Chocolate Naked cake, an easy recipe for this cake that has style with its pretty pink meringue buttercream frosting and a gourmet chocolate ganache filling.
Whate is a naked cake
The naked cake or nude cake is a layer cake without frosting, a trendy cake that reveals the layers of sponge cake and especially its filling.
This recipe for nakec chocolate cake is composed of a chocolate sponge cake "chocolate molly cake", a dark whipped chocolate ganache and for the assembly and decoration a pretty pink Italian meringue buttercream.
Why choose the naked cake
- Easy, this cake is simple because you only have to assemble the layers cake without worrying about the outside frosting.
- Very trendy for weddings and celebrations like a Wedding naked cake.
- Stylish, with a nicely poached filling with a star tip for that gorgeous textured effect.
- Foodie, it gives a overview of what's in it as an interior trim.
Materials to make this layer cake recipe
- Stand mixer to make buttercream and chocolate cake
- An electric mixer for the whipped dark chocolate ganache
- A set of 2 round cake pans to bake the cake
- A cake leveler to easily cut your cakes in layers.
- Cooking thermometer
- Cake rack
- Disposable pastry bags
- Star icing tip (here a 6 B)
- Cake decorating turntable
How to make a chocolate naked
Make the chocolate cake
- Start by lining 2 round cake pans with baking paper and preheat the oven.
- Then place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer and blend with a whisk for about 5 minutes, until the mixture doubles in volume and whitens.
- Then incorporate the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and mixing at medium speed.
- Finish by incorporating the gently whipped liquid cream with a soft spatula or with the flat spatula of your stand mixer.
- Then, divide your preparation in 2 and spread the cake dough in the 2 cake pans.
- And bake in the oven for the time indicated in the recipe sheet below.
- At the exit of the oven, let your cakes cool a little before unmoulding them, then let them cool completely on a cake rack.
- And cover them with cling film and place them in the chill for at least 2 hours before cutting them with a cake leveler.
Make the Italian meringue buttercream
See the complete recipe for Italian Meringue Buttercream.
- Start by placing sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and using a cooking thermometer, control the temperature to reach 230°F / 110°C.
- Then, at 230°F / 110°C, place the egg whites and half of the sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a whisk and beat at medium speed.
- And when the syrup temperature reaches 244°F / 118°C, pour the syrup gently over the egg whites while the stand mixer is running.
- Finally, put the mixture on high speed and let it rotate for about ten minutes, until the meringue cools down.
- Finish by incorporating the butter cut into pieces into the meringue and let the stand mixer turn until a smooth and homogeneous buttercream is obtained.
Make the whipped dark chocolate ganache
The day before
- First of all, place the dark chocolate cut into pieces in a container.
- Then bring the whole liquid cream to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Then, pour the hot liquid cream twice over the chocolate.
- Finally, mix with a soft spatula, the ganache should be very smooth and the chocolate completely melted.
- Finish by covering with cling film and leave to rest overnight in the fridge.
Day of assembly
- Start by taking the ganache out of the fridge and using an electric mixer, beat the dark chocolate ganache for 1-2 minutes.
Assembly of the naked cake
- First place a layer of chocolat cake on a cake decorating turntable .
- Then place a first layer of chocolate cake.
- And using a piping bag filled with Italian meringue buttercream and fitted with a star icing nozzle, poach pretty swirls around the edge.
- Then, with a piping bag filled with dark chocolate ganache fill the inside.
- Then repeat this step for the other layers of cake.
- Finally place your naked cake in the chill at least 1 hour before serving.
How to store the naked cake
Once assembled, the chocolate naked cake can be kept in the chill for 3 to 5 days, take it out of the fridge 20 - 30 minutes before serving.
Naked chocolate cake
- 252 g Flour
- 300 g Sugar
- 108 g Unswetened cocoa powder
- 360 g Liquid cream - whole 30% fat
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 pinch Salt
Italian meringue Buttercream
- 4 Eggs white - at room temperature (approx. 150 g of whites)
- 350 g Sugar - divided in 2
- 150 ml Water
- 450 g Butter - cut into pieces softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Pink food color
Whipped dark chocolate ganache
- 100 g Dark chocolate
- 120 ml Liquide cream - whole 30% fat
Chocolate Molly cake
- Preheat your oven to 320°F / 160°C and line 2 5 inch / 12 cm round cake pans with baking paper.
- Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a whisk and beat at high speed for about 10 minutes, until the mixture whitens and doubles in volume.
- Mix together the dry ingredients, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In another container, beat the whipped cream with an electric mixer and set aside.
- While turning the mixer in your stand mixer, add the dry ingredients to the first mixture of egg and sugar.
- Finish by gently stirring in the whipped cream.
- Divide your cake batter in half and fill the cake pans, then bake for about 35-45 minutes.
- Check the baking with a cake tester or the tip of a knife, dip it into the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Allow your cakes to cool for about 10 minutes before unmoulding and then let them cool completely on a cake rack.
- Then cover them with cling film and place them in the fridge for at least 2 hours before cutting.
Italian meringue buttercream
- Start by placing half of the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and check the temperature with a cooking thermometer which should reach 230°F / 110°C.
- At 230°F/ 110°C, place the egg whites and the other half of the sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer and beat with a whisk at medium speed.
- Then, as soon as the syrup reaches 244°F / 118°C, pour it in a trickle over the whites while letting the whisk rotate.
- Then mix at high speed for about ten minutes until the meringue cools and is firm, white and shiny.
- Then lower the speed and incorporate the butter cut into pieces and resume mixing at high speed until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous butter cream.
- Then add the pink food coloring in very small quantities.
Whipped Dark chocolate ganache
- Place the chocolate cut into pieces in a bowl.
- Bring the whole liquid cream to the boil, then pour it twice over the chocolate.
- Mix with a spatula, the ganache should be smooth and completely melted chocolate.
- Cover on contact with cling film and leave to stand overnight in the fridge.
Assembly the naked cake
- Cut the cakes with a cake leveler to obtain 4 layers of chocolate cake of the same height.
- Take out the chocolate ganache and mix it with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes to slightly thicken it.
- Use a cake decorating turntable to make it easier to assemble and smooth the cake.
- Place a cake board on the turntable with a small touch of IMBC in the center to secure the cake to the base.
- Place a first layer of cake and, using the pastry bag with a star icing tip, containing the pink buttercream, swirl around the edges without overflowing, then fill the center with the pastry bag containing the dark chocolate ganache
- Place the 2nd layer of cake on top and repeat this step for all layers.
- Decorate the top of the cake in the same way with the buttercream and the ganache.
- Put the naked cake back in the fridge and take the cake out about 30 minutes before serving to loosen the buttercream.