Make your own pumpkin spice latte at home with all the original Starbucks coffee flavor but in a healthier version with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, real pumpkin puree, and natural sugar.
>> Pair your latte with one of my chocolate chip cappuccino muffins with coffee glaze.
Calling all coffee enthusiasts to enjoy a healthy homemade pumpkin spice latte that officially opens the autumn season and gets you ready for winter.
What is PSL?
For those who are new to PSL (pumpkin spice latte), it is a spicy latte made from pumpkin or other squash puree mixed with homemade pumpkin pie spice mix such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves and served hot with a strong brewed coffee and milk.
The pumpkin spice latte also contains a shot of strong espresso perfect for getting your caffeine fix and can also be made into an iced pumpkin spice latte perfect for chilling out on a hot day.
Why you'll love this recipe?
- A healthier pumpkin spice latte recipe for a guilt-free treat: no refined sugar (maple syrup), unsweetened almond milk, homemade pumpkin purée and all low in calories.
- Super-easy to make at home, and you can make as much as you like with my refrigerated mix.
- Much cheaper than the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte version, with its unnatural composition, and is often prepared with pumpkin syrups and far too much sugar.
More Healthy Latte Recipes
Ingredients you need for this recipe
- Squash: Preferably homemade pumpkin puree, you can also use frozen pumpkin or canned pumpkin puree with no sugar, no canned pumpkin pie filling, which usually contains lot of sugar.
- Spices: A mixture of pumpkin spice made up of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and 4 seasons spices.
- Sugar: For this healthy version I use maple syrup which you can replace with honey or other unrefined sugar like coconut sugar or or agave syrup.
- Vanilla: Perfect for flavoring the latte, use pure vanilla extract.
- Coffee: preferably a strong espresso made with coffee beans or brewed filter coffee, you can also make this latte with a cold brew. I use my espresso machine most of the time, so take very strong coffee so you can feel it in the beverage, which is quite diluted with milk.
- Milk: A neutral non-dairy milk like my homemade almond milk recipe or oat milk, soy milk, or coconut milk. (If you prefer to use dairy milk then take the 2% fat).
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card further down this page.
How to Make Low-Calorie Healthier Pumpkin Spice Latte
Pumpkin spice puree
- Place the mashed squash in a bowl with the spice mixture, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Stir with a teaspoon until smooth.
Tip: You can blend the pumpkin spice syrup mixture with a blender for a smoother preparation.
- Add brewed black coffee or made with an espresso machine into the pumpkin mixture.
- Blend until you have a liquid mixture.
Tip: You can make the pumpkin spice sauce in large batches and store it in a jar with a lid in the fridge so you always have some on hand.
Make the pumpkin spiced milk
- Pour the pumpkin spice mixture into a large mug or tall glass.
- Then add the hot almond milk to the pumpkin spice coffee.
- Stir with a tablespoon to make a smooth drink.
- Add a little homemade whipped cream on top of the pumpkin spice latte, sprinkle a little ground cinnamon and serve hot with a few cookies.
Tip: Froth the milk for a creamy drink by using an electric milk frother or the steam nozzle of your coffee machine.
Recipe Variations and Tips
Mocha Pumpkin spice latte: Simply add unsweetened cocoa powder to your drink like in my Iced Mocha latte.
Col or Iced pumpkin spice latte: Serve simply with cold ingredients or add ice cubes to make an icy version.
Vegan option: To make a vegan pumpkin spice latte keep the dairy-free milk, maple syrup no honey, and use coconut cream to make the whipped topping.
Storage: Pumpkin spice sauce can be stored in the fridge for around 2 days if you want to make a large batch for your morning coffee drinks.
More Pumpkin recipes
You will also love
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print