How to make hot chocolate bombs at home with this easy and delicious recipe. These little chocolate spheres contain a hot cocoa mix and all your favorite treats perfect for your winter comfort drinks.
Hot cocoa bombs
Hot chocolate bombs are very popular in cold winter days and around Christmas time. These chocolate bombs are very sweet and hold all your favorite treats.
If you don't know them yet, it's simply 2 chocolate shells filled with a hot chocolate mix to which we usually add mini marshmallows, a bit like my homemade hot chocolate recipe but in a so much fun version.
The hot chocolate bomb is then added to a cup of warm milk, and in contact with the heat, it opens and releases all that it contains, in the end we have a delicious coup of hot chocolate and are full of greed.
And when you pour hot milk over them, the chocolate shell melts and releases a delicious treat. You can then enjoy a delicious homemade hot chocolate.
Hot chocolate bombs can be made with dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and even white chocolate, they are decorated with a theme and are the perfect holiday gift for Christmas or Valentine's Day.
Materials and ingredients
- Chocolate: Use baking chocolate that melts better than chocolate chips, such as dark chocolate bar, callets or feves. You can use semi-sweet chocolate, milk chocolate or quality white chocolate.
- Thermometer: Very useful to measure the temperature of the chocolate, optional if you want to temper the chocolate and have shiny and solid shells.
- Chocolate mold: silicone mold for making chocolate balls or acrylic mold which is often used to make homemade chocolate.
- Pastry brush: to apply a layer of chocolate in the mold or with a teaspoon.
- Pastry bag: to decorate the hot cocoa bomb with melted chocolate.
Hot chocolate mix:
- Cocoa powder mix: the one you usually use in your hot drinks, you can also use unsweetened cocoa powder and add a bit of sugar.
- Marshmallows: mini marshmallows or cut your marshmallows in small pieces with scissors.
- Sprinkles: to decorate the outside of the bombs
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to temper chocolate for shiny bombs
To have shiny chocolate shells, preferably use baking couverture chocolate that contains more cocoa butter and also melts more easily than chocolate chips.
Although working with chocolate is impressive, the technique for tempering chocolate is very easy to do.
This tempering method consists in melting the chocolate while following a temperature curve. This allows to have a more perfect result, the chocolate is shiny and solid.
- Dark chocolate: Melt at 50-55°C (122-131°F), cool to 28-29°C (82°F) and use at 31-32°C (87-89°F).
- Milk chocolate: Melt at 45-50°C, cool to 27-28°C (80°F), and use at 29-30°C (86°F).
- White chocolate: Melt at 45-50°C (80°F), cool at 26-27°C (80°F), and use at 28-29°C (82°F).
Heat the chocolate either in a double boiler or in a microwave-safe bowl, but with the latter, it is a bit difficult to control the temperature.
How to make homemade hot chocolate bombs
1 - Make the chocolate spheres
- Finely chop the dark chocolate with a knife and place in a medium bowl.
- Melt chocolate, either in a double boiler method or in the microwave in 20-second increments. (If you follow the tempered chocolate technique alors référer vous aux indications de courbe de temperature selon le chocolate que vous utiliser)
- Apply the melted chocolate to your chocolate mold with a pastry brush or the back of a teaspoon.
- Place the shells in the freezer for 5 minutes then add the second layer of chocolate using the pastry brush and leave in the freezer for another 5 minutes.
- Gently unmold the cooled chocolate shells one by one.
Tip: Use plastic gloves to avoid leaving marks on the chocolate pieces.
2 - Hot cocoa mix
- Place the solid chocolate shells on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Decorate the top of the shells with the remaining melted chocolate, using either a spoon or a piping bag and moving back and forth.
- Then immediately add sprinkles and let the chocolate ball cool completely.
- Fill half of chocolate bomb with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows and candy.
3 - Stick chocolate shell
To stick the 2 chocolate spheres filled together there is a very simple and easy method to follow!
- Heat a plate in the microwave for about 1 minute.
- Put down an empty shell for a few moments on the warm plate, which will slightly melt the edges of the shell.
- Then solder it with a filled halves chocolate bomb and hold for a few moments while it cools.
Tip: You can run your finger lightly over the seam to smooth out any melted chocolate that spills out.
Store hot chocolate bombs at room temperature in a cool place and place them in an airtight container box or jar.
You can keep them for a long time up to several weeks, making hot chocolate bombs in large batches to have enough for the whole winter.
More chocolate and candy recipe
- Chocolate fudge
- Chocolate truffles
- Chocolate chip cookies dough truffles
- No bake energy balls
- Oreo Fudge
More homemade hot drinks
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print