The easy and classic French strawberry tart recipe! A traditional dessert full of freshness with a crispy crust filled with an almond cream (frangipane), a delicious pastry cream and decorated with strawberries.
The timeless favorite dessert of the French is the strawberry tart! An ultra simple recipe, full of freshness and so tasty with its easy homemade crust and fill with a smooth vanilla pastry cream.
With the arrival of spring and the first strawberries, comes this fabulous classic and very popular dessert, the strawberry tart!
This traditional tart that is appreciated by all, it is full of freshness and flavors and perfect for any occasion, and especially to finish a family lunch.
A French pastry that seems technical by its composition, yet the preparations are very simple and requires very little knowledge in pastry.
How to make strawberry tart
- Heat the milk with half of the split and scraped vanilla bean until it boils, then remove from heat and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cornstarch and mix again to incorporate.
- Pour the milk over the egg and sugar mixture, through a sieve to catch the vanilla bean and any residue.
- Whisk to combine, then return to the saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the mixture until you obtain a thick cream, as soon as it starts to boil continue cooking for another minute.
- Add the chopped butter off the heat and stir again to incorporate it.
- Pour the custard into a rectangular dish.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge until cool.
Almond cream (Frangipane)
- Place all ingredients in a bowl, softened butter, almond meal, powdered sugar, egg and pinch of salt.
- Mix until smooth and homogeneous.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge.
- Place the dry ingredients, flour, confectionner's sugar, almond meal and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the cold butter cut into pieces.
- Mix without kneading with your hands, rubbing the mixture until the butter is incorporated and you obtain a sandy preparation.
- Add the egg and mix to collect the dough until you get a smooth and homogeneous ball.
- Spread the shortcrust between 2 sheets of baking paper to a thickness of 3-4 mm.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Line a tart ring.
- Place a 8 - 10 inch (22 - 24 cm) diameter tart ring or on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Take the rolled dough out of the fridge and fill the tart ring with it.
- Prick the bottom of the tart with a fork and place your pie crust in the fridge for at least 2 hours or 1 night ideally (or at least 30 minutes in the freezer if you are in a hurry)
Baking the pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 338°F / 170°C and bake the tart for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tart crust without turning off the oven.
- Fill the inside with the almond cream and smooth with a spatula.
- Return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the tart ring and bake for another 5 minutes and bake until golden brown.
- Allow the tar crust to cool completely to room temperature.
Tip: You can cover your pie crust with aluminum foil and then fill the inside completely with dried beans to bake the pie crust blank.
Assembly of the strawberry tart
- Whip the pastry cream for 1 minute with an hand mixer to give it lightness and volume.
- Fill a pastry bag with the cream and fill the bottom of the tart.
- Hull the strawberries and cut them in 2 and place them on top of the pie.
- Place your strawberry tart in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
How to store the strawberry tart.
It can be kept in the refrigerator covered in a cardboard box or under a cling film and it keeps its freshness for 24-48 hours.
More tart recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print