How to make a latte macchiato recipe at home as good as the ones from the coffee shop. This delicious and creamy drink is made with steamed milk and a shot of espresso.
This latte macchiato is perfect to start the day at breakfast or at any time for a short coffee break.
Why you'll love this recipe
You've probably already heard of the latte macchiato without really knowing what it is. The latte macchiato is a traditional Italian drink made with steamed milk and espresso macchiato coffee.
The word latte means milk and the word macchiato means marked or stained to refer to the different visible layers of milk and coffee in this latte drink.
The latte macchiato is certainly one of the most popular drinks and the most served by baristas in coffee shops around the world.
Like the other caffe latte, this is a very comforting and delicious drink with a perfect taste for all coffee lovers with a good dose of sweetness brought by the creamy milk.
More Latte Recipes
Difference between macchiato and coffee latte
The latte macchiato is a similar drink prepared with the same ingredients as the cappuccino, but there are some differences, it is more like a café latte with a milder taste and more emphasis on milk.
The method of preparation is also very different from the coffee latte (coffee with milk) and this is what makes this drink so special.
The hot steamed milk is served first, then we add an espresso coffee and we finish with some milk foam which gives us a drink with 3 layers.
It is served hot in a large transparent glass for the pleasure of latte lovers. Or in an iced version like the iced caramel macchiato recipe from Starbuck coffee.
This recipe is usually made with dairy milk, but you can also use your favorite plant-based milk to make this perfect breakfast or 4pm break drink to enjoy with a cookie.
Ingredients for this recipe
Here are the ingredients and possible options to make a homemade latte macchiato, scroll down the page for the quantities in the recipe card.
- Espresso coffee: We usually use strong espresso coffee to make lattes, but if you don't have a coffee machine then just prepare your usual coffee.
- Milk: In coffee shops, lattes are made with 2 % milk, which can be replaced by plant-based milk with a fat content as close as possible.
- Sugar: optional, use the sugar you usually put in your coffee or a natural sugar like maple syrup or honey.
- Vanilla: optional as this is a drink with a lot of milk, vanilla adds extra flavor.
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make a latte macchiato
- Start by placing the milk in a saucepan with the vanilla and sugar and heat over medium heat, or use your microwave directly.
- Meanwhile, prepare your espresso coffee.
- When the milk is hot, remove it from the heat, then use your electric milk frother and stir for a good minute until the milk is frothy.
- Pour the frothed milk into your glass or mug.
- Then add the cup of espresso coffee.
- Finish by adding the remaining milk foam on top.
Tip: You need to froth the milk well before pouring it into the cup to avoid the coffee mixing too much with the milk, and to have the 3 layers.
- You can finish by sprinkling a little cocoa powder on top of your glass or add a drizzle of caramel or chocolate syrup.
- Enjoy warm with a cookie.
How to froth milk at home
Baristas in coffee shops like Starbucks are equipped with professional machines with a steam nozzle that makes a silky milk foam perfect for making cappuccino or latte art with those patterns drawn on the top.
Although today you can easily get one of these great expresso latte machines, but I give you the 3 most used methods to froth milk at home and at low cost:
1 - Milk Frother
This is the best option, the one I use to make dalgona coffee and other lattes. The electric milk frother is perfect for frothing milk quickly hot or cold. It's convenient, cordless and you can find it in any store for a small price.
2 - French press coffee maker
2nd clever option, divert your French press coffee maker to froth your milk, it's easy just place the milk and press until you get a nice foam.
3 - Electric whisk
Well if you don't have the first 2, you must have at least an electric mixer at home? A little more cumbersome but it will do the job 👍, a little whip, and hope you have a milk foam ready for your latte macchiato.
If you love iced drinks
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print