How to make delicious banana bread muffins recipe that taste and smell just like banana bread. This is a very quick and easy recipe and if you add a touch of ground cinnamon and chopped walnuts you will have a perfect grab and go breakfast.
Best Banana bread muffins
These banana muffin recipe are delicious and like my favorite banana bread recipe, these muffins have the same texture as a bread and all the flavor of the baked banana.
I love all the recipes made with bananas, they add so much to the recipes and it's a way to recover those bananas that are a bit too ripe and that no one wants to eat at home.
The addition of ripe banana to cake recipes adds a moist, soft texture. At the same time, the banana naturally sweetens the muffins and adds a delicious flavor.
Like my healthy banana oatmeal muffins recipe, this banana bread muffins are perfect for those little cravings during the day or for a grab and go breakfast.
They are very easy and quick to make at home with just one bowl and an electric mixer or even a hand whisk.
And if you add some chopped nuts and chocolate chips to these muffins, no one will resist.
Banana muffins ingredients & variations
- Butter: Use unsalted butter, you can melt it in the microwave and let it cool a bit.
- Brown sugar: Use flavored sugar such as dark brown sugar or light brown sugar or even cane sugar.
- Egg: At room temperature.
- Vanilla: Pure liquid vanilla extract.
- Bananas : Use ripe bananas or if your bananas are not very ripe you can put them in the microwave or oven for a few moments to soften them.
- Wheat Flour: Use all-purpose flour, which can be replaced by wholemeal flour or gluten-free flour such as rice or oat flour.
- Baking powder: A mixture of baking soda and baking powder, which you can replace with a packet of baking powder.
- Salt: A pinch of salt is essential to bring out all the flavors.
- Nuts: Add chopped walnuts or pecans for a touch of crunch.
- Cinnamon: Traditional recipes are also flavored with a bit of cinnamon powder which blends well with the banana flavor.
- Chocolate Chip: Add mini chocolate chips or chocolate chunks for more sweet and chocolatey banana bread muffins.
Find the ingredients and complete instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
How to make banana bread muffins
1 - Mash the bananas
Place banana chunks in a medium bowl and using a fork, mashed them into a puree with some chunks left.
Tip: Use ripe bananas to mash them more easily or you can warm them up a bit in the microwave to soften them a bit.
2 - Mix the wet ingredients
Place the melted butter and brown sugar in a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes to dissolve the sugar and obtain a smooth mixture.
Then add the mashed bananas, eggs and vanilla and whisk together again with an electric mixer to incorporate.
3 - Stir in the dry ingredients
Finish by adding the all purpose flour baking powder, baking soda and salt, and add ground cinnamon.
Then mix this time with a spatula to avoid overmixing the batter and until you have a homogeneous muffin batter, thick with some lumps.
Tip: The banana muffins batter should be thick and lumpy, if not then add a few more flour.
How to bake banana bread muffins
Preheat oven to 428°F / 220°C and set up a muffin pan with paper liners.
Pour the banana bread muffin batter into the prepared muffin tin with a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop to measure out the quantities.
Bake for 5 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 392°F / 200°C and bake for an additional 18-20 minutes until muffins are puffed and golden on top.
Check the banana bread muffins by sticking a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin and it should comes out clean with a few crumbs.
Tip: Fill the muffin tins to the top to make large muffins and be careful not to open the oven door while baking.
How to eat the banana bread muffin
Banana bread muffins are delicious on their own, but if you add a filling to go with them they will be even tastier.
Here are some ideas for fillings:
Storage and freezing
Place banana bread muffins in an airtight container and you can keep them for up to 1 week at room temperature. You can reheat them slightly in the microwave to make them a little softer.
In the freezer
You can store muffins in the freezer for up to 3 months. Place them in storage bags once they are cooled and put them in your freezer.
To defrost, let them come back to room temperature or use the defrost function on your microwave.
More Muffin Recipes
- Double chocolate banana muffins
- Lemon muffins with lemon glaze
- Lemon poppy seed muffins
- Blueberry muffins with crumb topping
- Nutella muffins
- Bakery style chocolate chip muffins
- Double chocolate chip muffins
- Pumpkin streusel muffins
More banana recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print