How to make your own chocolate granola! A super easy recipe, with oatmeal, cocoa powder, nuts, seeds and chocolate chips. A perfect breakfast, but also healthy with only natural and healthy ingredients.
Craving for a chocolatey breakfast with big crunchy oatmeal ? Crunchy, tasty nuts and extra chocolate chips? All this in a complete healthy breakfast with natural and healthy ingredients?
Of course, I don't need to tell you all the details about industrial granola, full of sugar and saturated fats. By preparing it yourself you have control by choosing quality ingredients and for a more interesting price!
Read my full article on "How to make your own healthy granola". The basic recipe that you can customize according to your tastes and the ingredients in your cupboards!
And now let's learn how to make it with chocolate!
The chocolate granola, a homemade recipe that will satisfy your small cravings for chocolate in the morning. In a bowl of milk or for your small snacks of the day. It is also perfect eaten with yogurt or cottage cheese.
Prepared with natural and healthy ingredients, it is the perfect breakfast to start the day!
- Oatmeal that you can replace with the cereal flakes of your choice that you can take organic and gluten free.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder for a rich chocolate flavor.
- Dark chocolate, which will help form large crunchy cereal chips
- Natural sugar, like honey or maple syrup.
- Dark chocolate chips, a supplement for chocolate lovers.
- Crunchy nuts and seeds, such as almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, chia seeds, sunflower seeds and squash seeds
Useful tools for making the chocolate granola
- Baking sheet (with depth to get the large cereal flakes).
- A large wooden spoon to mix the granola.
Ingredients to make a good homemade chocolate granola
Oatmeal or other cereals
This is the main source of fiber, for a complete breakfast and to reduce morning cravings. I use oatmeal, but you can replace it with wheat, barley or buckwheat flakes. And if you have an intolerance then choose organic and gluten free cereals.
Choose between honey or maple syrup, in addition to sweetening your granola, these sugars will also bring an additional and natural flavor.
Fat is essential, especially if it's good fat. Use a virgin vegetable oil that is neutral in taste such as grape seed oil, canola oil or hazelnut oil. For this recipe I use coconut oil which brings an extra flavor to the granola.
You can also replace the fat with almond puree or peanut butter. (to be mixed with the oatmeal before cooking)
Nuts and seeds
Source of Omega 3 and unsaturated fatty acids, the ones I prefer are almonds and pecans. You can also choose from hazelnuts, pecans, etc. For seeds it is optional, add sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds etc..
Salt brings out all the flavors, it is a perfect flavor enhancer in recipes containing dark chocolate. For this purpose, it is best to use sea salt.
How to make homemade granola
- Preheat the oven to 302°F / 150°C and line a baking sheet or a large rectangular dish with parchment paper. (like a casserole dish)
- Place all the ingredients in a container. Oatmeal, cocoa powder, chocolate cut into small pieces, nuts and seeds.
- Add coconut oil, honey and fleur de sel.
- Mix with a wooden spoon to coat the dry ingredients with the liquid ingredients until you obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet or rectangular dish and spread over the entire surface.
- Press the granola down to a small thickness to obtain a compact mixture and a crunchy granola.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, stirring a little halfway through.
- Let the granola cool completely before touching or mixing.
- Add the dark chocolate chips to the cooled granola and mix again.
- Store granola in a large glass jar with a lid.
How to preserve granola
Homemade chocolate granola can be stored for a very long time in a large glass jar with an airtight lid.
Other healthy recipes
- How to make healthy homemade granola
- Homemade almond butter
- Easy homemade peanut butter
- Oatmeal and almond butter cookies
- Seed and chocolate cookies
Don't forget to tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my homemade chocolate granola recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
Homemade chocolate granola
- 350 g Oatmeal - or other cereal flakes
- 100 g Nuts and seeds - almonds, pecans, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.
- 30 g Cocoa powder - unsweetened
- 50 g Semi-sweet chocolate
- 80 g Honey - or maple syrup
- 80 g Coconut oil - or canola oil, grape seed or hazelnut oil
- 50 g Chocolate chip
- 5 g Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 302°F / 150°C and line a baking tray or rectangular dish with baking paper.
- In a bowl place all the ingredients together, the oatmeal, the unsweetened cocoa powder, the dark chocolate cut into small pieces, the honey, the oil and the salt.
- And mix with a wooden spoon, enough until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour this mixture into the lined rectangular dish and spread the granola over the entire surface of the dish and press it a little so that it forms a compact preparation.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes at 302°F / 150°C and stir halfway through.
- Let the chocolate granola cool completely in the dish before adding the dark chocolate chips.
- Then store the granola in a large glass jar with an airtight lid.