Chocolate crinkles cookies are one of the best cookie recipes for the holiday season! Soft and with a brownie-like center, they are ultra chocolatey and we love the crackle effect that makes them a must have on your Christmas cookies list!
Chocolate crinkles cookies are very popular during the holiday season, it's a traditional recipe that is often part of the Christmas cookies list. They are very similar to my favorite brownie cookies recipe, they are ultra rich in chocolate with a soft brownie like center.
This is a very easy to make recipe that is easily declined according to the flavors, with lemon, vanilla and spices or here with cocoa powder. They are also rolled in confectioner's sugar just before baking which brings out the crackly edges even more.
- Flour & Baking powder : All purpose flour is perfect for all homemade cookie recipes. Be sure to measure the amount of flour with a kitchen scale as this determines the chewy texture. I use baking powder to make the dough rise, but you can also replace it with baking soda.
- Sugar : Granulated powdered sugar, you can use cane sugar or a mixture of brown and white sugar. The amount of sugar in this recipe is a bit lower than other recipes found on the web. I took into consideration the fact that they will be rolled in confectioner's sugar which also provides an extra dose of sugar.
- Vegetable oil : I use vegetable oil like canola oil or grape seed oil, as long as it is neutral. It gives a much more moist and melting texture than butter. You can slightly smell the oil in the cookies after baking but as they cool you don't notice that they are made with oil at all.
- Cocoa : I use unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Eggs : Use medium eggs or possibly 1 large egg, the dough should be easy to handle. Eggs should be used at room temperature.
- Salt & Vanilla extract : sea salt is perfect to bring out the taste of the chocolate. Also use pure vanilla extract to flavor these cookies.
For a double chocolate crinkle recipe add a dose of chocolate chips you will feel even more chocolate in the texture and crunchy chips. And you can try my homemade chocolate chip recipe which is super easy and useful.
Mexican crinkle cookies
And for a spicy version you can vary this recipe with Mexican crinkle by simply adding ½ tsp of ground cinnamon and cayenne.
How to make chocolate crinkles cookies
Start by mixing together in a large bowl all the dry ingredients, flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
Then in the bowl of your mixer, beat the oil and granulated sugar at medium speed for about 1-2 minutes to dissolve the sugar and until you have a smooth and bubbly mixture.
Then add the eggs and vanilla extract one by one while letting the mixer run at medium speed until they are well incorporated.
Then finish by gently folding the flour mixture into the liquid mixture, either with a spatula or at the slow speed of the electric mixer, and mix until you have a smooth, soft and slightly sticky dough.
Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour (ideally more to make them easier to shape).
Preheat your oven to 350°F/ 175°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Form balls of dough with a cookie scoop or with your hands (if you have trouble you can grease your hands with oil to make shaping easier).
Roll the balls in confectioner's sugar until they are completely covered with sugar coating and place them on your baking sheet. Leave a space between each ball as they will puff up a bit during baking.
How to Bake crinkles
Bake in preheated oven your chocolate crinkle cookies for about 10 - 15 minutes depending on the diameter and power of your oven. The cookies will be ready when they have that cracked look, have puffed up a bit and are still a bit soft to the touch.
Let the chocolate crinkle cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing them to a cake wire rack and letting them cool completely before serving.
Store and freeze
At room temperature
You can store your cookies the same way you store shortbread cookies in a storage box with a lid. They will keep their softness and freshness for several weeks.
Here's a handy trick to keep your cookies for a very long time: After baking and when your crinkles are well cooled, you can place them in storage bags and put them in the freezer for 3 months.
Faq - Frequently questions about crinkles
The particularity of this recipe is its cracked effect which is simply due to the fact that the cookies are completely covered with confectioner's sugar. Even the cookie dough underneath is no longer visible. And during the baking process, the baking powder will grow quickly due to the high temperature of the oven and a hard crust will form and crack which will create these nice cracks.
No, the dough remains soft and when baked will spread out and form naturally flattened and round cookies.
The dough needs to have a firmer consistency before baking. Let the dough chill in the fridge.
- Chocolate truffles
- Hot chocolate bombs
- Chocolate chip cookie dough truffles
- Homemade hot chocolate
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Brownie crinkle cookies
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print