How to make a giant chocolate chip cookie, with a chewy heart and crispy edges with this easy and delicious recipe for an extra large cookie cake to share with your family and friends at any occasion with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This giant chocolate chip cookie shaped like a pizza cookie is simply my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe but in an extra large cookie cake version.
Very popular, this giant cookie recipe is very indulgent and generous, with everything you love about good chocolate chip cookies, a chewy soft center, and crunchy brown sugar-flavored edges.
Much easier to make than simple cookies, this recipe is also very quick to make because you don't need to shape several cookies but just a large cookie like a pizza or to bake like this skillet cookie recipe.
Made with the same ingredients as the chocolate chip cookie recipe, this giant cookie version is great because you can easily flavor it with anything you like, crushed oreo cookies, biscoff cookies, candy, sprinkles, and even add a Nutella heart.
Make this giant chocolate chip cookie for any occasion and especially for birthdays, with lots of treats kids and grown-ups won't resist this dessert with a scoop of ice cream.
>> See all the cookies recipes from the blog
Ingredients and substitutions
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make this delicious giant chocolate chip cookie cake at home, scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Butter: Use preferably softened unsalted butter, take it out in advance or warm it up a bit in the microwave, to use semi-salted butter remove the salt from the recipe.
- Sugar: A mixture of white granulated sugar and flavored sugar such as dark brown sugar, light brown sugar or other.
- Egg: A large egg at room temperature, take it out in advance or let it sit for a few minutes in a bowl of warm water.
- Flour: Use cake flour or even all-purpose flour, measure the ingredients with an electronic scale rather than a measuring cup to get the precise quantities.
- Cornstarch: Optional cornstarch gives the cookies a chewier texture.
- Yeast: A mixture of baking powder and baking soda, you can use a packet of baking powder directly.
- Chocolate chips: A must, mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or peanut butter chips.
- Vanilla and salt: Essential for flavoring, pure vanilla extract and fleur de sel (flaky sea salt) to bring out all the flavors.
- Nuts: chopped nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnut kernels or macadamia nuts.
- Fruit: Dried strawberries or raspberries, cranberries, coconut, etc.
- Flavors: Lemon, spices like cinnamon or gingerbread.
- Topping: Nutella spread, Biscoff spread, peanut butter etc.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make the Giant Cookie recipe
1- Cream butter and sugars
- Place softened unsalted butter in a large bowl with granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix again with an electric mixer to incorporate them and have a creamy mixture.
Tips: Use softened butter or melted butter but cooled to have a creamy mixture, also make the blends with an electric mixer preferably or your stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
2 - Add dry ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- Mix with a soft spatula or a wooden spoon until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Finish by adding the chocolate chips and mix again, just until incorporated.
Tip: If you can sift all the dry ingredients together beforehand you will have a very homogeneous flour mixture.
3 - Baking
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a lined pizza pan or baking pan.
- Roll out the cookie dough on the prepared pan to form a round large cookie about 9 inches/ 22 cm in diameter.
- Add extra chocolate chips to the top of the cookie and let stand for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator or 15 minutes in the freezer.
- Bake the giant chocolate chip cookie in the oven at half height for about 17-20 minutes until it is golden brown but still a little soft in the center, as it cools it will firm up.
- Remove the giant cookie from the oven and let it cool completely on the baking sheet before carefully moving it to a wire rack or a serving plate.
- Cut the giant cookie into 8 slices and serve on a plate with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Tip: You can use a tart ring to roll out the cookie dough into a round shape, but remove it before baking the chocolate chip cookie because it will puff up and you'll have trouble removing the ring.
Tip: You can also roll out the dough directly into a pizza pan to make a large pizza cookie or into a cake pan lined with parchment paper to make a thicker giant cookie cake.
How to serve this dessert
You can simply cut it into equal parts and enjoy it as a simple cookie or serve this jumbo cookie cake on a plate with one of these delicious topping combinations:
- Fresh fruit and whipped cream
- Salted caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream
- Caramelized pecans and ice cream
- Chocolate sauce and fresh berries
- Nutella topping and whipped cream
- With candy, smarties, m&m's or sugar sprinkles
Conservation and tips
At room temperature: Store your giant cookie at room temperature like regular cookies, in an airtight container for about 1 week.
You can slightly reheat it in the microwave to make it softer.
How to freeze? Before or after baking when well cooled, whole or cut into slices in conservation bags and for a period of 3 months.
Let it come back to room temperature or use the defrost function of your microwave directly.
Do I need to chill the cookie dough? Whether you use melted or softened butter, I recommend that you let the cookie dough chill in the fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes before baking.
It will spread less during the baking process and you will have a thicker, more flavorful cookie.
- Salted Caramel Cookies
- Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Vegan chocolate chip cookies
- Gluten free cookies
- S'more cookies
- M&M's cookies
- Healthy Breakfast cookies
- Edible Cookie dough
- Easter egg cookies
- Brownies cookies
- Brown butter sugar cookies
- Biscoff butter cookies
- Banana bread cookies
- White chocolate and cranberry cookies
- Peanut butter cookies
- Oreo chocolate chip cookies
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 8 slices
Recipe of the giant cookie like a pizza cookie, with a soft heart and crunchy edges (for a 10 inches / 25 cm cookie - about 8-10 slices)
- 115 g (1stick or ½ cup) Butter - unsalted and softened
- 70 g (⅔ cup) Powdered sugar
- 100 g (½ cup) Brown sugar
- 1 Egg - large at room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 200 g ( 1 ⅔ cups) Flour - Cake flour or All-purpose flour
- 10 g ( 1 ½ tbsp) Cornstarch -optional
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- 2 pinch Sea salt
- 150 g (1 cup) Chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C and prepare a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, place the softened butter with the powdered sugar and brown sugar and mix with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix again to incorporate.
- Then add the dry ingredients, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt and mix with a spatula or tablespoon until well incorporated.
- Finish with the chocolate chips and mix again just until you have smooth cookie dough.
- Spread the cookie dough on the baking sheet lined with baking paper (you can use a 8 -9 inches / 20-22 cm tart ring to form a circle or bake the dough directly in a cake pan).
- Add a few chocolate chips to the top and let the cookie sit in the fridge for 30 minutes or 15 minutes in the freezer.
- And bake the giant cookie for about 17-20 minutes until it is golden brown and still a little soft in the center, as it cools it will firm up.
- Let the giant chocolate chip cookie cool on the baking sheet before carefully moving it to a wire rack or serving dish.
- Cut the giant cookie with a large knife into 8-10 equal pieces and serve on a plate with a scoop of ice cream.
Storage: Up to 1 week in an airtight container and up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: giant cookies, cookie pizza, pizza cookie, giant chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip pizza cookie
Leave a Reply