How to make super soft and tasty banana bread cookies with this quick and easy recipe perfect to go with my apple banana smoothie. You'll only need one banana to make these cookies to enjoy for breakfast or a snack.
Why you'll love this recipe
This soft banana bread cookies recipe with chopped walnuts are delicious and will satisfy everybody who loves banana desserts and mostly banana bread recipes 🍌.
This banana cookie has a texture that is closer to a cake than a chewy chocolate chip cookie and that's what makes this cookies recipe taste just like banana bread.
- Irresistible Flavor: These cookies combine the comforting taste of banana bread with the nutty crunch of walnuts, creating a delightful flavor fusion that's hard to resist.
- Soft and Chewy Texture: Banana bread cookies are known for their soft and chewy texture, making them a perfect treat for those who enjoy cookies with a tender bite.
- Nutritional Boost: Walnuts not only add a delightful crunch but also provide a dose of healthy fats, fiber, and protein, making these cookies a more nutritious indulgence.
- Easy Snacking: These cookies are conveniently portioned, making them an ideal snack or dessert option whenever you're craving a sweet and satisfying treat.
More Cookie Recipes
Ingredients you need
*You will find the ingredients and instructions in the recipe card further down this page.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter that has been melted and cooled, or you can use softened butter for a creamier texture.
- Sugar: A blend of white granulated sugar and flavorful sugars such as brown sugar or light brown sugar is ideal. If you prefer a less refined option, consider using unrefined whole sugar like coconut sugar, but avoid using powdered sugar.
- Egg: Ensure the egg is at room temperature for better incorporation into the cookie dough.
- Banana: Use a ripe banana, preferably mashed, to infuse the cookies with natural sweetness and banana flavor.
- Flour: Opt for white wheat all-purpose flour for a classic cookie texture. Alternatively, you can use wholemeal flour for a healthier twist or gluten-free flour for those with dietary restrictions.
- Leavening Agent: Baking soda is recommended for a softer cookie texture. However, if needed, you can substitute it with baking powder.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract adds a delightful aroma and enhances the overall flavor of the cookies.
- Salt: A small amount of salt is essential to balance and bring out all the flavors in the cookies.
- Nuts: Incorporate chopped walnuts or pecans for a delightful nutty crunch. You can also experiment with other nuts like macadamia nuts for variation.
How to make banana nut cookies
Creaming the butter
- Start by mashing the banana with a fork in a bowl or plate.
- Place softened butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar (in this case, light brown sugar) in a large bowl.
- Beat with a hand whisk or hand mixer for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
Add Eggs and banana
- Add the mashed banana, vanilla extract and egg.
- And mix again with an electric mixer for a good minute to incorporate them well.
Add dry ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Then add the chopped walnuts and mix this time with a spatula gently to incorporate them just enough to have homogeneous cookie dough.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper/
- Form small balls of dough with your hands or use an ice cream scoop and place them on the cookie sheet covered with parchment paper (be sure to space them at least 2 inches apart as they will spread out during baking).
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the diameter, until the cookies are puffy and golden on top.
- Remove the banana cookies from the oven and let them cool a bit on the baking sheet before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Storage and freezing
Room temperature: Store your banana bread cookies in an airtight container with a lid and keep for about 1 week.
Can I freeze these cookies?
Yes, you can freeze banana bread cookies. Place them in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag, separating layers with parchment paper to prevent sticking, and they should stay fresh for several months in the freezer.
Defrost: Let them come back to room temperature or heat them up a bit by using the defrost function of your microwave.
Tips for this recipe
- Ripe Bananas: Use overripe bananas for the best flavor and moisture. They should have brown spots or be mostly brown.
- Balanced Sweeteners: Use a combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar for both sweetness and moisture.
- Butter at Room Temperature: Ensure the butter is soft but not melted. Cream it with the sugars until light and fluffy.
- Don't Overmix: Once the dry ingredients are added, mix until just combined. Overmixing can result in denser cookies.
- Chill the Dough: Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes before scooping and baking. This helps prevent excessive spreading.
- Use a Cookie Scoop: For uniform cookies, use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Bake Until Set: Bake the cookies until they are set but still slightly soft in the center. They will continue to firm up as they cool.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies: Fold in chocolate chips for a classic and irresistible combination.
- Peanut Butter Banana Cookies: Swirl in creamy or crunchy peanut butter for a nutty and satisfying twist.
- Oatmeal Banana Cookies: Add rolled oats to the dough for a hearty and textured cookie.
- Spiced Banana Cookies: Add warm spices like ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice for a comforting and aromatic variation.
- Raisin Banana Cookies: Include raisins or other dried fruits for a chewy and sweet element.
- Pumpkin Banana Cookies: Combine mashed ripe bananas with canned pumpkin puree for a delightful fall-inspired treat.
- Gluten-Free Banana Cookies: Use gluten-free flour or almond flour to make these cookies suitable for those with gluten sensitivities.
More walnut and banana recipes
Did you make this recipe?
Remember to drop a ⭐️ 5-star rating 🙏 and share your thoughts in the comments! Stay updated with more delicious recipes by following @sweetlycakes on Instagram. If you whip up this recipe, make sure to tag me – I'd love to see your creation! 😊!Print