How to make homemade granola, an easy and tasty recipe for breakfast, brunch or small snacks during the day.
These delicious cereals are made with healthy ingredients and are easy to adapt to everyone's tastes at home!
Do you want to change the breakfast cereals bought in the store, too sweet and processed?
Then learn how to prepare it yourself! It's easy, quick, and most importantly for less than the one in the supermarket.
I explain how to make your own granola, the right proportions to make it and how to customize it to your taste.
Granola and muesli are the favorite breakfast cereals, eaten with milk or in cottage cheese with fresh fruit.
Composed of cereal flakes (oat flakes), nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, pecans), seeds (sunflower, flax, chia,..), sugar and fat.
And for all tastes, chocolate granola, red fruit, chocolate chips etc. ...
Healthy homemade granola
Making your own healthy granola recipe will allow you to control its composition in natural ingredients. Organic cereals, whole grains, gluten free, natural sugars and especially adapted to your preferences.
Why make your own granola
- it's easy and quick without the need for any special equipment!
- Less expensive than the commercial ones!
- Healthy with naturals and good ingredients!
Source of fiber for intestinal transit and an ally for the heart. The best known of all, oat flakes, preferably whole grain. You can replace them with wheat, barley, buckwheat flakes. And choose gluten-free if you want to make a gluten-free granola.
Source of Omega 3, those I prefer are almonds and pecans. You can also choose from hazelnuts, pecans, cashews, macadamia nuts, etc..
Another source of unsaturated fatty acids that you can add sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds etc.
Preferably liquid, such as honey or maple syrup, which in addition to sweetening the granola provides an additional natural flavor. It is possible to use unrefined sugar, coconut sugar or brown sugar but it must first be dissolved in a little liquid.
You can also sweeten the granola naturally with fruit sugar, such as by adding dates, fruit compote or fruit juice.
For the fat, use a virgin oil unrefined, the ideal being olive oil but it is rather strong in taste. I use coconut oil which brings an extra flavor to the granola, but you can use a neutral vegetable oil, grape seed oil, canola oil or hazelnut oil.
Salt has the ability to bring out all the flavors and that is why you must not forget to add this flavor enhancer to your preparation. To do this, it is best to use fleur de sel.
To naturally flavor your homemade granola, add a little fruit coulis, apple sauce or citrus juice with the zest. Stir in your natural flavouring before baking.
Add spices such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg if you like those kinds of spices, they will go well with the nuts.
A granola with red fruits or dried cranberries, for that add dried fruits, like raspberry, coconut shavings or raisins. Add only at the end of cooking when the granola is well cooled.
Add dark chocolate chips to your granola after baking only when it is cool, otherwise they will melt.
Proportions to make the granola
To make a successful granola, you should follow this recipe formula with the following portions
- 4 portions of oat flakes
- 1 ½ portions of nuts and seeds
- ⅓ portion of sugar
- ⅓ portion of fat
Of course if you want to add more nuts or reduce the sugar or fat it will always be very good.
How to make homemade granola
- Preheat oven to 302°F / 150°C and line a baking sheet or large rectangular dish with parchment paper.
- Place the oats, nuts and seeds in a large container.
- Add the oil, liquid sugar and salt to the bowl containing the oats and nuts.
- Mix with a wooden spoon to coat the dry ingredients with the liquid ingredients.
- Pour the granola onto the baking sheet with parchment paper or rectangular dish and spread it over the entire surface.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, stirring a little halfway through.
- Allow the granola to cool completely after removing from the oven before placing it in a large glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
How to store granola
Homemade granola can be stored for a very long time in a large glass jar with an airtight lid.
Also expect it to be consumed very quickly, because at home, children and adults alike love granola. But don't worry, you can test all the possible combinations with this recipe.
Other heatlhy recipes
Don't forget to tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my homemade granola recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
- 400 g Oats (4 cups) flakes - wholemeal
- 150 g Nuts and seeds(1 ½ cups) almonds, hazelnuts,pecan, flax, chia, sunflower, sesame etc
- 130 g Vegetable oil (⅓ cup) coconut, grape seed, hazelnut, etc.
- 130 g Honey (⅓ cup) or maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 302°F / 150°C and line a baking sheet or rectangular dish with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, place the rolled oats with the whole or crushed nuts and seeds.
- Add the vegetable oil, honey or other liquid sugar and fleur de sel and mix again with a wooden spoon.
- Pour this mixture into your dish or baking sheet and spread the granola over the entire surface.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- At the end of the baking time, remove the granola from the oven and let it cool completely before moving it to a large jar with a lid.