An original way to eat gingerbread for the festive season with gingerbread layer cake. A soft gingerbread biscuit with spices and a nice forest of chocolate fir trees.
It is a delicious cake made of a soft gingerbread cake, a light mascarpone cream with an orange jam filling.
The whole thing is decorated with a good layer of cream and gourmet chocolate fir trees.
What is Gingerbread
This gingerbread layer cake with gingerbread is melt-in-the-mouth and flavoured with a delicious mixture of spices.
And, It is also accompanied by a light whipped cream with mascarpone and a filling of orange jam for the fruity touch.
Why choose the gingerbread layer cake?
- It's a very comforting seasonal recipe.
- For its blend of spices that makes it a perfect dessert for the holidays!
- An easy-to-make layer cake with little preparation.
And if you like all these end of year preparations with spices, you will also like :
- Spice snowflake biscuit
- Layer cake gingerbread village
- Snickerdoodle cinnamon shortbread biscuits
To make this gingerbread cake, you will need some ground spices, which I deliberately measured out so as not to have too strong a taste of the spices.
The gingerbread mix :
Other important ingredients in this recipe :
Also note that these two ingredients will be essential in the composition of your gingerbread cake.
How to make gingerbread layer cake
Preparation of the gingerbread cake
- To bein, prepare 2 round cake moulds 4 inch/12 cm in diameter, lined with baking paper.
- Then in a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter with the golden syrup and molasses.
- Remove from the heat, add the sugar and set aside.
- And in a bowl, mix the eggs and milk and then add the melted butter mixture.
- In a large container, place together the dry ingredients, flour, powdered cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger and ground cloves, baking powder and salt.
- Finish by adding the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients mixture.
- Finally transfer this preparation to your cake moulds and bake in the oven.
- And at the exit of the oven, let your cakes cool down before unmoulding them.
- Then when they are cold wrap them in cling film and place them in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Preparation of the mascarpone whipped cream
- To begin, place all the ingredients in a container and mix with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- Set aside in a cool place until ready to use.
Preparation of the chocolate trees
- Melt the dark chocolate callets in a bain marie or in the microwave.
- Fill a pastry bag with dark chocolate
- Cut a very small opening in your pastry bag with scissors.
- On a sheet of greaseproof paper draw thick fir trees.
- Allow the chocolate trees to cool completely before peeling them off.
Assembly and decoration
- First of all, take the cakes out of the fridge and using a sponge cake leveler or a large sponge cake knife, cut your cakes into layers of equal thickness.
- Then, on a turntable cake, place a cakeboard, then a first layer of gingerbread cake.
- Using an angled spatula, place a small layer of orange jam and then a layer of mascarpone whipped cream.
- Then cover with a second layer of gingerbread cake and repeat this step for all the layers.
- Finally, spread a thin layer of mascarpone whipped cream over the whole cake.
- Finish by smoothing the cream with an icing smoother.
- And place a thick layer on top of the cake and decorate with the chocolate trees and icing sugar.
How to store my layer cake
Keep your finished cake up to 1 week in the fridge, the gingerbread sponge cake can be kept up to 3 months in the freezer and the mascarpone cream about 5-7 days in the fridge.
Gingerbread layer cake
- 350 g flour
- 225 g butter
- 200 g cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 110 g golden syrup
- 110 g molasses
- 300 ml milk
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tbsp Orange jam
Mascarpone whipped cream
- 200 g mascarpone - cold
- 200 g liquid cream - whole 30% fat cold
- 40 g sugar
- Dark chocolate
- Melt the butter, golden syrup1 and molasses in a saucepan over low heat.
- When the butter has melted, remove from the heat and add the sugar, mix well and set aside for about 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs and milk and add this mixture to the melted butter.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, spices, baking soda and salt.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture in several batches, mixing well with each addition.
- Pour this mixture into the 2 moulds and cook for 40-50 minutes at 320°F/160°C.
- Leave your cakes to cool completely, then cover them with cling film and chill for at least 2 hours.
mascarpone whipped cream
- Place the mascarpone, cold whole cream and sugar in the bowl of your mixer.
- Whisk at high speed for 2-3 minutes.
- The cream is ready when it is well assembled and firm, store in a cool place.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bain-marie or in the microwave.
- Place the melted chocolate in a pastry bag, cut off the end of the pastry bag.
- Draw very thick trees on a sheet of baking paper.
- Leave to cool completely before removing the small trees.
Assembly of the layer cake :
- Cut your cakes using a sponge cake lyre into layers of equal sizes.
- Place a cake tray on a turntable and place a first layer of cake on top.
- Spread a thin layer of orange jam, then a layer of mascarpone and repeat this step for all layers of cake.
- Spread a thin layer of mascarpone on the outer surface of the cake, smooth with a spatula or cake smoothener.
- Cover the top with a thick layer of mascarpone and plant the chocolate trees.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with icing sugar for a snowy effect.