It's impossible to resist this homemade treat, half brownies and half cookie layer, the brookies recipe is very easy to make and its incredibly fudgey texture will satisfy all the sweet tooths.
Half Brownies Half Cookies
But be careful not to get confused with the recipe for cookie bars which are simply cookies made like a brownie or the brownie cookie which are the opposite, a brownie batter baked like a cookie.
This combination is an explosion of flavor in your mouth, everything you love in one bite, a delicious fudgy brownie and the softness and chewiness of a homemade chocolate chip cookies dough.
This is the ultimate dessert for all cookie and brownie lovers at the same time, with this brookie recipe you will be sure to satisfy them completely.
Make brookies recipe for any occasion, it's easy and perfect for a snack or as a dessert served on a plate with vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Butter: use melted unsalted butter which you can substitute with salted butter but in this case remove the salt from the list of ingredients.
- Sugar: a mixture of white sugar and flavored sugar such as brown sugar, light brown sugar.
- Cocoa powder: unsweetened cocoa powder to flavor the chocolate brownie.
- Eggs: large eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla and salt: essential for flavoring and bringing out the flavors.
- Flour: All purpose flour.
- Chocolate chips: semi sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate , you can also melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or in a bain-marie with the butter.
Chocolate chip Cookie dough :
- Butter: I usually only use softened unsalted butter, but here the butter absolutely must be melted so that the cookie dough on top is easier to spread in the pan.
- Sugar: A mixture of white granulated sugar and dark brown sugar or light brown sugar.
- Egg : at room temperature, to make a dough without egg you can replace it by 2 tablespoons of vegetable milk.
- Vanilla and salt: liquid vanilla extract and sea salt.
- Flour: White all purpose flour, you can replace it with a wholemeal or gluten-free flour.
- Yeast: A mixture of baking soda and baking powder, if you don't have baking soda you can use only baking powder.
- Chocolate chips: You will need semi sweet chocolate chips or pieces of baking chocolate.
⚠️ You will find the complete recipe with quantity and instructions below in the recipe card at the end of this page.
How to make Brookies
1 - Make the Brownie
- Place the melted butter, cocoa powder, white granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix with an electric mixer or an hand whisk for a few moments to obtain a smooth texture.
- Then add eggs and vanilla extract into the chocolate mixture and beat until well combined.
- Finish by adding the dry ingredients, flour, salt and chocolate chips.
- Mix gently with a spatula until you have a smooth brownie batter.
Tip: Adding chocolate chips at the end of the preparation gives a more fudgy texture in the mouth.
- Pour brownie batter into a square pan with parchment paper.
- Smooth the surface of the brownie with a tablespoon or an angled spatula until the brownie pan is half full.
- Set aside while preparing the chocolate chip cookie dough.
Tip: You can add crushed nuts for a crunchy brownie like pecans or walnuts.
2 - Make the cookie batter
- Place the melted and cooled butter and sugars, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer or hand whisk until smooth.
- Then add egg and vanilla extract and mix again for a few moments to incorporate them.
- Add the flour, baking soda and baking powder and also add the chocolate chips.
- Using a spatula, gently mix to incorporate them until you have a soft cookie dough.
Tip: The cookie dough should be soft in texture, if it seems too firm, put it in the microwave on low power for a few moments before adding it to the pan.
- Then add the cookie dough to the pan just above the brownie layer.
- Gently spread it with the back of a tablespoon or an angled spatula until it completely covers the top of the brownie layer.
- Finish by sprinkling a few chocolate chips on top of the brookies.
Tip: You can also lightly mix the dough with the blade of a knife to give a marbled effect to the brookies as shown here and have an even more visually appealing dessert.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180°C) and bake the brookies halfway through for about 30 - 35 min until the cookie on top is golden.
- Check the baking with a toothpick inserted into the center of the brookies, it should come out with a few crumbs and not liquid batter.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the brookies cool completely in the pan before carefully removing from the pan.
- When completely cooled, cut the brookies into 16 small equal pieces with a large knife and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
Tip: Once the brookies are cooled, you can place them in the fridge for a few minutes to harden them and make cutting easier.
Storage and freezing
At room temperature: Store brookies at room temperature placed in a airtight container with a lid for approximately 5 days.
You can also keep it longer in the fridge, you will just have to warm it up slightly in the microwave to give it a melting texture.
In the freezer: Cut into small pieces and placed in conservation bags, you can keep your brookies up to 3 months in the freezer.
Defrosting: Gently bring brookies back to room temperature or use the defrost function on your microwave.
More brownie recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print