How to make the best soft and moist blueberry muffins with crumb topping! This recipe is delicious and very easy to make at home, follow my recipe in video and you will never miss these muffins for breakfast
Best Blueberry streusel Muffins
If you love muffin recipes and blueberries then you won't be able to resist this delicious combination in these blueberry muffins with crumb topping recipe.
Definitely these are the best homemade blueberry muffins recipe I've ever tasted, they are as good as the ones you can buy in coffee shops or in bakeries.
They are fluffy, with a nice moist texture, and not at all dry in the mouth. They have everything you want from a good muffin, flavor, texture and a nice bump on top!
Made used fresh blueberries, they can also be made with frozen blueberries, one more reason to enjoy these blueberry muffin recipe all year long.
Just follow this recipe, watch the recipe video and all my tips on how to make them and you'll have the perfect breakfast muffins to go or for your little cravings during the day.
Can you make these with frozen blueberries?
No need to wait for blueberry season to make a batch of blueberry muffins recipes and enjoy. Yes, it is possible to make this recipe with frozen blueberries and even your muffins will be just as good.
How to make these? Simply follow the instructions in this recipe using frozen blueberries.
Don't leave the blueberries thawed to start the recipe and don't skip the tips I give you next to keep the fruit in the center.
Ingredients you need for this muffin recipe
Buttermilk blueberry muffins :
- Flour: Use all purpose flour and measure the quantities with an electronic scale to be precise. For gluten-free muffins, use rice flour.
- Butter and oil: Use a mixture of unsalted butter and vegetable oil like rapeseed oil or grape seed oil
- Sugar : Use a granulated sugar that will dissolve quickly and give a nice smooth texture.
- Eggs: Take your eggs out at least 30 minutes before making this recipe so that they are at room temperature.
- Buttermilk : If you don't have buttermilk, you can substitute it with sour cream, plain yogurt or milk.
- Leavening agents : To make the batter rise and get that nice bump, I use a combination of baking powder and baking soda.
- Lemon juice : To flavor this recipe add fresh lemon juice or add lemon zest or a small amount of a lemon flavor.
- Salt and vanilla : And to bring out all the flavors don't forget the little pinch of salt and pure vanilla extract.
Crumb topping :
- Flour : Use plain flour or all purpose flour.
- Brown sugar : preferably a flavored sugar such as cane sugar or light brown sugar.
- Butter : Unsalted and cold butter.
- Almond meal : almond meal that you can also replace with flour or hazelnut meal.
- Cinnamon : Optional to flavour the crumble topping.
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card further down on this page.
Tips for making fruit muffins
Don't miss these tips to make a success of your fruit muffins and to make sure that the fruit stays in the center of the dough and doesn't fall to the bottom during baking :
- Place fresh or frozen fruit in a small bowl without waiting for it to thaw.
- Add a tablespoon of Flour or cornstarch to your fruit and mix so that the flour coats all the fruit
The flour will absorb the humidity of the fruit and in this way the fruit will stick to the muffin batter. Also the muffin batter must be thick enough to hold them and prevent them from falling to the bottom.
How to make Blueberry muffins with crumb topping
1 - Crumble topping (streusel)
- In a medium bowl combine flour, almond meal, light brown sugar, cold butter, pinch of salt and ground cinnamon.
- With your hands, mix the ingredients together until you have a compact mixture that you can crumble.
- Place the streusel in the fridge while preparing the muffins.
Tip: You can add a small handful of oatmeal to your streusel and you have the perfect breakfast muffin.
2 - Muffin batter
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and set aside.
- Whisk together the melted butter, vegetable oil, sugar, eggs at room temperature, liquid vanilla extract, and lemon juice in another large bowl. Mix until you have a smooth, homogeneous paste.
- Then incorporate the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately one after the other in small quantities in the wet ingredients, mixing gently with the whisk or a spatula and until you obtain a thick batter with some lumps.
- Finally, fold in the blueberries and mix gently to incorporate them into the batter.
3 - Baking
- Preheat the oven to 428°F/ 220° and line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- Fill the muffin cups with the muffin batter using a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop.
- If desired, place a few fresh blueberries on top, add the crumbled streusel, or simply sprinkle with cane sugar.
- Bake the muffins for 5 minutes, lower the temperature to 392°F/ 200°C and bake for an additional 20 minutes until the muffins are puffed and golden on top.
- Let the blueberry muffins cool a little before removing them from the muffin pan, then let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Tip: Muffins are done when the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
Storage and Freeze
At room temperature
You can store blueberry muffins for up to a week at room temperature in an airtight container or in the refrigerator under plastic wrap.
You can reheat them a little in the microwave to make them softer.
In the freezer
You can also freeze the muffins, when they are completely cooled, by placing them in a box or a bag of conservation and for approximately 3 months.
To defrost, simply let them come back to room temperature or put them in the microwave for a few moments with the defrost function.
More muffins recipes
- Lemon muffins with lemon glaze
- Lemon poppy seed muffins
- Chocolate banana muffins
- Banana bread muffins
- Nutella muffins
- Banana oatmeal healthy muffins
- Bakery style chocolate chip muffins
- Double chocolate chip muffins
- Pumpkin streusel muffins
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print