How to make your own naked cake recipe with fresh berries and a delicious mascarpone whipped cream. This is a very easy layer cake recipe with a minimal frosting and perfect for any occasion.
What is a Naked Cake?
The naked cake or also called the nude cake is as its name suggests, is a simple layer cake recipe but with an unfrosted cake style or with a minimal frosting and then we'll call it the semi-naked cake.
This style of rustic cake is very trendy, they let appear the vanilla cake layers and its filling. You can make naked cakes with any flavor like this chocolate naked cake recipe with chocolate cake.
We see a lot of naked wedding cakes displayed on cake stand filled with vanilla buttercream and decorated with fresh fruits and fresh flowers or even edible flowers.
But it is more and more chosen for birthday cake, baby shower, bridal shower and other special occasions.
My naked cake recipe is made with a dense buttermilk cake, filled with a light mascarpone whipped cream and decorated with some fresh berries like fresh strawberries, fresh raspberries, cherries and blackberries.
Naked cake or semi-naked cake
The difference between the two is only in a very thin layer of frosting. The first one doesn't have any at all, it's raw and the second one has a very thin layer that lets all the cake layers show through as in my recipe.
Which one to choose? It's up to you to see the final result you want, both are very nice 😉 !
Why choose naked cakes
What we like most is the simplicity that this style of cake offers, which makes it much simpler than the frosted cake. Which still requires a good mastery and a little experience with the smoothing.
You also have free hand on the creation and decoration which is often very chic and refined. As the filling is visible you can also play with the shapes by using a piping tip to make pretty borders but you should use a buttercream frosting which holds its shape better.
- Rustic and clean style
- Perfect for weddings
- With fresh fruit
How to make this Naked Cake recipe
- Preheat the oven and line two 6 inch / 15 cm round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix together the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl mix together the liquid ingredients, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Put the softened and unsalted butter with the powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whip at medium high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and whites one at a time while running the stand mixer at low speed.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the liquids to the bowl of the mixer in 3 batches, keeping it running at low speed.
- When the mixture is homogeneous, pour the cake batter into your 2 prepared cake pans and bake for about 45-55 minutes.
- Turn out and let the cake layer completely cool on a wire rack.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Tip: after adding the dry ingredients, avoid over-mixing to ensure a soft cake layers.
Mascarpone whipped cream
- Place the cold heavy cream, mascarpone, and confectioner's sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 3-5 minutes until you have a stiff whipped cream.
- Set aside in the fridge until ready to assemble.
Tip: Be careful not to overbeat the cream or it will be grainy.
Layering the naked cake
- Cut the layer cakes into several equal-sized layers using a large serrated knife.
- Place a cake board on your turntable and place the first layer of cake.
- Top the inside with a layer of mascarpone whipped cream et smooth with an offset spatula and add sliced berries.
- Cover with a second layer and repeat this step for all the layers.
- Finish by applying the remaining frosting in a very thin layer of mascarpone whipped cream to cover the entire cake/
- Smooth with an icing smoother to remove excess frosting and get a frosting evenly and smooth finished cake.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries, fresh raspberries, cherries and blackberries.
- Let your naked cake rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before place it on a serving plate and serve it.
How to store naked cake
The naked cake can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days in a storage box or covered with plastic wrap.
You can also store it up to 3 months without the fruit.
More Fruit Cake Recipes
- Naked cake with flowers
- Strawberry layer cake
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print