Chocolate Naked cake, an easy recipe for this cake that has style with its pretty pink meringue buttercream frosting and a gourmet chocolate ganache filling.
What is a Naked Cake?
The naked cake or nude cake is a layer cake without frosting, a trendy cake that reveals the layers of sponge cake and especially it's filling.
This recipe for naked chocolate cake is composed of a chocolate sponge cake "chocolate molly cake", a dark whipped chocolate ganache and for the assembly and decoration a pretty pink Italian meringue buttercream.
Why choose the naked cake
- Easy, this cake is simple because you only have to assemble the layers cake without worrying about the outside frosting.
- Very trendy for weddings and celebrations like a Wedding naked cake.
- Stylish, with a nicely poached filling with a star tip for that gorgeous textured effect.
- Foodie, it gives a overview of what's in it as an interior trim.
Materials to make this layer cake recipe
- Stand mixer to make buttercream and chocolate cake
- An electric mixer for the whipped dark chocolate ganache
- A set of 2 round cake pans to bake the cake
- A cake leveler to easily cut your cakes in layers.
- Cooking thermometer
- Cake rack
- Disposable pastry bags
- Star icing tip (here a 6 B)
- Cake decorating turntable
You will also like : Best 10 cake decorating tools for great cakes !
How to make a naked chocolate cake
Make the chocolate cake
- Start by lining 2 round cake pans with baking paper and preheat the oven.
- Then place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer and blend with a whisk for about 5 minutes, until the mixture doubles in volume and whitens.
- Then incorporate the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and mixing at medium speed.
- Finish by incorporating the gently whipped liquid cream with a soft spatula or with the flat spatula of your stand mixer.
- Then, divide your preparation in 2 and spread the cake dough in the 2 cake pans.
- And bake in the oven for the time indicated in the recipe sheet below.
- At the exit of the oven, let your cakes cool a little before unmoulding them, then let them cool completely on a cake rack.
- And cover them with cling film and place them in the chill for at least 2 hours before cutting them with a cake leveler.
Make the Italian meringue buttercream
See the complete recipe for Italian Meringue Buttercream.
- Start by placing sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and using a cooking thermometer, control the temperature to reach 230°F / 110°C.
- Then, at 230°F / 110°C, place the egg whites and half of the sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a whisk and beat at medium speed.
- And when the syrup temperature reaches 244°F / 118°C, pour the syrup gently over the egg whites while the stand mixer is running.
- Finally, put the mixture on high speed and let it rotate for about ten minutes until the meringue cools down.
- Finish by incorporating the butter cut into pieces into the meringue and let the stand mixer turn until a smooth and homogeneous buttercream is obtained.
Make the whipped dark chocolate ganache
The day before
- First of all, place the dark chocolate cut into pieces in a container.
- Then bring the whole liquid cream to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Then, pour the hot liquid cream twice over the chocolate.
- Finally, mix with a soft spatula, the ganache should be very smooth and the chocolate completely melted.
- Finish by covering with cling film and leave to rest overnight in the fridge.
Day of assembly
- Start by taking the ganache out of the fridge and using an electric mixer, beat the dark chocolate ganache for 1-2 minutes.
Assembly of the naked cake
- First place a layer of chocolate cake on a cake decorating turntable .
- Then place a first layer of chocolate cake.
- And using a piping bag filled with Italian meringue buttercream and fitted with a star icing nozzle, poach pretty swirls around the edge.
- Then, with a piping bag filled with dark chocolate ganache fill the inside.
- Then repeat this step for the other layers of cake.
- Finally place your naked cake in the chill at least 1 hour before serving.
Store and freeze
Once assembled, the chocolate naked cake can be kept in the chill for 3 to 5 days, take it out of the fridge 20 - 30 minutes before serving.
More chocolate cakes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print