How to make the best double chocolate banana bread recipe super soft and super moist with lots of chocolate chips. This absolutely delicious recipe is so easy and delicious, that you will only use your ripe bananas to make this banana bread recipe.
Best Chocolate Banana Bread
This moist chocolate banana bread recipe is definitely the best version of banana bread ever, especially for all banana and chocolate lovers.
We already love so much this traditional banana bread recipe, even more when we add chocolate chips, but then this all-chocolate version is the best we could do in banana bread.
This moist banana bread is just insanely good and irresistible, with its tender texture and that banana flavor with a rich chocolate flavor brought by cocoa powder and extra dark chocolate chips on top.
Banana recipes are an ingenious recipe that allows you to recover the overripe bananas but you don't need to wait for them to ripen you can do it right now and I explain it all in the recipe card below.
This recipe is very easy and quick to make, just like my version of banana chocolate muffins, this cake is perfect for breakfast with a bit of peanut butter or almond butter, for snacking, and even for special occasions.
Ingredient and substitutions
- Banana: Use the right amount of bananas, preferably brown bananas, or if your bananas are not ripe enough then put them in the microwave or oven for a few moments to soften them a bit.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter that has been softened at room temperature or melted butter and cooled down a bit.
- Sugar: I only use granulated sugar in this recipe but you can make a mixture of white and brown sugar or light brown sugar.
- Eggs: At room temperature
- Buttermilk: The acidity of the buttermilk brings an ultra-soft texture to the cake, you can replace it with milk, greek yogurt, or sour cream.
- Flour: Wheat all-purpose flour or for a gluten-free version, use a gluten free flour like almond flour or oat flour.
- Cocoa powder: Use regular unsweetened cocoa powder or if you have it, dutch process cocoa powder.
- Raising agents: A combination of baking powder and baking soda, you can just use baking powder.
- Vanilla extract and Salt: Indispensable to enhance all the flavors.
- Chocolate chips: Use mini chocolate chips or chocolate chunks from a dark chocolate bar.
- Nuts: add pieces of pecan or chopped walnuts for a crunchy texture.
- Spices: Like cinnamon ground, which goes well with the flavor of bananas and chocolate.
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make moist chocolate banana bread
1 - Mash the bananas
- Place the chopped ripe bananas in a medium bowl.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, crush the bananas until you obtain a banana puree with a few pieces left.
Tip: If you use bananas that are not very ripe it's ok but you will have a bit of trouble mashing them, you can warm them up a bit in the microwave to soften them.
Tip: If you use frozen bananas, wait for them to completely thaw before mashing them.
2 - Cream the butter
- Then place the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer at medium speed for about 3 minutes to obtain a smooth mixture.
- Then add the eggs and vanilla and beat again for 1 minute to incorporate them.
Tip: Use an electric mixer for the first part of this chocolate banana bread recipe and mix the butter and sugar well for at least 3 minutes until the sugar begins to dissolve.
3 - Add mashed banana and dry ingredients
- Add the mashed bananas and the buttermilk to the mixture and incorporate them with the mixer.
- Finish by adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, flour, cocoa powder baking powder baking soda, and salt.
- Mix this time with a spatula until the mixture is smooth.
Tip: Do not use the mixer to mix in the dry ingredients to avoid over-mixing the mixture and keep the bread soft.
4 - Add the dark chocolate
- Then add half the chocolate chips to the batter.
- And mix gently with a rubber spatula to incorporate them.
Tip: If you don't have semisweet chocolate chips, don't remove them from the recipe. They are necessary, replace them with chocolate pieces instead.
5 - Baking
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 180°C and prepare a 10-inch loaf pan (25 cm) with parchment paper or grease with butter for easy unmoulding.
- Then pour batter into prepared pan, and sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top of the cake.
- Bake the chocolate banana bread in the oven for about 50 - 60 minutes until puffed up on top.
- Let the chocolate banana bread cool completely in the pan before removing from the pan and placing on a serving plate.
- Cut the chocolate cake into slices and serve slightly warm or cold.
Tip: Check the bread after 50 minutes with a toothpick inserted into the center, it should come out clean or with a few crumbs.
Storage & freeze
At room temperature:
This chocolate banana bread is very moist, it can be stored up to 3 - 4 days at room temperature in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out and to keep its soft texture.
But the best thing to do since it contains a lot of bananas is to keep it cold in a refrigerator covered with plastic wrap and you can keep it even longer, up to 1 week.
In the freezer:
Store your banana bread in the freezer for up to 3 months, cut it into pieces and place them in plastic storage bags or a storage box.
All you have to do is take out your banana bread slices and let them slowly come to room temperature.
More banana bread recipes
- Healthy banana oatmeal muffins
- Banana bread cookies
- Chocolate banane muffins
- Banana bread muffins
- Walnut banana bread
More bread recipes
- Moist banana bread recipe
- Chocolate chip banana bread
- Chocolate banana muffins
- Banana walnut bread
- Pumpkin bread with streusel topping
- Carrot bread with cream cheese icing
- Lemon bundt cake
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print
Double chocolate banana bread
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices
Super soft and moist double chocolate banana bread recipe with chocolate chips and cocoa powder (for a 10 inch loaf pan (25 cm))
- 115 g (1 stick) Butter unsalted and softened
- 120 g (⅔ cup) Sugar - granulated or brown sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 3 Bananas - ripe about 360g
- 120 g (½ cup) Buttermilk - or milk, sour cream, greek yogurt
- 180 g (1 ½ cups) Flour - all purpose
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 40 g (½ cup) Cocoa powder - unsweetened
- 140 g (¾ cup) Chocolate chips - semi-sweet
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and line a 10-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or grease with butter for easy removal from the pan.
- Place the chopped ripe bananas in a bowl and crush them with a fork until they are mashed.
- In a large bowl, place the softened butter with the sugar and mix with an electric mixer for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix again to incorporate.
- Then add the dry ingredients, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and ¾ of the chocolate chips
- Gently mix with a spatula until you have a smooth and homogeneous batter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan lined with parchment paper.
- Pour the remaining chocolate chips on top of the bread.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- After 50 minutes check the cooking with a toothpick inserted into the center until it comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan before removing it from the pan and cutting it into slices.
Storage: 5 days at room temperature, 1 week in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: muffins, cake, breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 20.8 g
- Sodium: 174.9 mg
- Fat: 12.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.7 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 52.7 mg
Keywords: Chocolate banane bread, double chocolate banana bread
Leave a Reply