How to make this delicious berry and cream cake recipe, the famous Victoria sponge cake into a beautiful sandwich cake as good as my berry semi-naked cake, filled with mascarpone whipped cream, homemade strawberry coulis, and fresh berries.
Victoria Sponge Cake, also known as "Victoria Sandwich cake", takes its name from Queen Victoria of Great Britain, who enjoyed a slice of this délicious berry cream layer cake at tea time in England.
The delicious cake recipe generally consists of 2 sponge layers filled with a classic vanilla buttercream frosting, strawberry jam, and fresh fruits.
For a lighter, more flavorful cake, I substituted the buttercream with a mascarpone whipped cream and, instead of jam, a homemade strawberry coulis.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy recipe with step-by-step instructions and video (coming soon) for such a simple cake, perfect for pastry beginners.
- Full of freshness with fresh fruits and lightness with the airy sponge cake and lightly whipped cream.
- A wonderful cake to make for special occasions.
Composition of this recipe
Whipped cream filling:
To follow the traditional recipe, you can make a vanilla buttercream or, as here, a delicious light homemade whipped cream made with mascarpone cheese, heavy whipping cream, icing sugar, and mascarpone cheese.
A simple homemade strawberry coulis or a chunky version with this strawberry compote that you can easily replace with fruit jam, strawberry jam, raspberry jam, etc.
And berries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, etc., which you can replace with other fresh fruits.
⚠️ You'll find quantities and full instructions in the recipe card at the end of this page.
How to make the best Victoria Sponge Cake
Make the sponge cake
- Preheat the oven to 329°F / 165°C and line 2 7-8 inches (17-20 cm) diameter cake pans with parchment paper.
- Place the softened and unsalted butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and blend at high speed until creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and the room-temperature eggs one at a time, keeping the mixer running at medium speed until well incorporated, then continue mixing for 5 minutes.
- Finish by adding the flour mixture, cake flour, baking powder, and salt with a soft spatula.
- Pour the cake batter into the 2 prepared cake pans and bake cakes for around 30 minutes, until golden on top.
- Leave to cool slightly in the pan before unmolding and cooling completely on a wire rack.
Tip: At the end of baking, plunge a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done.
- Place the fresh or frozen strawberries in a saucepan with the sugar and lemon juice.
- Heat over medium heat for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the strawberries are mashed.
- Blend the mixture with an immersion blender, then strain through a fine sieve to remove the seeds.
- Chill completely in the fridge until ready to assemble the cake.
Tip: You can also replace the homemade coulis with a simple strawberry jam to speed things up.
Mascarpone whipped cream
- Place the cold, full-fat heavy cream, cold mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix with an electric mixer at medium speed for about 3 minutes, until stiff and creamy.
Tip: Be careful not to overbeat the mixture, or the frosting will become too grainy.
Assemble the cake
- Use a sponge cutter or a large saw knife to cut out the bump on the cake layers.
- Place the first cake layer of sponge cake on a serving dish or cake stand.
- Apply a layer of mascarpone whipped cream over the entire surface of the sponge cake, then add fruit pieces and strawberry coulis.
- Cover with the second sponge cake and add more mascarpone frosting, fresh fruits for decoration, and strawberry coulis.
- Place the Berry Victoria sponge cake in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.
Here are a few ideas for serving this berry cake recipe or other fillings for added deliciousness:
- With a bit of hot chocolate sauce or a raspberry compote
- Cinnamon-flavored apples with fresh whipped cream and caramel sauce.
- Chocolate whipped ganache with fresh raspberries.
- Vanilla white chocolate ganache with fresh strawberries.
- Sandwich ice cream and fresh fruits.
Yes, it's possible to make a cream cake the day before, but it needs to be kept in a cool place until you're ready to serve it.
Yes, you can use a simple chantilly or a mascarpone whipped cream between the layers of a cake.
Storage and tips
Fridge: The berry cake can only be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days, wrapped in cling film, or in an airtight container box.
Freezer: Only the sponge cake can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Allow the sponge cake to cool completely before assembling, otherwise, the frosting will melt and the cake will collapse.
Let the cake rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving, to allow the cream to set and the cake to taste better.
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print