The classic American Apple Pie recipe! Easy, flavorful with a crisp crust and a generous filling of tender, cinnamon-flavored apples. The perfect way to start the fall dessert season.
This fabulous recipe is for all apple dessert lovers! It is perfect with the cold weather because it is so comforting and full of flavor. And when it's the beginning of the apple season, it's a good time to make this easy recipe that will bring the whole family together in a family moment.
American Apple Pie
This very popular recipe is an American classic that is totally part of the US culture. But it is also a delicious apple dessert made all year round and especially at the Thanksgiving time.
A recipe that may seem intimidating but is still very simple and easy to make. It is made of only 2 preparations, a homemade crumb crust base made of all butter and very crispy. But it is especially the filling that makes it so tasteful, a mixture of semi-melted apples flavored with cinnamon spices.
Made and baked in an oven dish, assembled like the traditional pie recipes, which means that the crust is used to fully cover and decorated this dessert which encloses this generous and tasty apple filling.
Best apples for Apple Pie
There are several varieties of apples and some are more appropriate for homemade desserts and pies. The ones I use most often are the Royal Gala, the Pink lady or the Golden. They are generous and have a juicy flesh that softens easily and gives a perfect filling.
Remember to use seasonal apples, preferably those organic. Also it is strongly advised to remove the skin of the apples before making the filling.
Useful tools to make the apple pie from scratch
- Round baking dish or a pie pan 8 - 9 inch / 20 - 22 cm
- A rolling pin
- Pizza cutter : Very practical to cut the strips of dough and form the grid
What is this pie made of
Pie crust :
- Flour : An all purpose flour is perfect to make the pie dough, measure the quantities well with an electronic scale.
- Butter : Unsalted butter cut into pieces and cold or iced, leave it in the fridge until the last moment or place it in the freezer for a few minutes before preparing the dough. This will give an ultra crispy effect, a bit like a puff pastry.
- Sugar : A granulated sugar
- Water : As for the butter, the water must be very cold, even icy.
- Salt : A very small pinch only.
Apple filling :
- Apples : Royal Gala or granny smith without the skin and cut in pieces not too small.
- Sugar : You can use brown sugar, granulated sugar or cane sugar to sweeten the apple filling.
- Lemon : half a lemon juice to help preserve the filling.
- Cinnamon : to flavor the filling and cinnamon ground goes very well with apples.
- Vanilla : liquid or powdered vanilla extract to flavor the filling.
How to make American Apple Pie
Make the Pie filling
First, make the apple cinnamon filling. This is the part that takes the least amount of time as the apples need to soften over a slow heat. They should have a melted texture but be careful not to overcook them or you'll end up with a sauce.
- Start by removing the skin and cutting your apples into medium sized pieces. I cut them in half and then slice them into thick slices to get large pieces.
- Then place them in a medium saucepan with the other ingredients, water, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Heat the pan over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- The filling will be ready when the apples are melted and you can easily insert the tip of a knife.
- Allow the apple filling to cool completely before using it in the pie.
Make the crust
This dough recipe is very easy and quick to prepare and the advantage is that you can use it immediately. It doesn't need time to chill because it is made of cold butter and water. It is also necessary to work the dough quickly because the heat of the hands can soften the butter.If the weather is hot at your place, don't hesitate to put the dough in the fridge for a few minutes to make it easier to handle.
Also, the optimal way is to use a food processor to make the dough to avoid heating up the ingredients. But it is also possible to make the dough with your hands.
- Combine the dry ingredients, flour, granulated sugar and salt and place in the bowl of your food processor.
- Add the chopped butter and mix on high speed for about 1 minute until you have a powdered mixture with tiny bits of butter still visible.
- Add the ice water and mix again for 1 minute until the dough forms a ball and you can still see the butter pieces.
Fill the pie dish
- First, divide the dough into 2 equal pieces to make 2 discs that will be used for the bottom of the pie and the other for the top crust.
- Roll out the 2 pieces of dough with a rolling pin on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of about 4 - 5 mm.
- Keep one disk of dough in the refrigerator while preparing the base.
- Place the first disk of rolled out dough inside your pie dish. It should completely cover your mold and overhang or fall down to cover it completely.
- Top the inside with the apple pie filling, which should fill the pan at least ¾ of the way to a good thickness.
- Then take out the second piece of dough and you can decorate using my lattice method below or to go faster just cover the pie and decorate the edges using a decorative cookie cutter like small leaves for example.
Make a lattice Pie crust
- With the second bottom crust, cut out long strips of dough using a pizza cutter.
- Place each strip of dough on your pie plate all in the same direction horizontally.
- Then, starting from the middle, lift up every other strip of dough (see photo) and place a new strip of dough vertically and then fold the strips over.
- Repeat this step until you have a nice lattice on the right side and then do the same for the left side.
- Trim the edges of the dough until the edges of the pie dish are visible.
- You can pinch the edges of the dough to form a nice border on your pie.
- Place your pie in the freezer for 20 - 30 minutes before baking
How to bake a pie
- Preheat the oven to a high temperature of 392°F / 200°C.
- Prepare the gilding by mixing an egg with a little milk in a container.
- Using a pastry brush, apply a layer of gilding on the whole pie.
- Then sprinkle the top of the pie with a little cane sugar.
- Take the pie out of the freezer and place it in the preheated oven on a baking sheet at half height.
- Then lower the oven temperature to 350°F / 180°C and let the pie bake for about 30 - 45 minutes. The apple pie is ready when the dough has a golden brown.
- Let the pie cool completely at room temperature before covering with plastic wrap and placing in the refrigerator.
- Take it out 30 minutes before serving so that it comes to room temperature.
How to serve the Apple Pie
This dessert is usually eaten a little warm or at room temperature and with a creamy topping to sweeten it like:
- A scoop of vanilla ice cream
- A custard
- Whipped cream
- Salted caramel sauce
If you like cinnamon recipes
You will also like this recipes:
I love to see your achievements 😉 So feel free to share your photos with me and tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my Apple Pie recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
- 250 g Flour
- 200 g butter - cold
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 tbsp water - cold
Apple cinamon filling
- 4 Apple
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- ½ lemon - squeezed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract - liquid or powdered
Make the apple filling
- Peel the apples and cut them into pieces.
- In a saucepan over low heat, place the sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon powder.
- Then add the apple pieces and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Leave on the heat for 5-10 minutes, the apples will soften slightly.
- If the mixture seems too liquid, add a tablespoon of flour, or remove the juice.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely
Make the pie crust
- Place all the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, salt in the bowl of your food processor
- Add the cold butter cut into pieces and mix for about 1 minute until you have a powdered mixture with small pieces of butter
- Add the very cold water and mix again until the mixture forms a dough ball.
Assembly the apple pie
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces and roll them out on a lightly floured work surface to obtain 2 large discs of dough about 5 mm thick.
- Reserve a disk in the refrigerator for the preparation of the pie.
- Fill the inside with the apple mixture, which should completely fill the dish.
- Take out the second disc of dough and cut it into strips with a pizza cutter
- Place the strips on the top of the pie dish and form a lattice of dough
- Trim any excess dough edges with a knife and form a pretty border.
- Place the pie in the refrigerator or freezer for about 20 - 30 minutes before baking.
Baking the Apple pie
- Preheat the oven to 392°F / 200 °C and prepare a baking sheet.
- Apply a layer of gilding with a brush on the top of the pie by mixing in a small bowl an egg with 1 tablespoon of milk
- Take the pie out of the refrigerator and bake it in the oven at 350°F / 180°C for 30 - 45 minutes
- The pie is ready when it has a nice golden color.
- Let the pie cool completely before covering and placing in the refrigerator.