How to make dalgona coffee recipe, a homemade whipped coffee made with only 3 ingredients and ready in 5 minutes. This whipped coffee is very easy and quick to make and tastes as good as in a coffee shop, to be enjoyed with hot milk or as an iced coffee
Why you'll love this recipe
The dalgona coffee recipe is a drink recipe that became very viral following a challenge launched tiktok coffee on social networks during the quarantine period of the Covid 19 pandemic in 2020.
This delicious drink is simply a beaten coffee made with instant coffee mixed with sugar and water. All these ingredients are whipped together to obtain a delicious sweet coffee foam to drink with hot milk.
This recipe from Korea would be named in reference to a treat, the dalgona candy that we discover in the Netflix series Squid Game and which would have a taste very similar to the recipe dalgona latte.
More latte recipes
If like me you love all coffee drinks, you will love making dalgona coffee, It's so delicious and this sweet coffee foam is perfect with whole milk or a plant-based milk like almond milk or oat milk.
It's an upgraded version of latte and after my latte macchiato recipe it's one of my favorite drinks. Especially in an cold coffee version served in a tall glass filled with few ice cubes, Dalgona iced coffee is perfect to refresh yourself this summer.
Ingredients et substitutions
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make a dalgona coffee at home, scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Coffee: Use instant coffee or you can also use instant espresso to make this drink.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is best, white sugar, brown sugar, whole sugar and even coconut sugar or stevia.
- Water: Preferably use hot water to dissolve the coffee and sugar but I have already tested with cold water and it works too.
- Milk: Serve the dalgona latte with hot dairy milk or cold milk or if you prefer a vegan milk drink like almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk.
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make a Dalgona latte
- Place all ingredients, instant coffee, sugar and boiling water in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the coffee mixture with a tablespoon until the coffee and sugar are dissolved and the mixture is homogeneous.
Tip: Let the coffee granules and sugar dissolve well into the boiling hot water to avoid having beans left in your coffee foam.
- Use an electric mixer and whisk the mixture at high speed for about 1 to 2 minutes until it is pale and shiny with stiff peaks like a meringue.
- Pour the frothy coffee over the hot milk or cold milk and enjoy.
- Add cocoa: For a dalgona mocha version, add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to the whipped coffee to give it a chocolatey flavor.
- Add spices: For a spicy whipped coffee, add a pinch of pumpkin spice blend, chai masala spice blend or simply cinnamon powder.
- Salted Caramel: Add a teaspoon of salted butter caramel to your coffee foam for a delicious flavor.
Frequently asked questions
The whipped coffee can only be made with instant coffee like Nescafe instant coffee powder, you can't use your regular coffee grind but only soluble coffee and you can also use decaffeinated coffee.
Preferably use granulated sugar, white sugar, brown sugar or coconut sugar.
Yes, you can replace instant coffee with instant chicory such as chicory root.
Yes it's possible but the sugar helps to stabilize the foam of the dalgona, without sugar the foam will not hold very long and it will quickly fall down.
Can I use a hand whisk to make whipped coffee?
You can try if you have arm strength, but I think you'll have a hard time with only a hand whisk and it might take a while. I found a simple method if you don't have an electric mixer or a milk frother on hand.
Place all ingredients in a small bottle with a cap and shake very vigorously for at least 2 minutes and you will have a nice coffee foam.
More drink recipes
- Iced vanilla coffee
- Iced chai latte
- Healthy pumpkin spice latte
- Homemade chocolate almond milk
- Matcha latte
- Tiramisu latte
- Nutella coffee latte
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print