Make a chocolate ganache tart at home with this easy and delicious recipe, made with a crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth homemade shortcrust pastry, filled with a dark chocolate ganache filling and decorated with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
To all chocolate lovers, you won't be able to resist having a second slice of this delicious chocolate ganache tart recipe with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
The chocolate tart recipe is a classic and decadent dessert that is very popular in France and around the world for its absolutely delicious and rich chocolate taste on a crunchy shortbread crust.
Like my version of chocolate tartlet, this chocolate tart is a very easy recipe to make at home, it is only composed of 2 preparations, a shortcrust pastry the French pâte sablée crust, and a dark chocolate ganache filling.
With its light and fresh whipped cream and a few chocolate shavings, it can also be made even more delicious with a layer of salted caramel sauce, some nuts or simply served with fresh fruit or custard.
Composition of this tart
Here is an overview of the ingredients and possible substitutions to make this delicious chocolate ganache tart at home, scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card and move right on to making this dessert.
The best recipe to make this tart is the pâte sablée tart crust, very easy to make and with its sandy, melt-in-your-mouth texture, perfect with the chocolate filling.
You can replace it with other tart crusts, such as the pate sucrée recipe which is crunchier or cookie crumbs such as Oreo crumbs, Biscoff cookies, or chocolate graham crackers.
- Chocolate: Use high-quality chocolate, such as bittersweet chocolate or simply semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate bars. To make a milk chocolate tart, use milk chocolate and multiply the quantity of chocolate by 0.8 to get the right amount of heavy cream to add.
- Heavy cream: Use full-fat cream with at least 30% fat or even whipping cream.
- Sea salt: Essential to bring out the full flavor of the chocolate.
- Sugar: Optionally, and depending on the chocolate you are using, add natural sugar such as honey, maple syrup, or even corn syrup.
- Option: Add crushed nuts, such as almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, or walnuts to bring crunch to the filling.
- Caramel: Add a layer of salted caramel sauce between the pastry crust and the chocolate ganache for extra deliciousness.
- Flavor: Orange peel, lemon peel, or just pure vanilla extract.
- Crunch: A chocolate feuilletine crunch for extra flavor.
- Fruits: Fresh fruits for decoration, raspberries, strawberries, cherries, pear slices, orange slices, kiwi, coconut, etc.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make the chocolate Ganache tart
1 - Tart shell
- Place the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, flour, powdered sugar, almond meal and a pinch of salt.
- Add the cold unsalted butter pieces and mix with your hands until you have a sandy preparation without pieces.
- Then add the egg and gather the dough with your hands until it forms a ball of dough that is not very homogeneous.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place the dough in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 3-4 mm and place in a tart circle or a tart pan.
- Place the tart in the freezer for 1 hour before baking it in a preheated oven at 347°F / 175°C for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Allow the tart shell to cool completely to room temperature before removing from the tart pan and placing it on a large flat plate.
Tip: You can make the crust by replacing ¼ of the flour with unsweetened cocoa powder to make a cocoa powder crust version.
2 - Chop the chocolate
- Start by finely chopping the chocolate with a large knife until you have small pieces of chocolate.
- Then place it in a large heatproof container.
Tip: Choose quality chocolate that will melt more easily and give you a smooth ganache. Chopping the chocolate finely will also help in this step.
3 - Make the ganache
- Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat until it simmers.
- Pour the hot cream all at once over the chopped dark chocolate and let it sit for a few moments.
- Mix with a rubber spatula, a wooden spoon or a hand whisk until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Blend with an immersion blender if necessary to smooth out the ganache and remove any small pieces of chocolate that are not completely melted.
- Allow the ganache to cool slightly before using.
Tip: If your chocolate is having trouble melting, you can place your bowl in a double boiler to help it melt or in the microwave.
4 - Assembly
- Pour the melted chocolate ganache into the cooled tart shell until it is completely filled.
- Place the tart in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours until the chocolate ganache is firm.
- Decorate the top of the chocolate ganache tart with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings before serving with red fruits, and vanilla ice cream.
How to make chocolate shavings
- Heat semi-sweet chocolate chips in a double boiler until completely melted (if possible, temper the chocolate).
- Pour chocolate onto the back of a large, flat baking sheet and spread with an angled spatula to form a 1-2 mm layer of chocolate.
- Let the chocolate sheet cool at room temperature or in the fridge until it is barely firm to the touch.
- Using a spatula or a steel scraper, scrape the slab to form nice little chocolate curls.
- Store shavings in a box with a tight-fitting lid until ready to decorate the tart.
Tip: For failed chocolate shavings you can always melt them again and start over.
In the fridge: You can store the chocolate ganache tart in the refrigerator for 4-5 days under plastic wrap or in a storage box.
Freezer: Chocolate tarts can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months, when completely cooled, placed in a storage box or wrapped in plastic wrap.
Let it thaw gently in the refrigerator overnight.
More Tart recipes
- Strawberry tart with pastry cream
- Frangipane Tart
- Pear frangipane Tart
- Salted caramel chocolate tart
More chocolate desserts
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print