This is the best recipe for super moist chocolate banana bread with chocolate chips. This bread is so easy to make if you have ripe bananas and even if they are unripe. This is the best banana bread recipe made with cocoa powder and chocolate chips that give it that soft and moist texture and is rich chocolate flavor.
Best chocolate banana bread with chocolate chips
If you already know the famous banana bread recipe or if you've already tried my great recipe for chocolate chip banana bread, then you won't be able to resist this double chocolate banana bread recipe made with cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
This chocolate banana bread is insanely good and irresistible. It has an incredibly soft and moist texture, just the opposite of an overly dry cake with all the good taste of banana flavor and rich in chocolate flavor.
Banana bread recipes are an ingenious recipe that allows you to recover the overripe bananas but you don't need to wait for them to ripen you can do it right now and I explain it all in the recipe card below.
This recipe is very easy and quick to make, just like my version of banana chocolate muffins, this cake is perfect for breakfast with a bit of peanut butter, for snacking and even for special occasions.
Ingredient to make this double chocolate banana bread
- Banana: Use the right amount of bananas, preferably ripe bananas, or if your bananas are not ripe enough then put them in the microwave or oven for a few moments to soften them a bit.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter that has been softened at room temperature or melted butter and cooled down a bit.
- Sugar: Use white powdered sugar or whole sugar such as brown sugar.
- Eggs: At room temperature
- Vanilla extract: To flavor the cake use pure liquid vanilla extract.
- Buttermilk: The acidity of the buttermilk brings an ultra soft texture to the cake, you can replace it by milk, greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Flour: Wheat all purpose flour or for a gluten-free version, rice or oat flour.
- Cocoa powder: Use regular unsweetened cocoa powder or if you have it, dutch process cocoa.
- Raising agents: A combination of baking powder and baking soda, you can just use baking powder.
- Salt: Essential to bring out all the flavors.
- Chocolate chips: Follow my recipe for homemade chocolate chips or use mini semi sweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate cut into pieces.
How to make chocolate banana bread
- Start by cutting the ripe bananas into pieces and placing them in a bowl or plate and mashing them with a fork until you get a banana puree.
- Then place the softened butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer at medium speed for about 3 minutes to obtain a smooth mixture.
- Then add the eggs and vanilla and beat again for 1 minute to incorporate them
Tip: Use an electric mixer for the first part of this chocolate banana bread recipe and mix the butter and sugar well for at least 3 minutes until the sugar begins to dissolve.
- Add the mashed bananas and the buttermilk to the mixture and incorporate them with the mixer.
- Finish by adding the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, flour, dutch process cocoa or regular unsweetened cocoa powder baking powder baking soda and salt.
- Mix this time with a spatula until the mixture is smooth.
Tip: Do not use the mixer to mix in the dry ingredients to avoid over-mixing the mixture and keep the cake soft.
- Finally add the chocolate chips to the mixture, incorporating only ¾ of the chocolate chips into the batter.
Tip: If you don't have semisweet chocolate chips, don't remove them from the recipe. They are necessary, replace them with chocolate pieces instead.
Baking the double chocolate banana bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. / 180°C and prepare a 10 inch loaf pan (25 cm) with parchment paper or grease with butter for easy unmoulding
- Then pour the chocolate banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- And pour the rest of the chocolate chips on top of the cake.
- Bake the chocolate banana bread in the oven for about 50 - 60 minutes.
- Do not remove immediately the banana bread from is pan, it is still fragile. Let it cool in the pan a little then place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
Tip: Check the bread after 50 minutes with a toothpick inserted into the center, it should come out clean or with a few crumbs.
Store & freeze chocolate banana bread
At room temperature:
Your chocolate banana bread will keep at room temperature for about 5 days in a storage box with a tight-fitting lid. Since it is made with a lot of banana and has a very moist texture it doesn't keep very long at room temperature, but you can place it in the fridge to keep it for up to 1 week.
In the freezer:
Place in a conservation box or in fresh bags you can keep it up to 3 months in the freezer.
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print