The chocolate sponge cake recipe, an easy and perfect recipe, for a soft and light genoise to make a birthday cake, an entremet or a layer cake.
The recipe of the home-made sponge cake is a super soft and ultra light cake, the basic recipe in French pastry, made only with eggs, sugar, flour and cocoa.
For the gluten-free version of the chocolate sponge cake go further down in this article 😉 !
Also, this chocolate sponge cake is very easy to prepare, few ingredients, a quick preparation with only a stand mixer or electric mixer, a round cake pan.
And you can make the quantities of this recipe in a 8 inch/20 cm mould like here or in a 6 inch / 15 cm diameter mould to have a higher cake.
This chocolate cake recipe is perfect for :
- The dark forest
- A chocolate layer cake
- An entremet
- A chocolate rolled cake
Materials and ingredients for this recipe
- A mixture of flour and cornstarch for a lighter cake.
- White powdered sugar, but you can also use cane sugar or other whole sugar.
- Eggs at room temperature!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Salt, a small pinch (optional)
- Liquid or powder vanilla extract (optional)
My materials :
- A stand mixer or an electric mixer
- A round aluminum cake pan
- Baking paper
- A soft pastry spatula
- A cake tester
- A cake leveler
- A cake rack
How to make a chocolate sponge cake
- Start by breaking the eggs at room temperature in the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk.
- Then add the white powdered sugar and beat at high speed for about 5 minutes. (Until the preparation triples in volume).
- And meanwhile, in another bowl mix together the dry ingredients, flour, cornstarch, unsweetened cocoa powder, pinch of salt and vanilla powder.
- Then sift the dry ingredients over the bowl containing the egg-sugar mixture.
- And gently using a soft pastry spatula, stir to incorporate the dry ingredients, starting from the outside of the bowl and working towards the center. (Be careful not to mix too quickly, so as not to make the preparation fall back and scrape the bottom well, as the dry ingredients remain in the bottom).
- Then pour the chocolate cake preparation into your round cake pan lined with baking paper.
- And bake in a preheated oven for the time indicated, without opening the oven door while baking.
- Finally, let your cake cool a little in its pan before unmoulding and let it cool completely on a cake rack.
- And cut your cake when it is cold, in 3 layers of equal thickness using a cake leveler.
How to store the sponge cake
The sponge cake can be stored at room temperature for 3 to 5 days, or you can also keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
For a gluten-free chocolate sponge cake
And to make a version of this gluten-free chocolate sponge cake recipe, simply replace the wheat flour with another gluten-free flour such as :
How to make a successful homemade sponge cake
To make the most of this recipe and avoid the "sponge cake misfires" such as: "sponge cake that does not rise", "sponge cake that collapses after cooking" or "sponge cake that is not soft".
- Pay attention to the quantities, weigh your ingredients well.
- Follow well the indications and the order of preparation of the homemade sponge cake.
- Use the appropriate baking utensils.
- Mix gently with a pastry spatula to fully incorporate the flour and cocoa without dropping the dough and keep it soft.
- Do not open the oven during baking.
- Let your cake cool completely before cutting it.
More sponge cake recipesPrint
Chocolate sponge cake
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10 parts
The easy, homemade chocolate sponge cake recipe for a soft cake 8 inch/20 cm in diameter by 5 cm in height or for a higher cake 6 inch/ 15 cm in diameter.
- 6 Eggs
- 120 g Sugar (white powdered)
- 75 g Flour
- 75 g Cornstarck
- 30 g Cocoa powder (unswetened)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 338°F / 170°C and line a 8 inh / 20 cm diameter round cake pan.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, place the eggs and sugar and beat with a whisk for about 5 minutes, until the mixture triples in volume.
- Then sift the dry ingredients together into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Immediately mix with a soft spatula, gently mixing from the outside inwards to incorporate the dry ingredients without dropping the preparation. (Be careful because dry ingredients often remain at the bottom of the vat).
- Pour your cake batter into your pan and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Do not open the oven before the first 35 minutes, then check the baking with a cake tester or the blade of a knife, if the cake still feels too soft, continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before removing it from the mould and allowing it to cool completely on a cake rack.
- Cut your cake with a sponge cake lyre preferably when it is cold.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: cake, Dessert
- Cuisine: french
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 43
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 98
Keywords: chocolate cake, chocolate genoise, chocolate sponge cake
Leave a Reply