Strawberry sauce is also delicious served with fresh fruit and a whipped cream, or in a panna cotta or a strawberry tiramisu.
Homemade strawberry coulis recipe is a delicious strawberry-based preparation that flavors pastry preparations, frostings, and fillings and goes well with all our favorite desserts.
Made from just 3 ingredients - strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice - it takes just 10 minutes of prep time to make this fruit coulis at home and costs much less than the store-bought ones.
Strawberry coulis is perfect for flavoring or coating all your desserts, ice cream, as a garnish with Grec yogurt, or to go with a slice of this strawberry swirl cheesecake, my French toast recipe or my strawberry whipped cream cake.
Why you'll love this recipe
- A very quick and easy recipe, ready in just 10 minutes!
- Only 3 ingredients: strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice for preservation.
- Much cheaper than store-bought, with natural ingredients and no artificial preservatives.
- Delicious and fruity, perfect to flavor pastries, to add a strawberry topping to your cakes and homemade desserts.
Ingredients for this recipe
Here's an overview of the ingredients needed to make homemade strawberry sauce, scroll down to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Strawberries: Use your preferred choice of either fresh strawberries (during strawberry season) or frozen strawberries perfect for making homemade coulis all year round.
- Sugar: Optionally use white granulated sugar to sweeten the coulis, you can reduce or increase the quantity for a sweeter taste, or choose a natural sugar such as maple syrup or honey.
- Lemon: Use fresh lemon juice or bottled lemon juice to preserve the fruit coulis.
- Fruit: Mix with other red fruits for a more flavorful sauce, such as frozen berries or fresh berries, raspberries, etc.
- Thickener: Add a bit of flour or cornstarch to thicken the texture.
- Vanilla: a bit of pure vanilla extract can be added to flavor the sauce.
How to make a strawberry sauce recipe
- Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan: hulled and sliced strawberries, granulated sugar, and fresh lemon juice.
- Heat the saucepan over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until the strawberries have softened.
Tip: You can use a mixture of strawberries and raspberries or red berries.
- Mash the strawberries with a fork to see if they have softened enough, until you have a strawberry purée.
- Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender (or blender) to smooth the fruit coulis to the consistency of strawberry juice.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve to remove all the seeds and obtain a smooth sauce mixture.
- Pour the strawberry sauce into a glass jar with a lid and leave to cool completely in the fridge.
Tip: If you prefer a chunky sauce like this strawberry compote, skip the blending step and you'll have a texture a little more like strawberry jam.
how to use your fruit sauce
- To go with my chocolate strawberry layer cake, a slice of strawberry coffee cake or this strawberry Angel food cake.
- As a topping on a panna cotta recipe, a strawberry tart or a strawberry fraisier cake.
- In a strawberry biscoff tiramisu.
- As a verine with mascarpone frosting and fresh strawberries.
- To flavor a cheese cake base, mousse or vanilla ice cream,
- Serve with homemade granola and cottage cheese, or in yogurt.
- On French Toast brioche with fresh fruit.
Storage and tips
In the fridge: Fruit coulis can only be stored in the fridge for about 1 week, in a glass jar with a lid.
In the freezer: You can also freeze it for up to 3 months, leaving it to thaw gently overnight in the fridge.
How do you thicken a fruit coulis? You can follow the preparation of strawberry purée, which is thicker and more concentrated in fruit.
Add a gelling agent to thicken the coulis such as special jam sugar, or a small amount of cornstarch, potato starch, or flour.
You will also love
- Strawberry smoothie
- Strawberry milkshake
- Strawberry macarons
- Rustic strawberry tart
- raspberry compote
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Please add a rating to the recipe and leave me a review in the comments section! Tag @sweetlycakes to share your creation.Print