How to make super soft and tasty banana bread cookies with this quick and easy recipe. You'll only need one banana to make these cookies to enjoy for breakfast or a snack.
Banana bread in a Banana cookies
This soft banana bread cookies recipe with chopped walnuts are delicious and will satisfy everybody who loves banana desserts and mostly banana bread recipes 🍌.
This banana cookie has a texture that is closer to a cake than a chewy chocolate chip cookie and that's what makes this cookies recipe taste just like banana bread.
As in all the recipes made with ripe bananas, we find all the taste and flavor of the banana, which also brings a super soft and moist texture to the cakes and as here it brings a cakey texture.
They are very easy to make at home and you only need one banana to make these cookies. So if you have some ripe bananas this is your chance to try this recipe!
These soft banana bread cookie are delicious with chopped walnuts, but you can pair bananas with chocolate by adding dark chocolate chips or dried cranberries, raisins and other nuts.
Like my healthy banana muffins recipe made with oatmeal, or like the banana bread muffins, this banana bread cookies recipe is really perfect for breakfast or your little snacks of the day.
>> See all cookie recipes on the blog
Ingredients and substitutions
Here is the ingredients list to make these homemade cookies and some possible substitutions. You will find the quantities and instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter that has been melted and cooled or softened.
- Sugar: A mixture of white granulated sugar and flavored sugar such as brown sugar or light brown sugar, you can replace the sugar by unrefined whole sugar like a coconut sugar but avoid using powdered sugar.
- Egg: at room temperature.
- Banana: Preferably use a ripe banana mashed.
- Flour: White wheat all purpose flour or wholemeal flourfor healthier cookies or a gluten-free flour.
- Yeast: Baking soda gives the cookies a softer texture you can replace it with baking powder.
- Vanilla and salt: Essential to bring out all the flavors.
- Nuts: Chopped Walnut or pecan nuts, macadamia nuts, etc.
- Chocolate Chips: This is optional, but you can add dark chocolate chips to these cookies to add a little chocolate.
- Oatmeal: You can add a small handful of oatmeal to your recipe.
- Cinnamon: Optional ground cinnamon goes great with banana.
⚠️ You will find the ingredients and instructions in the recipe card further down this page.
How to make banana bread cookies
1 - Mash the banana
- Start by mashing the banana with a fork in a bowl or plate.
- Then set aside.
Tip: If you don't have ripe bananas then heat them up a bit in the oven or microwave to soften them and make them easier to mash.
2 - Creaming the butter
- Place softened butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar (in this case, light brown sugar) in a large bowl.
- Beat with a hand whisk or hand mixer for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
Tip: Stir until the sugar begins to dissolve and the mixture is creamy and pale.
3 - Stir in the eggs and banana
- Add the mashed banana, vanilla extract and egg.
- And mix again with an electric mixer for a good minute to incorporate them well.
Tip: The cookie dough seems a bit grainy but don't panic, this is normal.
4 - Incorporate the dry ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Then add the chopped walnuts and mix this time with a spatula gently to incorporate them just enough to have homogeneous cookie dough.
Tip: Add dark chocolate chips or chopped baking chocolate for even tastier cookies.
5 - Baking
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper/
- Form small balls of dough with your hands or use an ice cream scoop and place them on the cookie sheet covered with parchment paper (be sure to space them at least 2 inches apart as they will spread out during baking).
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the diameter, until the cookies are puffy and golden on top.
- Remove the banana cookies from the oven and let them cool a bit on the baking sheet before moving them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Tip: Banana cookies are ready when they are golden brown and still soft in the center. As they cool they will firm up.
Storage and freezing
Room temperature: Store your banana bread cookies in an airtight container with a lid and keep for about 1 week.
Freezing: Or when they are well cooled, put your banana bread cookies in storage bags and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Defrost: Let them come back to room temperature or heat them up a bit by using the defrost function of your microwave.
More banana/walnut recipes
- Moist banana bread recipe
- Chocolate chip banana bread
- Double chocolate banana bread
- Chocolate banana muffins
- Banana walnut bread
- Walnut brownies
More cookie recipes
- Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- Chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Safe to eat edible cookie dough
- S'more cookies with chocolate chip cookie
- Vegan chocolate chip cookies
- Brookies recipe
- Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies
- Biscoff butter cookies
- Easter egg cookies
- Salted caramel cookies
- M&M's Cookies
- Breakfast cookies
- Brownies crinkle cookies
- Skillet chocolate chip cookies
- Brown butter sugar cookies
- White chocolate cranberry cookies
- Sea salt Chocolate chip cookies
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print
Banana Bread Cookies
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 12 cookies
Recipe for soft banana bread cookies with chopped walnuts (for 12-14 cookies)
- 80 g ( ½ stick + 2tbsp or ⅓ cup) Butter - softened
- 70 g (⅓ cup)Sugar - granulated
- 50 g (¼ cup) Brown light sugar
- 1 egg - room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 banana - about 100 g
- 220g ( 1 ½ cup) Flour - all purpose
- 1 tsp Baking soda - or baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon - ground
- 85 g (¾ cup) Walnut - chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and prepare a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- In a bowl or plate mash the banana with a fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the softened butter with the granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat with a whisk or electric mixer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the egg, vanilla and mashed banana and whisk again.
- Finish by adding the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, pinch of salt, ground cinnamon (optional) and crushed nuts.
- Mix with a flexible spatula or wooden spoon until the cookie batter is smooth and a little sticky.
- Form balls of dough with a spoon or ice cream scoop and place them on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes until the cookies are golden brown and puffy.
- Allow cookies to cool slightly before moving them to a cake rack to cool completely.
Storage: Approximately 1 week at room temperature in a covered storage box and up to 3 months in the freezer.
Option: You can add chocolate chips to the recipe when you add the nuts.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: cookies, desserts
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana cookies, banana bread cookies, banana nut cookies
Leave a Reply