Enjoy a delightful fall infusion in this recipe for a homemade pumpkin chai latte. A warm drink blending the flavor of fresh pumpkin and chai spices in a creamy, comforting latte.
>> Pair your latte with one of my chocolate chip cappuccino muffins with coffee glaze.
Why you love this recipe
The pumpkin spice Chai Latte recipe is the perfect drink for both chai lovers and pumpkin lovers. It's a variation on the well-known pumpkin spice latte recipe that takes you straight into the autumn season.
Pumpkin chai lattes are so easy to make at home and far more nutritious than the Starbucks pumpkin chai latte. This version is even healthier, as it's made with real pumpkin puree, a perfect balance of warm spices, unsweetened almond milk and pure maple syrup.
What you need to keep from this recipe:
- A recipe that's easy to make at home, and much better nutritionally than the ones you find in a local coffee shop.
- Made with fresh, quality ingredients such as fresh pumpkin puree, no commercial syrup and natural sugar.
- The Perfect balance of sweet and spicy pumpkin flavors that instantly transport you to the heart of autumn.
- Perfect fall drink with a super-creamy and comforting hot drink to be enjoyed at any time of day, for breakfast or during coffee hour.
If you love Latte Recipes
*You'll find the quantities and detailed instructions for making this homemade pumpkin spice chai latte in the recipe card at the end of the page.
Homemade chai syrup (chai concentrate)
- Black tea: Black chai tea bags or use black loose tea.
- Spices: Fresh or ground spices, a mix of cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cardamom pods, add optional fresh ginger, star anise and a pinch of black pepper for extra flavor (you can also use a blend of masala chai spices directly).
- Sugar: Flavored sugar such as brown sugar, or natural sugar such as maple syrup, which can be replaced by honey, agave syrup or coconut sugar.
- Vanilla: Optional for flavoring use pure vanilla extract.
Pumpkin sauce mixture
- Pumpkin: homemade pumpkin purée if possible and perfect to make it any time of year. Or use frozen pumpkin or canned pumpkin with no added sugars. Don't use pumpkin pie filling which often contains lot of sugar. (Remember to blend the fresh pumpkin puree well, as it retains a slightly grainy texture that can be felt in the latte drink).
- Spices: A homemade pumpkin pie spice mix, a store-bought pumpkin spice blend or go straight for a 4-spice mix.
- Milk: I use my recipe for homemade unsweetened almond milk, but you can make this latte with the milk of choice, like 2 % dairy milk, whole milk, or a plant-based milk of your choice like coconut milk, soy milk or another dairy-free milk.
How to make Spiced Pumpkin Chai latte Recipe
Make the chai concentrate
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan, black tea bags, cardamom pods, cloves seeds, cinnamon sticks, maple syrup and vanilla extract. (for a more intense and flavorful chai flavor, add a pinch of black pepper, a slice of fresh ginger and some nutmeg)
- Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes without boiling the mixture, then infuse for 10 minutes off the heat.
- Strain through a sieve to remove tea bags and seeds.
Add pumpkin puree, spices and milk
- Return the homemade chai syrup to a medium saucepan and add the pumpkin puree and spices.
- Add almond milk (or the milk of choice) and stir with a tablespoon.
- Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes until sufficiently hot.
- Serve the pumpkin chai mixture in a mug.
- Enjoy your warm latte with whipped cream, and sprinkle with ground cinnamon for decoration.
How to make a small amount of whipped cream :
Place cold full-fat heavy cream in a small bowl and whip with a milk frother until thick and creamy.
In the fridge: Pumpkin spice chai tea latte can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days, then reheated in a saucepan or microwave. Homemade chai concentrate can be stored in a jar with a lid or in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Tips for this recipe
- Use quality ingredients, seasonal pumpkin or frozen pumpkin for extra flavor, a good milk of your choice neutral in taste, and a well-balanced blend of spices.
- Blend with a blender or an immersion blender if you're making homemade pumpkin puree to obtain a smooth, creamy drink.
- Leave the tea bag and spices to infuse for at least 5 minutes to extract maximum chai flavor, and take care not to boil them, as this may leave a bitter aftertaste.
Dirty Pumpkin chai latte: Black tea contains very little caffeine, so you can add a shot of espresso to your preparation for a stronger dose of caffeine and a coffee-like flavor.
Iced pumpkin chai latte: Serve cold pumpkin spice chai latte in a glass filled with ice cubes for an iced version like my iced pumpkin spice latte recipe.
Pumpkin spice mocha chai latte: Add a little unsweetened cocoa powder to the mix for a chocolatey version like in my iced mocha coffee recipe.
Add a pumpkin cream cold foam option: Mix a tablespoon of pumpkin puree in 2-3 tablespoons of milk with a pinch of spices and a little sugar to sweeten the flavor and blend in a blender or with a milk frother until you have a cold pumpkin foam.
You will also love
- Nutella coffee latte
- Old fashioned Pumpkin pie
- Pumpkin streusel bread
- Pumpkin streusel muffins
- Banana pumpkin muffins
Did you make this recipe?
Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print