in mouth.
How to make the browned butter sugar cookies
- Beat with an electric whisk the brown butter at room temperature with the powdered sugar and light brown sugar for about 2-3 minutes so that the sugar dissolves well.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix again to incorporate.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt with a spatula or a wooden spoon.
Tips : Be careful not to over mix the mixture after adding the dry ingredients.
How to make dough balls
- Form dough balls with an ice cream scoop or with your hands.
- Roll them in a small bowl of granulated sugar.
- Then place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and space them about 5 cm apart because they will spread.
- And let them rest for about 20 minutes in the fridge.
Tips: use a cookie scoop to form the balls instead of your hands to avoid packing them and losing the softness.
How to bake them
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C while they rest in the fridge.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until they are golden brown but still a little soft, they will firm up as they cool.
- Let them cool a little before moving them.
Tips: be careful not to overcook them or they will be dry and loose their chewy center.
Other favorites cookies recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print