How to make the best soft and extra moist double chocolate chip muffins recipe flavored with cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
The combination of these two ingredients provides a rich and moist texture and that's all you want in double chocolate muffins that you'd eat all day.
Best Double Chocolate muffins
These are the best moist double chocolate chip muffins I've ever tasted, as good as the ones you can buy in the bakery but in a much better homemade version.
They have everything you'd expect from a good muffin, a very fluffy and moist texture, a nice bump and most importantly a double dose of chocolate flavor with chocolate chips.
This is a perfect base recipe for your homemade chocolate muffin, in which you can add nuts or a spread heart to make them even tastier.
Follow my easy muffin video recipe and don't miss my tips for making them successful every time.
And you'll have perfect double chocolate muffins to share with your family for breakfast or any other occasion.
Chocolate muffins composition
These chocolate muffins are flavored with a double dose of chocolate, cocoa powder and the addition of chocolate chips enhances the chocolate flavor and gives a rich and moist texture.
They are also made with buttermilk, a key ingredient that brings so much softness to cakes that I don't hesitate to put it in all my muffin or soft cake recipes.
But don't panic if you don't have any at home, I tell you in the recipe card how you can replace it.
Ingredients you need
- Flour: Use a white all purpose flour, which you can replace with plain flour or a gluten-free flour such as rice flour or oat flour.
- Cocoa powder: Use unsweetened cocoa powder to flavor the chocolate recipe.
- Yeast: A mixture of baking powder and baking soda is essential to make the batter rise and get that nice bump. If you don't have baking soda then use only baking powder.
- Salt and vanilla: To bring out all the flavors and perfume this recipe.
- Oil: For the fat, use only vegetable oil such as grape seed oil or canola oil. But if you prefer to use butter you can make a mixture of half oil and half melted and cooled butter.
- Sugar: A white sugar that you can replace with flavored sugar such as brown sugar or cane sugar.
- Eggs: at room temperature
- Buttermilk: The acidity of the buttermilk gives these muffins their wonderful softness. You can replace it with 2 % milk, greek yogurt, or sour cream.
- Chocolate chips: You can replace semisweet chocolate chips with semi-sweet chocolate chunks.
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card further down on this page.
- Nuts: Add crushed nuts to your muffins batter, such as walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts or pecans for added crunch.
How to make Double Chocolate chip muffin recipe
1 - Mix the dry ingredients
- Start by mixing together the dry ingredients, flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, teaspoon of baking powder and teaspoon of baking soda and salt in a medium bowl until well blended.
- Then set aside.
Tip: To make sure the mixture is homogeneous, you can sieve your preparation.
2 - Mix the wet ingredients
- In a large bowl, place the vegetable oil, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl and beat with a hand whisk or an electric mixer until smooth.
- Then add the buttermilk and mix again to incorporate it.
Tip: You can't smell the oil in these muffins at all. Use a neutral oil and if you prefer to use butter, then make a mixture of oil and melted butter.
3 - Mix in the dry ingredients and chocolate chips
- Add the dry ingredient mixture and ¾ of the chocolate chips to the large bowl containing the wet mixture.
- This time, beat with a flexible spatula to incorporate them and obtain a homogeneous but slightly lumpy batter.
Tip: Be careful not to over mix, the muffin batter should be thick and lumpy.
3 - Baking
- Preheat the oven to 428°F/ 220°C and prepare a standard muffin tin baking cups.
- Pour the muffin batter into the muffin cups, making sure to fill them completely.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the batter and bake for 5 min then lower the oven temperature to 350°F/ 180°C and bake for another 20 min.
- Your chocolate muffins will be ready when they have a big bump on the top and when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool a bit in the muffin tins before letting them cool completely on a wire rack.
Tip: Do not open the oven door while baking or the muffin bump will fall out.
Storage and freezing
At room temperature
Place these double chocolate muffin in a airtight container and store them at room temperature for about 1 week.
You can reheat them a bit in the microwave to make them softer.
How to Freeze Chocolate Muffins
You can also freeze the muffins and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When they are baked and completely cooled, place them in a storage box or storage bag and place them in the freezer.
Let them come out of the freezer slowly or use the defrost function of your microwave.
5 Tips to successful Chocolate muffin
- Yeast combination: Use a mixture of baking powder and baking soda which is 4 times more powerful to have big and soft muffins.
- Don't overbeat the mixture: The muffin batter is thick and a bit lumpy, which also helps to retain the chocolate pieces and prevent them from falling back into the bottom of the pan. Do not use an electric mixer to mix in the dry ingredients, as this will limit the mixing of the batter.
- Fill completely the cups : To make large muffins, fill each cup completely to the brim with the mixture.
- Baking at a high temperature: Muffins are baked at a very high temperature, which boosts the baking from the start to make the batter develop, then lower the temperature for softer baking. Be careful not to overcook them or they will be too dry.
- Do not open the oven door: This can cause a temperature shock and make the muffins fall back, especially at the beginning of the baking process.
More muffin recipes
- Double Chocolate banana muffins
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Banana bread Muffins
- Lemon Muffins with Sugar Glaze
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Pumpkin streusel muffins
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print