Recipe of the salted caramel chocolate tart, a dessert composed of a chocolate shortbread dough, a layer of salted butter caramel and a chocolate ganache all topped with a hyper foody decoration!
Best chocolate tart
The chocolate tart is a classic recipe is quite simple to make, it is composed of a base of shortbread dough and a filling of dark chocolate ganache.
Chocolate and caramel tart
Indeed this tart is a gourmet version of the chocolate tart, as it is made with a chocolate shortbread dough, contains a layer of salted butterscotch caramel just below the layer of dark chocolate ganache.
And for the foodie decoration it is optional:
- Caramel au beurre salé
- Macarons au chocolat au lait
- Une crème au beurre à la meringue Italienne
- Amandes caramélisées concassées
- Cooking thermometer
My materials for this recipe
How to make the caramel chocolate tart
Make the chocolate shortbread dough
- Start by beating the egg yolks and icing sugar in a bowl with a whisk.
- Then in a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Then incorporate the butter cut into pieces by rubbing it with the dry ingredients between your hands to form a sandy preparation.
- Then add the egg mixture and icing sugar and mix gently to blend all the ingredients until you form a smooth, homogeneous ball of dough.
- Then cover the dough with cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Finally, after resting time in the fridge, roll out the chocolate shortbread dough with a rolling pin between 2 sheets of baking paper to a thickness of 3-4 mm and make a tart circle 10 inch / 25 cm in diameter.
- Then prick the bottom of the dough with a fork and place in a baking tray covered with baking paper and plate in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to preheat the oven.
- Finish by placing the tart base in the oven for the time indicated in the recipe sheet.
Make the salted butter caramel
- Pour the sugar into a thick-bottomed saucepan over medium heat and cook until the sugar melts and begins to take on an amber, caramelized color. (be careful not to burn the sugar).
- Then gently add the liquid cream and check the temperature with a kitchen thermometer which should reach 226°F / 108°C. (without thermometer cook for about 2 minutes)
- Then once this temperature is reached, stop the cooking and out of the fire incorporate the salted butter cut in pieces.
- Also at this moment add the pinches of fleur de sel.
- Finally to make sure that the caramel is smooth, pass a blow of mixer plunging in the preparation.
- Finish by pouring the caramel into a jar with a lid.
Make the dark chocolate ganache
- Start by breaking the dark chocolate into pieces and place it in a container.
- Then bring the liquid cream to the boil in a saucepan.
- Then pour the hot cream over the chocolate three times and stir between each addition with a wooden spoon or a soft spatula.
- Reserve the chocolate ganache until the chocolate caramel tart is assembled.
Assembly of the chocolate caramel tart
- Start by pouring the salted butter caramel on the tart base and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes to freeze the caramel.
- Then pour the dark chocolate ganache over the caramel until it completely fills the tart base.
- And place again in the chill to completely cool the chocolate.
- Finally decorate your chocolate caramel tart with fillets of salted butterscotch or caramelized hazelnut and almond chips.
How to store the caramel chocolate tart
The chocolate and caramel tart can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Salted caramel chocolate tart
- 220 g flour
- 32 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 157 g soft butter
- 95 g Icing sugar
- 1 pinch salt
Caramel with salted butter
- 150 g sugar
- 107 g salted butter
- 70 g liquide cream - whole
- 1 pinch sea salt
Dark chocolate ganache
- 120 g dark chocolate
- 180 ml liquide cream - whole
Chocolate shortbread dough
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the icing sugar using an whisk.
- Then in a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and salt, then add the soft butter cut into pieces.
- Rub your hands together to crush the flour, cocoa and butter together, just enough to obtain a shortbread texture.
- Make a fountain in the center and add the egg yolk and powdered sugar mixture.
- Mix it all together very quickly by hand, until you get a homogeneous and smooth ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Then roll out the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out a 25 cm diameter tart circle.
- Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork.
- Put in the freezer for 20 minutes to preheat the oven to 347°F / 175°C and then bake the tart for about 20 minutes.
- Let the tart base cool completely before unmoulding.
Salted butter caramel
- Place the powdered sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and heat until an amber caramel color is obtained.
- Then add the liquid cream gently and while stirring monitor the temperature with a cooking thermometer which should reach 228° F / 108°C. (about 2 minutes if you don't have a cooking thermometer)
- Then out of the fire add the pieces of salted butter and the sea salt
- Finish by passing a blender through the caramel to smooth it.
- Reserve the salted butterscotch until the tart is assembled.
Dark chocolate ganache
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place it in a container.
- In a saucepan over low heat, bring the liquid cream to a boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate 3 times and mix well with each addition.
- Reserve the ganache at room temperature until the tart is assembled.
Assembly the caramel chocolate tart
- Start by pouring the salted butter caramel into the tart base and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to freeze the caramel.
- Then cover the caramel with dark chocolate ganache and place in the fridge again to cool the ganache.
- Decorate the top of the chocolate tart with the elements of your choice, hazelnut and almond chips, pecan nuts etc..