How to make the basic overnight oats with almond milk recipe. Learn how to make this perfect and delicious overnight oats recipe for a healthful and complete healthy breakfast with fresh fruit and other toppings of your choice.
If you like oatmeal recipes have a look at all my delicious recipes to make for breakfast and brunch.
What are Overnight Oats?
Overnight oats consist of soaking oats flakes like old-fashioned rolled oats or quick oats overnight in a liquid mixture such as milk or a plant based as in this recipe with almond milk.
After a night of rest in the fridge, the rolled oats flakes have absorbed the liquid and as in the recipe of oatmeals or porridge you have a creamy mixture but in comparison to the latter, it is eaten rather cold.
Overnight oats are a trendy base recipe with an endless choice of flavor combinations. Just add your favorite toppings and fillings and you will have the perfect grab and go breakfast.
Often we add fresh fruit, such as bananas, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and even apples. And we can also add some seeds and spreads such as peanut butter, almond butter or nutella spread to make it more tasty.
But above all we like overnight oats mostly for its composition which makes it a quality choice for breakfast, it is complete, balanced and brings many benefits to the body to stay in shape and even to help in weight loss.
Overnight Oats vs Porridge
At first look, both are very similar because they are made of the same basic ingredients, oat flakes, and a liquid. But there are still some differences that make them really 2 distinct recipes.
- Preparation method: In the overnight oats, the mixture is left overnight in the refrigerator to allow the rolled oats to absorb the liquids, whereas in the porridge, the oats flakes are cooked in a saucepan with the liquid until they become a porridge.
- Temperature: overnight oats recipe are usually eaten cold, whereas porridge is best eaten hot.
Benefits of Overnight Oats
In addition to being a homemade recipe as in my granola recipe which is always a better choice for your health, this almond milk overnight oats is a perfect healthy breakfast and the best make ahead breakfast with multiple benefits for the body and perfect to help in weight loss :
- Nutritious and easy to digest: The starch and phytic acid naturally present in the seeds prevent the body from absorbing all the nutrients and can cause digestive problems. The process of soaking oats in liquid overnight helps break down the starch and reduce the phytic acid making it even more nutritious and much easier to digest.
- Rich in fiber: For better transit, helps reduce bad cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Satiating: due to its high content of resistant starch, which helps control blood sugar, increases satiety, and facilitates weight loss.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Oat flakes: You can use quick oats which give a creamier and softer texture or choose old-fashioned oats which will give more texture in the mouth (You can also find certified gluten free oats). I do not recommend using steel-cut oats which are much too raw to make this recipe.
- Milk: you can use water or milk, like cow's milk or rather plant based milk like almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, etc.
Ratio: 1 part oatmeal + 1 part almond milk = perfect Overnight Oatmeal!
- Sugar: Use a natural sugar such as honey or for vegan maple syrup or granulated sugar such as coconut sugar or stevia.
- Yogurt: This is optional but you can add plain yogurt or Greek yogurt.
- Chia seeds: Indispensable in my opinion, chia seeds are a superfood that can absorb up to 10 times its volume in water. Perfect for the feeling of satiety in addition to being a good source of protein.
- Vanilla extract: to flavor the overnight oats.
Tip: You can adjust the amount of liquid to get your perfect almond milk overnight oats texture, creamier or more compact, depending on your preference.
How to make Almond milk Overnight Oats recipe
- Place all the ingredients in your mason jar, oats chia seeds almond milk, yogurt, and maple syrup.
- Stir with a tablespoon for a few moments.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight in the fridge (or at least 2 hours).
The next day you just have to add in your mason jar some fresh fruit pieces like strawberries, apples or berries, and other toppings, and enjoy!
How to eat Overnight Oats
You can create some very tasty desserts by simply starting with this base recipe for overnight oats. By adding your favorite toppings and fillings, fresh fruit, seeds, chocolate chips, spices, etc…
Here are some flavors suggestions :
- Bananas + peanut butter + crushed almonds
- Cocoa powder + chocolate chips + raspberries
- Red fruits + no sugar added compote (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, berries)
- Apple Pie with soft apples, pecans, and cinnamon meal
- Tiramisu style with cocoa powder, coffee, and yogurt
Tip: And the best part is that you can heat up overnight oats in a saucepan or in the microwave and also eat them warm.
Frequently asked questions about overnight oats
almond milk is the sweetest and most neutral in taste and is the best choice when replacing dairy milk which makes it a great match with oatmeal.
Yes, eating overnight oats can help you feel full and prevent you from craving other foods and is a great support in weight loss.
The overnight oats remain delicious stored in a jar with a lid in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
Overnight oats can only be stored in the refrigerator in a container with a lid or simply covered with cling film, for about 5 days without the fruit.
Tip: Make ahead of time your overnight oatmeal for every day of the week in small jars with lids. You'll have breakfast ready every morning and by planning ahead you'll avoid making bad food choices.
More breakfast recipes
- Green detox juice
- Crunchy Chocolate Granola
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins with a streusel
- Banana bread recipe
More recipes with oatmeal
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print