How to make the best Nutella muffins as soft and moist as my favorite bakery style chocolate chip muffins recipe. They are incredibly delicious and easy to make with a runny Nutella heart.
This Fluffy Nutella muffin recipe will make all Nutella lovers fall in love, a recipe approved at home by my 4 children and my husband.
The dream combination of a Nutella-flavored muffin, an incomparable softness with an airy yet moist crumb and a little Nutella swirl on top with Nutella spread in the center.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Quick and easy recipe with simple ingredients and my step-by-step tips for making this recipe work.
- Fluffy and moist muffins with a nice bump on top.
- Delicious vanilla flavor with an ultra-greedy Nutella heart.
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are the ingredients you will need and possible substitutions to make tender homemade muffins with a Nutella heart recipe at home, scroll down to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Butter: Unsalted butter and softened or melted butter and cooled.
- Vegetable oil: sunflower oil, canola oil, or even coconut oil.
- Sugar: White granulated sugar or flavored sugar such as brown sugar.
- Eggs: Large eggs at room temperature
- Salt and vanilla: Essential to bring out all the flavors and bring out all the flavors.
- Buttermilk: you can replace it with milk, yogurt or sour cream.
- Flour: Use cake flour that you can also replace with all-purpose wheat flour, whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour like rice flour.
- Raising agents: A mixture of baking soda and baking powder to make the muffins rise. You can also use only 1 packet of baking powder.
- Nutella spread: To make Nutella heart, you can also replace it with biscoff butter spread or another spread.
- Chocolate Chips: Add an extra dose of chocolate with mini chocolate chips or dark chocolate pieces.
- Nuts: Chunks of almonds, hazelnuts, pecans for a crunchy texture.
- Spices: A pinch of powdered cinnamon, pumpkin spice mix, or even a cinnamon sugar topping.
- Banana: banana chunks to make a version of banana nutella muffins
You will find the quantities and instructions in the recipe card below in this page
How to make Nutella muffins
- Make the inserts by scooping out large chunks of Nutella spread with a tablespoon onto a large baking sheet.
- Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes before starting the recipe.
Mix wet ingredients
- Place softened butter, oil, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Beat with a whisk or hand mixer until smooth and homogeneous.
Tips: Always use ingredients at room temperature to have a smooth preparation. You can soften the butter in the microwave and run the eggs under hot water.
Add dry ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the large bowl containing the wet ingredients.
- And gently stir with a soft spatula or a wooden spoon just enough to incorporate them and until you get a smooth and homogeneous muffin batter.
Tips: Be careful not to over mix after adding the dry ingredients. The muffin batter is still a little thick and lumpy, this is normal.
- Preheat oven to 392°F / 200°C fan oven and place muffin cups in a muffin tins.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the paper liners halfway.
- Place frozen Nutella discs on top of each muffin without pushing them into the batter.
- Cover muffin discs with muffin batter to cover them completely.
- Drop teaspoon of Nutella on top of the muffins and form a swirl with the tip of a knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes without opening the door.
- Check that the muffins are well done with a toothpick inserted on the edge of a muffin, it should come out clean or with a few crumbs
- Allow muffins to cool slightly before removing from muffin tin then let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Tip: Use an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin cups more easily. Be careful not to open the oven door during baking and not to overcook the muffins or they will be too dry.
Storage and Freese
Room temperature: These Nutella muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or under a plastic wrap for up to 1 week
You can heat them up a little in the microwave to make them softer.
How to freeze muffins? Freeze muffins when completely cooled, placed in a storage bag or box with a lid for up to 3 months.
Defrost: Let them come back to room temperature slowly or use the defrost function of the microwave directly.
Tips for this recipe
You can keep muffins in the freezer longer by placing them in a storage box or freshness packets and freezing them for up to 3 months.
Let them return to room temperature or you can use the defrost function of your microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
The muffin batter should be thick and lumpy, it will hold the mounds of Nutella and prevent it from falling back into the bottom of the pan.
They are ready when they are puffed and golden on top. You can check for doneness by plunging a toothpick into the center of the muffin, it should come out clean or with a few crumbs.
If your muffins fall back after baking, they were undercooked. Do not open the oven door during baking as this may cause heat shock and cause the bump to fall out.
More muffins recipes
- Healthy oatmeal banana muffins
- Blueberry streusel muffins
- Lemon muffins with lemon glaze
- Lemon poppy seed muffins
- Double chocolate chip muffins
- Banana bread muffins
- Double chocolate banana muffins
- Pumpkin streusel muffins
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print