The perfect chewy cosmic brownies with chocolate ganache and chocolate candies! This super copycat recipe is just as delicious and fudgy as the original and is a perfect treat for kids on any occasion!
These funny tiny chocolate squares are sprinkled with chocolate candies and it is in fact a copycat of an American industrial snack that you can find on the grocery store, the "Cosmic Brownies ».
A popular childhood snack, marketed by the brand Little Debbie. And for me here in France it's a bit like Nestle's chocolate bars Yes all my generation from the 90's remember it 😉 .
The ultimate chewy brownie
This homemade cosmic brownies is the perfect definition of chewy and fudgy goodness! It has an amazingly rich chocolate texture and every bite is a sweet treat. Like the original Debbie cosmic brownie, you have a thin layer of dark chocolate ganache on top that adds a double dose of sweetness.
On top, there are also little chocolate candies as decoration but I chose to use mini smarties instead and that brings fun to this brownie and some crunch.
Useful tools for this recipe
Ingredients to make this fudgy brownies recipe
This recipe has a good amount of fat that gives the perfect fudgy texture. I use unsalted butter that will be melted with the chocolate.
This is the best way to make a perfect fudge brownie by using chocolate in addition to cocoa powder. To support the Fat: Flour ratio that gives it that perfect texture.
Choose a quality semi-bitter chocolate with at least 64% cocoa but you can also substitute it with semi-sweet chocolate chips.
A combination of powdered sugar and light brown sugar to achieve that nice, chewy texture.
Large eggs at room temperature are essential in this recipe to obtain a smooth texture.
All-purpose flour, the quantity is important to obtain a brownie that is more fudgey than cakey. Use an electronic scale rather than a measuring cup to measure out the flour properly.
The addition of unsweetened cocoa powder adds strength to the taste of the chocolate and makes it darker, making it even more mouthwatering.
Salt and vanilla
A small pinch of salt, I use fleur de sel instead to bring out all the flavors. And pure liquid vanilla extract to flavor this recipe.
For the candy coated you can use chocolate chip candies which are the closest to the original recipe. Or choose like me the mini smarties which are also perfect.
How to make the cosmic brownies
Making the brownie
Start by preheating your oven to 350°F / 180°C and line an 8 inch / 20 cm square brownie pan with parchment paper.
Then in a medium bowl place the chopped chocolate with the butter and melt it either in a double boiler or in the microwave until you have a liquid mixture.
Meanwhile, place the powdered sugar, light brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer for about 1-2 minutes until the sugar is completely melted and the mixture is foamy.
Then stir in the melted mixture of butter and chocolate and mix again for about 1 minute to incorporate it well.
Now add the dry ingredients, flour, cocoa powder and salt and mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula gently. Mix until the mixture is well blended and smooth.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smoothe the top to spread it out evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes and check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. The brownie is perfectly cooked when the toothpick comes out with a few traces of batter and the center is still soft. After cooling it will soften.
Let it cool completely in its mold without unmolding it.
Make the chocolate ganache
While the brownie is cooling, prepare the chocolate ganache by placing the chopped chocolate in a large bowl.
And heat the heavy cream in a saucepan until it simmers, then pour the hot cream over the chocolate.
Mix with a spatula until you have a smooth chocolate ganache. If the chocolate has not melted enough, you can put the ganache in the microwave on low power for a few moments.
Pour the dark chocolate ganache over the top of the brownies and smooth with a spatula to form a thin, uniform layer on top.
Decorate immediately with chocolate candies and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour before cutting with a large knife into 16 small equal pieces.
Serve your dessert with a little vanilla ice cream to soften the chewy texture of this cake.
How to store brownies
At room temperature
Store at room temperature in a covered storage box. It will stay fondant for 1 week.
In the freezer
And for a long conservation, place it cut in parts in a bag of conservation in the freezer until 3 months.
If you like brownies
Tag @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my cosmic brownies recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
- 140 g Butter - unsalted
- 110 g Chocolate - semi-sweet
- 100 g Sugar - powdered
- 50 g Brown sugar - or light brown sugar
- 2 Eggs - large at room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 90 g Flour
- 30 Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 150 g Chocolate - semi-sweet
- 75 ml Heavy cream - 30% fat
- Smarties - or chocolate chip candy
Making the brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and prepare a 8 inch / 20 cm square brownie pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or microwave until smooth.
- In another large bowl, place the powdered sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract and beat with an electric whisk for 1-2 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the liquid chocolate and butter mixture and mix again with an electric whisk for 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, cocoa powder and salt and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the brownie pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Insert a knife blade into the center of the brownie, it should come out with a few traces of batter. The brownie is ready when the center is still soft and will firm up as it cools.
- Let the brownie cool completely in the pan.
- Chop the dark chocolate and place it in a container.
- Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan and then pour it into the chocolate bowl.
- Mix with a spatula until you have a smooth ganache.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the brownie and spread it out to form a smooth layer.
- Place smarties on top and place the brownie in the fridge for at least 1 hour before unmolding.
- Cut the brownies into 16 equal pieces with a large knife.