How to make a delicious banana walnut bread recipe with a soft and incredibly moist and crunchy texture. This easy recipe is quick to make at home with only 3 ripe bananas, the perfect breakfast to go with your morning coffee or for your snacks during the day.
Moist Banana Nut Bread Recipe
Did you have some overripe bananas at home and no one wants to eat them? Then this is your chance to grab them and make this great recipe for banana walnut bread recipe.
If you love banana bread recipes then you must try this absolutely delicious recipe, a moist texture, not overly sweet and with those added walnuts that bring a tasty texture and that makes all the difference in this cake.
There are so many banana breads that you can't stop trying them out as there are so many different flavors to try, with peanut butter, oatmeal or even like here with chopped nuts.
The mashed banana added in sweet recipes is just amazing, it brings a soft and moist texture and not to forget its absolutely delicious flavor like in my best banana bread recipe.
But bananas are not only found in bread recipes, they can also be used in muffins like these banana bread muffins or in soft banana bread cookies.
But not only in breads, it can also be found in muffin recipes such as these banana bread muffins or in this version of banana nut cookies.
So don't throw away your overripe bananas, use them instead to make this quick and easy banana bread recipe with chopped walnuts and add some chocolate chips and you have a perfect meal to enjoy the whole family at breakfast or for a snack.
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are the ingredients and substitutions to make this moist banana bread recipe, all the quantities and complete instructions can be found in the recipe card at the end of the page that you can also print.
- Banana: use very ripe bananas here, if your bananas are not very ripe you can still make the recipe.
- Butter: soft, unsalted butter rather than semi-salted butter to control the amount of salt added and with a softened or melted and cooled texture.
- Sugar: a mixture of white sugar and flavored sugar such as brown sugar or cane sugar.
- Eggs: eggs at room temperature.
- Milk: preferably use buttermilk or half-skimmed milk or plain yogurt.
- Flour: All purpose wheat flour that you can replace with another flour such as bread flour, wholemeal flour or oat flour.
- Yeast: preferably baking soda or a packet of baking powder.
- Vanilla extract and salt: essential for flavoring and to bring out all the flavors.
- Nuts: chopped walnuts or if you have walnut allergy then you can replace them with almonds, hazelnuts, brazil nuts or pecans.
- Cinnamon: Add ground cinnamon spices as in the traditional banana bread recipe.
- Chocolate chips: for a more indulgent cake.
- Dried fruits: raisins, coconut, etc.
- Icing: Add a cream cheese icing to go with this banana bread.
⚠️You will find the quantities and instructions in the recipe card further down on this page.
How to make walnut banana bread
1 - Mash the bananas
- Place the chopped bananas in a medium bowl or large plate.
- And crush them with a fork or a mashed potato press until you get a puree with still some pieces.
Tip: If your bananas are not very ripe, you can put them in the microwave for a few moments to soften them a bit.
2 - Cream the butter and sugar
- In another large container, put the butter cut into pieces and softened with the granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Using an electric mixer, mix for at least 2 minutes until creamy and smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix again with an electric mixer for a good minute to incorporate them.
Tip: You can use an electric mixer or a stand mixer to make this recipe.
3 - Add dry ingredients
- Add the buttermilk and mashed bananas and mix again with an electric mixer.
- Finish with the flour mixture, flour, baking soda (or baking powder), salt and chopped nuts.
- Mix gently with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon until the mixture is well blended.
4 - Baking
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and line a 10 inch / 25 cm loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven at half height for about 45-55 minutes until the bread is puffed and golden brown on top.
- Let the banana nut bread cool slightly in the loaf pan before carefully removing from the cake pan and letting them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Then place it on a serving dish and cut into 10 slices and serve alone or with a topping.
Tip: Check for baking by putting a knife or toothpick inserted in the center, it should come out clean or with a few crumbs.
How to eat banana bread
Don't forget to pair your banana bread with one of these deliciously sweet toppings:
- Homemade chocolate nut spread.
- Homemade peanut butter
- Banana slices and salted caramel sauce
- Red fruit jam
- Cream cheese icing
- A dab of butter
Storage and freezing
At room temperature: This nutty banana bread can be stored at room temperature for 1 week covered with plastic wrap or placed in an air tight container box.
In the freezer: You can keep it up to 3 months in the freezer, sliced and placed in preservation bags.
Defrosting: Let it come back to room temperature or use the defrost function of your microwave.
More banana/walnuts recipes
More bread recipes
- Moist lemon pound cake
- Chocolate Hazelnut loaf Cake
- Lemon poppy seed cake
- Lemon bundt cake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin bread with streusel topping
- Chocolate pear cake
- Carrot bread with cream cheese icing
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print
Banana Walnut Bread
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices
Delicious banana walnut bread recipe, very soft and moist texture with chopped walnut (for a 10 inch / 25 cm loaf cake - 10 servings)
- 3 ripe Bananas - about 350 g
- 115 g (1 stick) Butter - softened
- 100 g (½ cup) Sugar - granulated
- 50 g (⅓ cup- Brown sugar
- 2 Eggs - room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 120 ml (½ cup) Buttermilk - or plain yogurt
- 200 g (1 ½ cup) Flour - all-purpose
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon ground - optional
- 100 g (1 cup) Chopped walnut - or pecan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and line a 10 inch/ 25 cm long rectangular loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash the chopped bananas in a bowl with a fork until you have a puree with a few pieces left.
- Place the softened butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer for at least 2 minutes until creamy and smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again for a good minute to incorporate.
- Then add the buttermilk and mashed bananas and mix again with the mixer.
- Finish with the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon ground and crushed nuts and gently fold in with a rubber spatula until you have a smooth cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes until golden brown on top. (Check for baking with a knife blade or toothpick dipped in the center, it should come out clean with no liquid batter)
- Let the banana nut cake cool in the pan before removing it from the pan and placing it in a large serving dish and cutting it into 10 pieces.
Conservation and freezing: 1 week at room temperature, placed in a conservation box or under a plastic wrap. And up to 3 months in the freezer.
You can replace the buttermilk with yogurt, sour cream or half-skimmed milk mixed with a tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: bread, cake,
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: walnut banana bread recipe, banana nut bread, banana walnut bread
Leave a Reply