Indulge in the ultimate breakfast delight with these blueberry chocolate chip muffins! They're incredibly soft, moist, and generously packed with juicy blueberries and crunchy chocolate chips. Start your day right with these delectable treats.
Why you'll love this recipe
Blueberry chocolate chip muffins are delightful treats that combine the sweetness of blueberries with the richness of dark chocolate. They are an irresistible indulgence, perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings any time of day.
This blueberry muffin recipe is delicious, featuring a moist and tender texture, bursting with juicy blueberries and crunchy chocolate chips. Plus, you can enjoy them anytime, whether you use fresh or frozen blueberries.
Super easy to make at home, using simple ingredients, and I provide all my tips for success in creating large bakery-style muffin tops that are perfect for any occasion.
More Muffin Recipes
*You'll find quantities and full instructions in the recipe card at the end of this page.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is perfect for light and tender muffins. If needed, you can use cake flour.
- Leavening Agents: This combination ensures an airy and tender texture for the muffins. Baking powder helps the batter rise, while baking soda contributes to its lightness.
- Salt: A small pinch of salt enhances the flavors without making the muffins salty.
- Oil: Oil adds tenderness and lightness to the batter, You can also use melted butter that has been cooled, or a mixture of softened butter and oil.
- Sugar: Fine granulated white sugar provides the necessary sweetness for these delectable muffins. You can also use light brown sugar to lightly flavor the muffins.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract or vanilla bean seeds offer a fragrant and delightfully sweet flavor.
- Buttermilk: buttermilk ensures tender and moist muffins. If needed, substitutions are possible, such as using milk mixed with white vinegar or lemon juice, sour cream, plain yogurt or Greek yogurt.
- Blueberries: Blueberries bring a fruity and tangy touch, along with a beautiful purple color. You can use fresh blueberries or frozen berries.
- Mini Chocolate Chips: Chocolate chips melt into the muffin batter, creating swirls of chocolatey goodness. You can choose between dark chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips.
- Lemon juice: Optionally, add half of fresh lemon juice to brighten up the flavors in your blueberry muffins.
How to make chocolate chip blueberry muffins
Mixing wet ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, combine vegetable oil with granulated sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, then whisk again to incorporate them.
Add dry ingredients
- In a large bowl, mix together and sift the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Then gently fold in the flour mixture with a whisk or rubber spatula and mix until you have a thick muffin batter.
- Finish by folding in the blueberries, which have been previously coated with a tablespoon of flour.
- Then, add the chocolate chips or chocolate chunks and mix just enough to incorporate them.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (428°F) and line a muffin pan with muffin cups.
- Pour the muffin batter into the liners, making sure to fill them completely.
- Add some blueberries and chocolate chips on the tops of the muffins.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180°C (356°F) and continue baking for about 15 minutes until they are large and golden on top.
- Allow the blueberry muffins to cool slightly before removing them from the molds and letting them cool completely on a wire rack.
Storage and Freeze
In the fridge: Store blueberry chocolate chip muffins at room temperature in an airtight container or under plastic wrap for about 4-5 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week in a storage container.
In the freezer: Once they are completely cooled, place them in a storage container or in a freezer bag and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let them thaw gently at room temperature before warming them up in the oven for a bit.
Tips for this recipe
- Ingredients at room temperature: Ensure that all ingredients, such as eggs and butter, are at room temperature for better incorporation and a homogeneous texture to get the best results.
- Sift the dry ingredients together: Before incorporating the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, sift them together (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt) to prevent lumps.
- Avoid overmixing the batter: Mix the batter just enough to combine the ingredients. Avoid overmixing, as it can make the muffins dense.
- Fill the cupcake liners to the brim: Fill the paper liners completely with batter to achieve large, plump, and uniform muffins.
- Bake at a high temperature for beautiful domes: Preheat the oven to a high temperature to allow the muffins to develop beautiful domes at the beginning of baking. Then, lower the temperature to cook the interior gently.
- Cool on a cake rack: Once baked, let the muffins cool on a cake rack rather than in the muffin tin to prevent the bottoms from becoming too moist.
- Double Chocolate Blueberry Muffins: Make my chocolate muffin recipe by adding blueberries to it for a delicious blueberry chocolate muffin recipe.
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins: Swap blueberries for fresh or frozen raspberries to enjoy a fruity, tangy flavor paired with dark chocolate.
- Blueberry Walnut Chocolate Chip Muffins: Incorporate chopped walnuts into the batter for a crunchy texture and a nutty taste that complements the chocolate chips perfectly.
- Banana Blueberry Muffins: Mix in banana puree for natural sweetness that pairs wonderfully with the blueberries.
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins: Add oats to the batter for extra nutrition and a touch of crunch.
- Blueberry Gluten-Free Muffins: Use gluten-free flour or a gluten-free flour blend for a version suitable for those with gluten intolerance.
- Blueberry Chocolate Chip Crumble Muffins: Add a streusel topping on top of the muffins as in my blueberry crumble muffin recipe, for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
- Add a Lemon Glaze: Like these recipes for lemon muffins with glaze or these lemon poppy seed muffins with glaze.
More Blueberry Recipes
Did you make this recipe?
Remember to drop a ⭐️ 5-star rating 🙏 and share your thoughts in the comments! Stay updated with more delicious recipes by following @sweetlycakes on Instagram. If you whip up this recipe, make sure to tag me – I'd love to see your creation! 😊!Print