How to make the best and most moist chocolate chip banana bread ever! This recipe is so easy to make and absolutely delicious for all banana bread recipes lovers. All the joy of soft, moist banana bread with lots of chocolate chips inside.
Best Banana Bread recipe
Yes, some people still don't know this fabulous banana bread recipe! In fact, this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is simply the version of my best banana bread recipe, but with more flavor and a dose of chocolate as well.
The texture of the banana bread is just amazing, so moist and soft just what you'd expect from a banana bread with the added bonus of those crunchy semi sweet chocolate chips that add even more pleasure and flavor to the mouth.
Like my double chocolate banana bread recipe, it's impossible to resist a second slice of this banana chocolate chip bread because it's so delicious. The added banana in the cakes makes them so much softer and moister and adds a delicious banana flavor.
We don't even have to say that banana recipes are cheap anymore, or find an excuse to make them because we have too ripe bananas at home. love
The Banana bread recipe has clearly become a recipe in its own right that we like to prepare in all seasons. And if you are not yet sure, you can take advantage of the overripe bananas that nobody wants to eat to try this recipe.
Why choose this banana bread
Here are a few reasons why you shouldn't resist this favorite banana bread recipe, it's so incredible and ingenious! And certainly, you will not be the only one to crave it in your family, this cake is perfect for all occasions, you can eat it for breakfast or for special occasions.
- On bowl chocolate chip banana cake! Even kids can make it and it's a good opportunity for them to get their hands in the kitchen. It requires only one mixing bowl and it's a super easy and fast recipe.
- Perfect texture! With a perfect texture moist and soft at the same time, this cake remains light and full of flavor.
- Useful recipe! Perfect for the too-ripe bananas that nobody wants to eat, it is a good opportunity to reuse them rather than throw them.
- Chocolate chips! They give an extra crunchy and chocolatey texture that we can only love in this cake.
Ingredients and substitutions
But before we get into the preparation of the recipe let's see the ingredients and possible substitutions to make my favorite and only banana bread recipe. Scroll down to see the quantity in the recipe card.
- Bananas: Main ingredient this recipe requires only 2 mashed bananas and it is not necessary that they are super ripe but avoid using unripe bananas. Ripen bananas bring a delicious flavor to this cake, in addition to naturally sweetening it and contributing to its moist and soft texture.
- Butter: In addition to the fat added by the banana and buttermilk, I add a little fat with unsalted butter to balance the recipe and get moist bread. I don't advise using melted butter, but rather well-softened butter.
- Sugar: Use the sugar of your choice, you can make a mixture of granulated sugar and brown sugar like dark brown sugar or light brown sugar which brings an extra flavor. Since the banana already sweetens the cake a lot, the sugar has been reduced a bit in this recipe.
- Eggs: Use eggs at room temperature to obtain a homogeneous batter.
- Buttermilk: Its high acidity content helps balance the taste and adds softness and lightness to the cake. Buttermilk can be replaced by milk, sour cream or plain yogurt like Greek yogurt.
- Flour: all-purpose flour, which can be easily replaced by gluten-free flour like oat flour, rice flour or even a whole wheat flour.
- Baking soda: Baking soda helps the cake to rise during baking and gives a soft texture to the cake. If you use baking powder, you will need to increase the amount a bit.
- Salt: Add a small pinch of salt which is a flavor booster that brings out all the flavors in this banana cake.
- Vanilla extract: Use pure liquid vanilla extract in this recipe, it adds an extra delicate flavor.
- Chocolate chips: You can add semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips or make chunks with baking chocolate. You can also try my homemade chocolate chip recipe.
Material: Loaf pan, 10 inch / 25 cm long, Cake release spray practical to grease the loaf pan and a perfect release but you can also use parchment paper.
You will find all the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this page.
How to make the best chocolate chip banana bread
1 - Mash the banana
- Cut bananas into slices and place in a medium bowl.
- Using a potato masher or fork, crush the bananas until they are not completely smooth.
Tip: If you use bananas that are not yet very ripe, you can ripen them by placing them in the oven for a few minutes or warm them up a bit in the microwave and they will be easier to mash.
2 - Cream butter and sugar
- In a large bowl place the softened butter with the white and brown sugar.
- Mix with an electric mixer at medium speed for about 2 to 3 minutes until creamy and smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix again with an electric mixer for 1 minute to incorporate.
- Finish by adding the mashed banana and the buttermilk and mix again to incorporate them.
Tip: Use an electric mixer or your stand mixer to make the blend and get a smooth, homogenous texture.
3 - Add dry ingredients
- Add dry ingredients, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Then add the ¾ of chocolate chips.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula to incorporate the dry ingredients into the mixture and blend until smooth and still a little thick.
Tip: Be careful not to mix too long, nor use the electric mixer after adding the dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and grease a 9 -10 inch / 25 cm loaf pan with butter or line it with baking paper.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spoon or spatula.
- Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top and bake for 50- 60 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely in the loaf pan before removing the banana bread from the pan.
- Cut the banana bread into slices and enjoy!
Tip: Check the cake for doneness with toothpick inserted into the center and it should come out clean.
Storage and freeze instructions
To keep this homemade banana bread recipe moist, cover it with plastic wrap or in an airtight container and place it in the fridge or at room temperature. And you can keep it for up to 3 to 5 days.
In the freezer
You can freeze banana bread is easy, cut it into slices and place them in conservation bags, you can then keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it defrost gently at room temperature or use the defrost function of your microwave to go faster.
5 secrets to making a super moist banana bread
Some useful information to succeed in the recipe of this best banana bread recipe with a perfectly soft and moist texture.
- Use overripe bananas: Use bananas, not necessarily very ripe bananas or completely black ones. Ripe bananas are much sweeter and have an even softer texture and are easier to reduce to a puree. (Tip: If you don't have ripe bananas you can put them in the oven at 302°F for a few minutes to soften them or microwave them)
- Room temperature ingredients: For a smooth texture use room temperature ingredients, they will mix better together and your batter will be perfect.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is a wonderful ingredient in many cake recipes, such as muffins, cupcakes, and layer cakes, and it is even more so here in the banana cake. It helps to balance the taste with its acidity and allows for a light and well-soft texture. (Tips: Replace the buttermilk with Greek yogurt.)
- Do not over mix: Avoid over-mixing after adding the flour to keep the texture soft and moist.
- Pay attention to the baking process: Perfect baking will also contribute to the success of your cake. If it is overcooked, it will be too dry in the mouth. To keep its softness and moisture, you will have to pay attention to the cooking time, depending on the power of your oven, and also check the baking with a toothpick that you will stick in the cake's center and that will help you know if the center is cooked enough.
More banana recipes
- Healthy banana oatmeal muffins
- Chocolate banana muffins
- Banana bread muffins
- Banana bread cookies
- Walnut banana bread
More bread recipes
- Lemon pound cake with lemon glaze
- Lemon poppy seed pound cake
- Pear and chocolate loaf cake
- Pumpkin bread with streusel topping
- Chocolate chip bundt cake
- Lemon bundt cake
- Pumpkin bread with streusel topping
- Carrot bread with cream cheese icing
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print
Chocolate chip banana bread
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices
Recipe for moist chocolate chip bread with banana. For a 10 inch / 25 cm loaf pan (about 10-12 slices)
- 115 g (1 stick = ½ cup) Butter - softened
- 100 g (½ cup) Sugar - granulated
- 50 g (⅓ cup) Brown sugar
- 2 Eggs - room temperature
- 1 tsp. liquid vanilla extract
- 120 ml (½ cup) Buttermilk - or 1 plain yogurt
- 3 ripe bananas - about 360 g
- 195 g (1 ½ cups)Flour - all purpose
- 1 tsp baking soda or instead baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 140 g (¾ cup) Chocolate chips - semi-sweet
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and grease or line a 9 - 10 inch / 25 cm long loaf pan.
- Place the banana chunks in a small bowl and mash them with a fork.
- In a large bowl, place the softened butter with the white sugar and brown sugar and mix with an electric mixer for about 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix again with an electric mixer for 1 minute to incorporate.
- Then add the mashed bananas and mix for a few moments.
- Finish by adding the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda (or baking powder), pinch of salt and ¾ of the chocolate chips and mix with a soft spatula or a wooden spoon to incorporate them and until you get a homogeneous paste.
- Pour the mixture into the lined loaf pan and pour the remaining chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Bake for about 50-55 minutes until golden brown on top. Check for doneness with a knife blade or toothpick by dipping it into the cake, it should come out clean or with some crumbs.
- Let the cake cool completely in the loaf pan before removing it from the pan and serving.
Storage: For about 5 days at room temperature in a storage box with a lid and protected from humidity. You can also keep it in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
In the freezer: Put it in a storage box and keep it for up to 3 months in the freezer.
You can replace the buttermilk with plain yogurt, sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: bread, dessert, cake
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 146
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 46
Keywords: chocolate chip banana bread, banana bread, chocolate chip banana cake
Hello, great recipe, very good banana bread, beautiful!! and very easy to make! Thanks
Hello, thank you for your message
Waouh this banana bread is too delicious the bread is super soft and not at all dry in the mouth thank you very much for the recipe
Thank you very much for your feedback ❤️