How to make your own homemade chocolate chips! This is a super easy and quick recipe. With only 1 ingredient "chocolate" and you'll never run out of chocolate chips for your cookies and dessert recipes.
You want to make chocolate chip cookies or chocolate chip muffins, but you have no more chips in your cupboard? Don't panic! Because you can make them yourself and it won't take you long.
Making homemade chocolate chips is quick and easy and most importantly you can have control over the composition and size of the chips and it's much more affordable than store bought.
In this article I explain how to make them and why it is always better to make them at home
These little chocolate chips are great in so many recipes like cookies, muffins, cakes and others homemade desserts recipes.
The store-bought ones are usually made with 54% cocoa semi-sweet dark chocolate. But it is quite possible to make this recipe also with milk chocolate and white chocolate
And with homemade you can also choose the quality of the chocolate, the percentage of cocoa or even with 100% cocoa chocolate without sugar perfect in a keto diet.
In addition to being able to control its composition, it will also cost you much less to make it yourself.
Also a last important point is that by making it yourself you can make even bigger chips for even more indulgent desserts!
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's easy and quick!
- It is much affordable than the commercial one !
- To control its composition! Quality chocolate, less sweet.
Useful tools to make this recipe
- Dark chocolate, the one of your choice, semi-sweet is better or for a sugar-free chocolate chips use unsweetened chocolate.
How to make homemade chocolate chips
- Break the dark chocolate into small pieces or chop it to melt faster.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave, avoiding overheating it. Stir regularly with a spatula until you have a smooth, liquid chocolate mixture.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a round 2 icing tip with melted chocolate or cut the end of the bag with scissors to make a very small opening.
- Poach the chips immediately on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Work quickly as the chocolate cools quickly.
- Let the chips cool at room temperature or if you are in a hurry place them in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Carefully peel the chocolate chips from the parchment paper.
- Place the chips in a glass storage jar with an airtight lid.
Storage and freeze
Store your chips at room temperature, as long as a chocolate bar. They should be placed in a container, such as a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Store in a cool place away from light.
They also keep very well in the freezer, place in a freezer bag up to 3 months.
Use a mold
For this recipe you have the choice between 2 methods to shape your chocolate chips. The simplest method is to use a pastry bag or invest in a mould to get nice pieces.
With a pastry bag
With or without a icing tip, you can obtain chocolate chips similar to the commercial ones in the shape of small drops. This is the simplest and most used method in recipes.
Use a size 2 round tip or simply cut the tip of the pastry bag with scissors. With practice you will be able to form nice little drops of the same diameter.
With a silicone mold
There are chocolate chips silicone molds with very small cavities, which are perfect and super convenient to make homemade chocolate chips. They come in many shapes and sizes and your chips will all have the same diameter.
To use simply fill each cavity with melted chocolate, smooth the top to remove excess chocolate and let cool completely at room temperature or in the fridge. To remove from the mold, simply press out the chips.
What to do with this recipe
- Baked cookies, perfect in homemade cookies and cookies.
- In homemade desserts, in verrines with ice cream etc.
- In cakes, sponge cakes, cake and muffins.
- In a snack, yogurt, cottage cheese etc.
Recipes with homemade chocolate chips
More basic chocolate recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print
How to make homemade chocolate chips
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 20 portions
Quick and easy recipe to make your own homemade chocolate chips (for about 200 g of chocolate chips - about 20 portions of 10g)
- 200 g Chocolate (semi-sweet, dark, milk or white chocolate)
- Start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then break the dark chocolate into small pieces and place in a container.
- Melt the dark chocolate either in a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring gently until the chocolate is liquid and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip or cut the tip with scissors.
- Poke small piles of the diameter of your choice to form the chocolate chips.
- Let cool completely at room temperature or in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Gently peel the chocolate chips from the parchment paper.
- Store in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: american
- Calories: 51
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 2
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 1
Keywords: chocolate chips, homemade chocolate chips, how to make chocolate chips
I'm making https://www.jayssweetnsourlife.com/chocolate-chip-cookie-cereal/#mv-creation-198-jtr
How can I make mini chocolate chips using this recipe?
Hi Judy, just make a tiny opening on your pastry bag and poach tiny chocolate chips the size you want.