Enjoy your favorite m&m candies in these M&m cookies just as soft and chewy as my favorite brown butter sugar cookies recipe, sure to please kids and grown-ups alike.
Why you'll love this recipe
At home, we eat them by the handful and they're my children's favorite candy. We also make them into delicious m&m cookies to change from classic cookie recipes like the famous chocolate chip cookies.
M&M's are just amazing in desserts, they're found in lots of recipes and for adding a rainbow of color to your favorite treats like in this recipe for cookies with m&m's chocolate candies.
- Soft and chewy is what we love most about cookies, with a soft center and crunchy edges and a nutty, caramelized flavor.
- The color and taste of chocolate brought by m&m's candy replace the chocolate chips, but you can add extra for a double dose of chocolate.
- Perfect for special occasions like a rainbow-themed birthday party, or simply to spice up the kids' after-school snack.
- A super-easy recipe that anyone can do (watch my video on how to make these cookies at home).
More candy recipes :
Ingredients you need for this recipe
Here's an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make these m&m cookies. Scroll down the page to see the quantities directly in the recipe card.
- Butter: Use soft, unsalted butter, preferably softened. You can heat it slightly in the microwave if you haven't had time to take it out in advance.
- Sugar: A mixture of white granulated sugar and flavored sugar, such as brown or light brown sugar or even cane sugar.
- Egg: at room temperature, take it out of the fridge in advance or run it under hot water for a few moments.
- Flour: white wheat all-purpose flour.
- Yeast: You can also make a mixture of baking powder and baking soda for softer cookies.
- Vanilla and salt: Use pure vanilla extract to flavor the cookies and fleur de sel (coarse sea salt) to bring out all the flavors.
- M&M: You can take the regular chocolate M&Ms or the mini M&Ms, which you can also replace with any other candy like Smarties candies.
- Add chocolate chips: You can also add a few dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips.
- Add chopped nuts: For extra crunch, add hazelnuts, almonds, pecans or peanuts.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and instructions for making this cookie recipe in the recipe card further down this page.
How to make Easy M&M Cookie recipe
Cream the butter
- Place the butter and sugars in a large bowl.
- Cream by mixing with a hand mixer for about 2 minutes until you obtain a homogeneous and creamy mixture.
Tip: The butter should be softened, not melted, so take it out of the fridge for about 30 minutes before making the recipe or warm it up slightly in the microwave on low power to soften it.
Add egg and dry ingredients
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again with the electric mixer for about 1 minute to incorporate them.
- Then add the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix this time with a spatula or wooden spoon just until combined.
Tip: You can make this recipe with a hand whisk, electric mixer or your stand mixer.
- Finish by adding the m&m's and mix with a flexible spatula to incorporate them into the batter.
Tip: You can also crush the candy by placing it in a storage bag and using a rolling pin to get small pieces of m&m's.
Tip: You can add extra chocolate chip or replace the chocolate m&m's with peanut butter m&m's or smarties.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. / 180°C and prepare baking sheets with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Form cookie dough balls with your hands or an ice cream cookie scoop and place on the prepared baking sheet separate from 2 inches apart to prevent them from sticking during baking.
- Place the cookies sheet in the refrigerator for 1 hour or in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven for about 12 minutes until they are golden on top.
- Let them cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before carefully moving them and let them cool completely in a cooling rack.
Tip: Be careful not to overcook them, they should still be soft in the center, and they will harden as they cool.
3 Success tips for making cookies
- Room temperature ingredients: A homogeneous batter will make better cookies. Ingredients mix better together if they are at the same temperature.
- Chill the dough: Chilling the dough will make the cookies softer, the dough will cool down and they will be thicker and you'll prevent having flat cookies. the dry ingredients will absorb the wet ones, which will give more taste.
- Be careful with baking: the more they are cooked, the less soft they will be, they will even be dry in the mouth. The cookies are ready when they are still soft when they come out of the oven.
Room temperature: Store your cookies in an airtight container away from light and moisture for about 1 week.
Can I freeze cookies?
Yes it is possible can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months and if you plan to make a big batch for the kids' snacks or for your own little cravings then follow one of these 2 methods:
Freeze before baking :
This is definitely the method I recommend the most, once you have shaped balls of dough place them on your baking sheet and put them in the freezer until they are hard.
Then place them in a storage box or in cool bags, you will only have to take them out of the oven and let them come back a bit to room temperature then follow the cooking instructions.
Freeze after baking :
The quickest way, once baked and completely cooled, store them in a storage box or bags and place them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Then take the frozen cookies out and let them thaw at room temperature or use the defrost function of the microwave to go faster.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use either regular or peanut butter M&M's and even mini M&M's.
The outside coating of the m&ms prevents the chocolate from melting when they are baked.
Cookies will spread during baking because the butter melts quickly in contact with the heat of the oven. To avoid having flat cookies after baking, let the dough chill in the fridge or freezer before baking.
You will also love
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print