How to make this walnut pie recipe with it's incredible toasted walnut flavor as good as in my walnut brownies or in this banana walnut bread. We can't resist its crispy pie crust and a walnut filling flavored with maple syrup that gives it that crunchy and very flavorful taste.
Walnut pie is one of those delicious American dessert recipes that is very popular in the fall season with its pretty orange colors.
This maple walnut pie is very similar to the pecan pie but made here with crushed or chopped walnuts, giving it a crunchy texture in the mouth.
And like pecan pie recipe it also has that delicious flavor enhanced by a mixture of maple syrup and honey that replaces the common corn syrup used in nut pies.
The walnut pie is also made of a pie crust, which has a crispy and buttery texture that reminds a bit of puff pastry and goes perfectly with this walnut filling.
This dessert is a real delight and it is very easy to make for any occasion, it is usually served on a plate with a whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for more deliciousness.
Ingredients and substitutions
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make this toasted walnut pie at home, scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card.
For the bottom crust, I used a pie crust recipe like the traditional recipe. It's a dough that is quite similar to shortcrust pastry but with a crispier texture.
You can also make this pie recipe with other pie crusts such as shortcrust pastry or a simple sweet shortcrust pastry. The pie dough is usually made in a food processor but here I use a simple hand-preparation method.
- Nuts: Walnut kernels, black walnuts that you can replace with other dried fruits such as pecans, almonds or hazelnuts.
- Butter: unsalted butter at room temperature.
- Eggs: Room temperature.
- Brown sugar: A flavored granulated sugar like brown sugar, cane sugar or coconut sugar.
- Corn syrup: You can replace it with honey, maple syrup, molasses, or agave syrup. For a creamier, less sweet pie, you can use heavy cream or sour cream instead.
- Flour: or cornstarch.
- Vanilla and salt: Essential to bring out all the flavors.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make homemade walnut pie recipe
1 - Pie crust
- In a medium bowl, place the dry ingredients, flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the cold butter cut into pieces and mix with your fingertips until you obtain a sandy preparation with still some pieces of butter.
- Add the cold water and gather the dough until it forms a ball of dough not very homogeneous.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin between 2 sheets of parchment paper or on a floured work surface to a thickness of 3-4 mm.
- Line a 9 inch / 22 cm pie pan with the dough and trim the excess dough from the edges.
- Prick the bottom of the pie with a fork and place back in the freezer while preparing the walnut mixture.
Tip: You can replace the pie crust with shortcrust pastry or a sweet shortcrust pastry. The dough can also be made 1 to 2 day ahead of time, it will have time to chill and will be easier to handle.
2 - Pie filling
- In a large bowl, place the diced butter and brown sugar.
- Mix with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix again with an electric mixer to incorporate them.
Tip: But first don't forget to toast walnuts in the oven at 300°F / 150°C for 10 minutes to get a more flavorful roasted flavor.
- Add the other ingredients, corn syrup (or honey and maple syrup), flour, salt and crushed walnuts.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula until you obtain a homogeneous batter.
Tip: You can easily replace the walnut kernels with pecans, almonds or hazelnuts or make a mixture of several nuts.
3 - Baking
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and pour the filling into the prepared pan.
- Bake the walnut pie in the oven at half-height for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and let the pie cool completely to room temperature before removing from the pan and setting on a large serving plate.
- Serve the walnut pie warm or cold with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel.
Conservation and freezing
It can be stored in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap or in a storage box for 3-4 days.
You can also freeze this walnut pie, when completely cooled, covered with plastic wrap in the freezer for 3 months. Let it slowly defrost to the fridge.
More Pie recipe
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print