How to make your own dark chocolate granola with this easy and delicious breakfast recipe made with oatmeal, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, maple syrup, nuts, seeds, and extra chocolate chips.
How to make your own chocolate granola at home with this easy, crunchy and very chocolatey recipe, perfect for all your chocolate cravings at breakfast or for snack time.
This dark chocolate granola recipe is simply my favorite healthy homemade granola recipe but in a rich chocolate version with a double dose of chocolate, dark chocolate and extra chocolate chips.
Homemade granola recipe is a good alternative to store-bought granola that are often too sweet and made with palm oil and non-natural ingredients.
Made with rolled oats, almonds, cocoa powder, honey, and coconut oil, this is my favorite healthy chocolate granola recipe to enjoy in a bowl of almond milk or Greek yogurt, the kids love it.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy and express granola recipe with simple ingredients to adapt to your taste for several breakfast days!
- Rich in fiber for a balanced and satiating breakfast.
- Tasty and rich in chocolate with a double dose of chocolate!
- Crunchy with big granola chips and lots of nuts.
Ingredients and substitutions
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible variations and substitutions to make a homemade chocolate granola recipe, scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Oatmeal: It is the main source of fiber, perfect for reducing morning cravings. Use old-fashioned rolled oats that you can substitute with other cereals like wheat, barley, or buckwheat flakes. Take them if possible organic and gluten-free if needed.
- Chocolate: Essential for a chocolate flavor, use dark baking chocolate chunks that will melt during baking or directly melted chocolate.
- Cocoa powder: Unsweetened cocoa powder, not breakfast cocoa powder.
- Sugar: Preferably a natural, liquid sweetener such as pure maple syrup, honey, agave syrup, or fruit puree such as apple sauce compote. You can also use brown sugar like coconut sugar but dilute it in a little water before incorporating it.
- Oil: A neutral and unrefined vegetable oil such as coconut oil, grape seed oil, canola oil or hazelnut oil, or avocado oil.
- Nuts and seeds: Source of omega 3, add chopped nuts and seeds to bring a delicious texture and flavor to granola recipes, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnut kernels, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds.
- Chocolate chips: Add at the end when the chocolate granola is completely cooled.
- Vanilla and Salt: add sea salt to bring out all the flavors and pure vanilla extract to flavor.
- Dried fruit: Raspberries, strawberries, shredded coconut or coconut flakes, dried grapes, etc.
- Nut butter: to replace the fat or part of it you can add peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter which brings an extra flavor.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make Healthy dark chocolate granola
- Preheat the oven to 302°F / 150°C and line a large baking sheet or a large rectangular dish with parchment paper. (like a casserole dish)
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl, oatmeal, unsweetened cocoa powder, chocolate cut into small pieces, or melted chocolate, chopped nuts and seeds.
- Add coconut oil, maple syrup sea salt and vanilla extract.
- Mix with a wooden spoon to coat the dry ingredients with the liquid ingredients until you obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet or rectangular dish and spread over the entire surface.
- Press the granola down to a small thickness to obtain a compact mixture and crunchy granola.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, stirring a little halfway through.
- Let the chocolate granola cool completely before touching or mixing.
- Add the dark chocolate chips to the cooled granola and mix again.
- Store granola in a large glass jar with a lid.
How to serve this recipe
This homemade granola is so good and crunchy that I eat it by itself but to make a good complete breakfast here are some suggestions:
- In a bowl of cottage cheese with fresh fruit, like strawberries or raspberries.
- With vanilla ice cream to add extra crunch.
- In a bowl of homemade almond milk
Storage and tips
How long does it last? Homemade chocolate granola can be stored for a very long time in a large glass jar or in an airtight container for several weeks at room temperature.
Make chocolate granola vegan: Use maple syrup instead of honey for a vegan version.
Is granola dark chocolate healthy? Due to its composition in natural ingredients, it can be classified in the healthy category.
More oatmeal recipes
- Overnight oats with almond milk
- Oatmeal porridge
- Homemade granola
- Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies dough truffles
- No bake energy balls
- Healthy oatmeal banana muffins
- Breakfast cookies
More breakfast recipes
- Hot cocoa mug cake
- Chocolate chip mug cake
- Green detox smoothie
- Banana walnut bread
- Pumpkin streusel muffins
- Banana bread muffins
- Strawberry chia pudding
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print