How to make hot chocolate bombs at home filled with your favorite treats for all your hot drinks this winter! They are shiny and easy to make with cocoa mix and lots of marshmallows.
Hot chocolate bomb
These hot chocolate bombs are big chocolate balls filled with a cocoa mix, candies and marshmallows and decorated with chocolate and sprinkles. And when you pour hot milk over them, the chocolate shell melts and releases a delicious treat. You can then enjoy a delicious homemade hot chocolate.
Like my favorite homemade hot chocolate recipe with whipped cream, you'll have a warm drink rich in chocolate and with all your favorite treats inside. This hot drink is perfect for the holiday season to warm up this winter or to share with your loved one on Valentine's Day.
Materials and ingredients
For the chocolate sphere :
- Chocolate: A chocolate cover in bar. You can make your spheres with dark chocolate, milk chocolate and even white chocolate.
- Thermometer : Very useful to temper the chocolate.
- Sphere mold : silicone mold for making chocolate balls or acrylic mold which is often used to make homemade chocolate.
- Brush : to apply a layer of chocolate in the mold or with a teaspoon.
- Pastry bag : to decorate the bombs with chocolate.
To fill the inside of the bombs:
- Cocoa powder mix : the one you usually use in your hot drinks.
- Marshmallows : mini marshmallows or cut your marshmallows in small pieces with scissors.
- Sprinkles : to decorate the outside of the bombs
How to temper chocolate for shiny bombs
To have shiny shells, use preferably couverture chocolate which contains more cocoa butter and also melts more easily than chocolate chips.
Although working with chocolate is impressive, the technique for tempering chocolate is very easy to do. This tempering method consists in melting the chocolate while following a temperature curve. This allows to have a more perfect result, the chocolate is shiny and solid.
- Dark chocolate: Melt at 50-55°C (122-131°F), cool to 28-29°C (82°F) and use at 31-32°C (87-89°F).
- Milk chocolate: Melt at 45-50°C, cool to 27-28°C (80°F) and use at 29-30°C (86°F).
- White chocolate: Melt at 45-50°C (80°F), cool at 26-27°C (80°F), use at 28-29°C (82°F).
Heat the chocolate either in a double boiler or in the microwave, but with the latter it is a bit difficult to control the temperature.
How to make the hot chocolate bombs
- Melt the chocolate, either in a double boiler or in the microwave in 20 second increments. (follow the temperature curves depending on the chocolate you are using)
- Apply the chocolate to your mold with a brush or the back of a small spoon.
- Gently unmold the chocolate shells.
- Decorate your bombs with chocolate and sprinkles.
- Fill the inside of your shells and weld them together (see technique below)
Tip: Use plastic gloves to avoid leaving marks on the chocolate pieces.
How to stick easily the 2 spheres of chocolate
To stick the 2 chocolate pieces together there is a very simple and easy method to follow! Heat a plate in the microwave for about 1 minute and you just have to put your shells for a few moments, the heat of the plate will melt the chocolate and you can then stick the 2 shells together to form the bombs.
Others recipe for homemade chocolate
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!
Hot chocolate bomb
- 200 g Chocolate - couverture about 54% - 64% cacao butter
- Cacao mix
- Marshmallows, candies
Prepare the chocolate shells
- Finely chop the chocolate with a knife and place in a container.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave on low power in 15-20 second increments until it is completely melted. Check the temperature, which should be around 50-55 °C (122-131°F).
- Let the chocolate cool down a little and it should come down to a temperature of 28-29°C (82°F).
- Heat the chocolate again in a double boiler or in the microwave, checking the temperature, which should be 31-32°C (89°F).
- Immediately use the chocolate by applying it to the cavities of your mold with a kitchen brush, a paint brush or the back of a teaspoon.
- Place the mold in the freezer for 5 minutes and apply a new layer of chocolate and return to the freezer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Unmold the chocolate shells and divide them in 2, on one side the shells that will be underneath and on the other side the shells that will close the bombs.
- With a pastry bag containing a little melted chocolate decorate the top shells and sprinkle immediately with sugar decorations and let cool completely.
- Fill the inside of the other shells with sweetened cocoa powder and marshmallows and other candies.
- Heat a plate in the microwave for 1 minute and place the top shell on the plate for a few moments to melt the chocolate and then immediately stick it with a cocoa-filled shell to form a bomb.